Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas and electric

Options
  • 23-02-2007 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

New house

Just had electric at 192 DEC& JAN
    and gas 360 DEC & JAN

And I thought I was conservative with the gas.... The standing and vat is almost 100 euros ....wow

Just wondering if its better to use the timer on the boiler or the stat @ 20 would that save any gas????

House is gas heating with hob
    Oven is electric

All appliances are A rated

any help on reducing both

Garyh3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Gas - One hour one, half hour off. One hour on, half hour off etc etc.

Electricity, plug out everything that you don't need. Don't leave chargers plugged in when not actually charging. Don't leave T.V. etc on standby. Use energy effecient light bulbs etc, wash cloths at 30 instead of 40.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I have a timer on my gas central heating that gives 1 hour boosts.
    I use this whenever it's cold -- no way would I leave the heating on all day.

The Gas company are laughing all the way to the bank at people who run the heating all the time.

As for the gangs of €100k+ wasters in the ESB --- well they're having a good time at our expense too !

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Ok I really should unplug the TV and Sky will that save much ?

The gas boiler I only have it on about maybe 5 hrs per day max thats why Im wondering why the gas is high or is it high?

The gas bill said that I used about 7,000 units seem a lot to me for a boiler that is only on about 5 hr per day

The gas fire was on about 4 times in December

Would I save gas if I did what Sleipnir suggests 1hr on 1/2 off

thanks

Garyh3

Advertisement