Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weirdo on the phone

• 23-02-2007 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Don't know where to post this so move it if needs be. I put an ad on the net about two months ago and left my landline number and some weirdo rang twice back then about the furniture I'd advertised. Can't say why he was a weirdo but he freaked me out! He kind of whispered and spoke quite quickly. He said something like is it a small bed cos I'm a small person! Anyway he just rang me a minute ago on my mobile and I'm freaked out cos I never put my mobile no. in the ad!!:eek:
    I'm so freaked out by this and I know for definite it was the same bloke. Has this happened to anyone before? Have no idea where he got my mobile number from but I have posted other ads and may have left my mobile number but not about furniture and thats what he asked me about a minute ago!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Where did you place the ad?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

That's creepy! Can you block him?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

"When a stranger calls" sequel film?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Get the ad removed from wherever it is for a start if possible then if the chap calls again, use this. A great investment. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

ignore unknown numbers and his number

if in doubt ur phone company will block the number.

Got prank phone calls from some kid a few months back just stopped answering private numbers and they got board.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It's one of your mates tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Anytime he rang it was on private number but he hasn't rang in two months. I posted the ads on gumtree the Buy and Sell and Adverts.ie so it's impossible to track down and I am nearly 100% certain I didn't post my mobile number so i hope to god I don't know the weirdo!! Should I call the guards or is that a bit much? He wasn't threatening or anything just god damn freaky!

I dont know anyone it could be personally I just have this weird feeling that he is tracing everything I'm doing online. Is that possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Well you can get your ad removed from adverts.ie (send me a PM if you want and I'll help), don't know about the others. The guards probably won't do much but if it keeps up and is bothering you then keep a record of the number of times this person is calling you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭JaysusMacfeck

Just give him the bed for free and be done with it.

• Advertisement

Ive removed all the ads now except for buy and sell but am very worried now because I've noticed I had my mobile number on an ad about childcare in the buy and sell and in the other ads on adverts.ie and gumtree it was about furniture and the only thing tying them is the town I live in. But when he rang my mobile he asked about the furniture advertised on the other sites....the ones that only had my landline! Is he a sad fecker just rooting through ads on all the sites or what?

Just give him the bed for free and be done with it.

The bed was already given away when he rang!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

foxy06 wrote:
    I just have this weird feeling that he is tracing everything I'm doing online.

No I'm not!

Ah p!ss off! I'm paranoid enough as it is thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

there's an incredibly high amount of perverts on gumtree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

foxy06 wrote:
    Ah p!ss off! I'm paranoid enough as it is thanks!

Hey, no need for that. 'tis only a joke.

Ah I know.....still could be anyone though.....have to be careful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Don't worry about it. There probably really is a good explanation for it. Maybe he saw the bed for sale, and clicked to see what else you had for sale in case there was something else he'd buy. If he does call again then you should see about getting his number blocked. I think phone companies can get the number when it's listed as private. They won't tell you what it is, but they'll block it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

seansouth wrote:

Yup. Must be someone you know. He said you were a small person and he has your mobile number. It's someone taking the p1ss

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just get a whistle and if he rings again use it to deafen the bastárd - it will make him think twice about ringing you again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

NutJob wrote:
    ignore unknown numbers and his number

if in doubt ur phone company will block the number.

Got prank phone calls from some kid a few months back just stopped answering private numbers and they got board.

If it just kids messing, you could just put the phone down (without hanging up) - they'll use up all their credit and eventually realise they're wasting their money. The foghorn's a bit extreme, but I guess if the caller's a really big freak it might work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

If you have his number then play the same game with him. Post his number in the personals section of the buy and sell :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Rabies wrote:
    If you have his number then play the same game with him. Post his number in the personals section of the buy and sell :)

OR give it to 419 scammers :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Thats what you get for putting your contact details on the internet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

You should ask him over to your house so you can try out the bed together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Friends of mine has a recording of some farmer asking about a car advertised in the paper. It goes on to ask about details of the car and then says something like "well if you aren't selling a car then why did you put a feckin ad in the paper?!?!?"

He used it on one of his uncles and it freaked him out and the uncle at the time was selling a van so he tried to sell it to him. Quite funny but really wierd. I'll see if I can dig up the recording.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

foxy06 wrote:
    I dont know anyone it could be personally I just have this weird feeling that he is tracing everything I'm doing online. Is that possible?
    We can offer that service if you wish.

Sorry, what I mean is give some nerd that you trust your details and see what they can find on the net about you.

I was able to get the following details of a spammer: home address, phone numbers, fathers work, details of the holiday house, photo of mother ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Is his mother good looking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't recollect, but she was a bit past it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We had some weirdo ringing our flat yesterday. Nobody has our flat number except my flatmate's friends, so I imagine it was random calling. Anywho, the flatmate answered the phone the first time it rang, and then ran into my room, freaked out. So I answered it the next time. First thing he said was (in a low voice), "My bottom is bare". It transpired that he would like me to smack his bare bottom, seeing as he had been a naughty boy...

He got bored of my inane responses soon and hung up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Kick him in the gee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I assume you have told him that the bed has been sold, and all other pieces of furniture? (You didn't even say the bed *was* sold until someone asked) Then ask him not to ring again politly. If he continues, then you might have reason to be a little freaked, but I doubt it's anything to worry about and you can always just buy a new mobile, house, life and internet persona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Oh ffs, just call him back and let a roar at the twerp. Make sure he understands that if he bothers you again the next person he'll be getting a call from will be the guards, who have just no sense of humour at all. The best way to deal with bullies is head on.

I would have rang him back but he is on private number and I told him on the three occasions that the bed was gone but he still rang back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

just tell him ur a minger. problem solved. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Tell him you'll crush him if he rings again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Tell him you're me.
    Nobody ever rings me.

aaaaah! pm me your no. I'll stalk you out of the kindness of my heart!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Its not clear from your post OP, have you told him the furniture is gone? If so and he keeps ringing, then you tell him he's harrassing you and you're reporting him to the gardai. I wouldnt worry about it, it doesnt sound threatening.

The gardai will sort it out but make sure you're clear on whether its harrassment or not! Just cos he's a quite voice, doesnt make him a weirdo! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

seansouth wrote:

Agree with that. OP, I would have thought that'd be the obvious answer.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Faith wrote:
    We had some weirdo ringing our flat yesterday. Nobody has our flat number except my flatmate's friends, so I imagine it was random calling. Anywho, the flatmate answered the phone the first time it rang, and then ran into my room, freaked out. So I answered it the next time. First thing he said was (in a low voice), "My bottom is bare". It transpired that he would like me to smack his bare bottom, seeing as he had been a naughty boy...

He got bored of my inane responses soon and hung up.
    Always nice to know what sort used to live in your flat isn't it...
    :p

Advertisement