Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be willing to repeat?

Options
  • 23-02-2007 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭

If everything were to go balls-up in June and you wind up not getting your course, would you repeat? Or, are you taking the attitude that, "I'm only doing this once, so let's make it worthwhile"? Or, are you repeating...

Would you repeat? 56 votes

I'm only doing this once...
    0% 0 votes
    If I got none of my choices.
    37% 21 votes
    Number 1 or bust, I'd repeat.
    23% 13 votes
    No-way-José!
    7% 4 votes
    I am repeating...
    21% 12 votes
    Atari Textbook
    10% 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

NEVER!
    If I made a balls of it I would never go through this process again,I have even said that to myself in Fifth year.

In the unlikely event I don't get in to my course, I would do a one year PLC course which "links" to University and DIT courses etc, or in the really unlikely event, just apply for Advanced Entry when I finish a Computing cert.
    (with decent grades of course;))
    There is more than one way to get into College, except for places like Trinity and Medicine courses(you really will have to repeat unfortunately)

I just couldent bring myself to repeat.
    Learning the same courses for three years:eek:
    No way would I repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Famous_Séamus

Naikon wrote:
    Learning the same courses for three years:eek:

Thats what we did for the J.Cert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 x-xRaCheLx-x

i made a balls of my subject choices in 5th yr n am findin a gud few of my subjects rlly hard t gt d good grades in...so yeh if it came down to it n i didn gt my 1st choice id repeat bt pick subjects that i know i cud do withou banging my head against a brick wall instead of havn that "im sure it will b grand" attitude i had in 5th yr...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

To quote An Triail "b'fhearr liom mé féin a bhá san abhainn"
    If any of you honours Irish people don't understand what that means, you're screwed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

I'd prefer die in the river?

Anyway, no, there's no chance I'll ever repeat. I've enough back up plans that I would like to think I'm going to Dublin, maybe Galway, no matter what. Another year up here would be a nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I'd prefer die in the river?

Actually, it's "I'd prefer to drown myself in the river".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Yeah, wasn't sure about the bhá bit at all. Though it looked a bit like bás...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Taekwon-joe

I would never repeat it. I have found this year to be the worst by far. I would hate to go through it again. As already stated, there are other ways around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Nope, never...

If worst came to worst and I got nowhere near the points I wanted for everything... I'd join FÁS, or take up organised crime maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Nope. After A levels and their randomness I'm finding the structure of the LC really easy. I know I didn't do my best for the mocks so will have to start revising but it's really quite an easy exam if you just learn off the formulas for structuring a question in each subject. The courses aren't that big.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Ah I suppose I would if I totally screwed up or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

It depends, if I did really bad on the day and didnt get my top few choices then I would. It would depend alot on my parents also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

definately...if i didn't get my first two choices. i know it would be complete torture going back to school, and spending another year in this craphole of a town i call home, but if i feel that i will benefit in the long run then yeah I'd repeat without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

I am repeating, it's not so bad. Most people who don't get what they want end up dropping out and repeating anyway, or else wasting a few years not knowing what to do.(Sometimes after that repeating.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

if i got none of my choices i would or even just one of the ones on the bottom of the list... like if i REALLY REALLY had to i would!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭PeterMC

Yeah, Im repeating. Its really not that bad....just SOOOOOOOOOO boring!!! Although, the thing is a whole lot easier the second time round TBH, I cant believe the Dept even let it happen and besides its only 8 months like, sometimes I hate it, other times I dont mind. Tonight is a bad example - Im home (Pres on Monday) My friends are out :(
    Good example - Next September(HOPEFULLY!), Im happy with my course and out with my friends! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Hmm, don't think I'd repeat. In the unlikely event of not getting my first choice (which is the lowest points-wise on my list, so the others would be irrelevent), I think I'd pursue other possible career options (in my case, photography.). I'm not entirely sure what I want to do with my life anyway, half of the reason I'm going to college is to live the college life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

Dont think i could repeat. Re living all this stress.... Plus not to forget that you'll more than likely lose contact with most of your friends

My cousin repeated, and even though she worked harder she actually got less points than the year before:eek:
    She still regrets it last time I asked her.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭PeterMC

Naikon wrote:
    My cousin repeated, and even though she worked harder she actually got less points than the year before:eek:
    I really hate those kinds of stories... ;)

And as for losing contact with your friends, I think all it does is show you who you 'real' friends actually are! If anything I see some of them more now, than ever before!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

Naikon wrote:

yeh i find that so unlucky.!! my cousin repeated last year. the first time she sat her leavng cert she only got 430 (she was hoping to do psychology-540). so she studied her ass off and pulled out a 540, but the points rose to 545 and she didnt get her place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭stepperupper

moral of the story... don't repeat! No, if you really want medicine/vetinary/dentistry etc. you'll have to. Otherwise go to an IT and then transfer to a Uni after 3 yrs. If you completely F|_|CK up do a PLC course then go to the IT then the Uni. Basically it takes longer but you still end up with the same degree as every1 else. Failing honours maths is my biggest worry and I can't drop to pass cuz it's required!

yeh i find that so unlucky.!! my cousin repeated last year. the first time she sat her leavng cert she only got 430 (she was hoping to do psychology-540). so she studied her ass off and pulled out a 540, but the points rose to 545 and she didnt get her place!

Man, that really sucks:(

I mean I know the system is meant to be transparent, but being five points from the requirment and not getting anything really sucks.
    Its stories like this that really make me wonder about our so called internationally renowned "Education System".

PeterMC wrote:
    I really hate those kinds of stories... ;)

And as for losing contact with your friends, I think all it does is show you who you 'real' friends actually are! If anything I see some of them more now, than ever before!

QFT:)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

i used to say i would if i didnt get what i wanted, but no, there is no chance u will see me doing this 2wice...another year of homwork, teachers, study, tests, general nastiness??
    And the fact that all ur friends will beliving it up in college while ur stuck repeating??No thank u!!

thoughts of having to do it again is incentive enough to bust the study this year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Failing honours maths is my biggest worry and I can't drop to pass cuz it's required!

Dude, if theres a chance ur going to fail, maybe u shouldnt be doing a course where maths is a huge requirement??!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

No way!!!!! No fuuuckkiiiiing waaaaaaaay!

Advertisement