Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Arts and fashion show

Options
  • 23-02-2007 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

I have seen ticket master add for this where will I finf further info??

Google brings up old ones?:confused:
    cheers
    DM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Well there's a launch next Tuesday so I'm sure the details will be floating about soon enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Dunno if you read this but tickets ranging from €25 - €50 with proceeds going to a very worthy cause for Down Syndrome Centre. Revs and Director playing too! http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/18003E50AF24430D?artistid=953967&majorcatid=10003&minorcatid=216

Great to see the show back after last years disapearance. I may even go, I really should be modelling though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

my sister is the girl on the ticketmaster website, she was well chuffed with herself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Dunno if you read this but tickets ranging from €25 - €50 with proceeds going to a very worthy cause for Down Syndrome Centre. Revs and Director playing too!...

Cool.Its great to see the fashion show going in this more fun direction. Julian Benson was leading it down a really sleazy fashion route.

Good charity and Good bands,I may just go!
    Is anyone helping out in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

panda100 wrote:

I may or may not be doing photography for it, I was meant to be doing it but it turns out its on the night before the GAMSAT exam... boo urns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Dunno if you read this but tickets ranging from €25 - €50 with proceeds going to a very worthy cause for Down Syndrome Centre. Revs and Director playing too! http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/18003E50AF24430D?artistid=953967&majorcatid=10003&minorcatid=216

Great to see the show back after last years disapearance. I may even go, I really should be modelling though.....

Didn't the revs break up before Christmas??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

panda100 wrote:

I'm helping out in it I think, molc's job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Didn't the revs break up before Christmas??

From what I know they never split up, I think they're taking time out after the non-stop touring and crap they've done over the past few years. They're really sound blokes and I think they've proven that by not turning down playing a charity fashion show during their time off. Nice one lads! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

They're fantastic live anyway. Stole the show in NY.

I'm so dubious about much of the Fashion Show but I'd be so disappointed if it wasn't a big success for the charity's sake, since they're doing so much of the work. I don't think much of some of the UCD affiliated people who work with it (not talking about the students at all here) but the students they usually have involved are very dedicated as a rule and the models/dancers work so hard.

Panda - Julian never told people to lose weight, and was genuinely concerned about those models who appeared to have eating disorders - unlike his replacements. The fashion show could do a lot worse than Benson, as last year and the year before proved. You may not like him, but he went a long way to getting the Fashion Show to where it was and the people he had working for him could organise anything by the time the fashion show went up.

Blush_01 wrote:

Panda - Julian never told people to lose weight, and was genuinely concerned about those models who appeared to have eating disorders - unlike his replacements. The fashion show could do a lot worse than Benson, as last year and the year before proved. You may not like him, but he went a long way to getting the Fashion Show to where it was and the people he had working for him could organise anything by the time the fashion show went up.

I never said anything about him telling people to lose weight?:confused: Of course he didnt. He was just taking the fashion show down quite a risque,sleazy,'girls wearing nipple tassles and not much else' route. I just think that a fashion show to raise money for charity should be what the organisers now are doing with no sleazy underwear section and more bands and craic. Its a university Charoty fashion show not a milan fashion catwalk.

Credit where credit is due though,Julian Benson did raise a lot of money for charity and put his heart and soul into the project.

• Advertisement

That sort of idea about losing weight or not putting it on was sent around to models the last year it was held. One of the girls I lived with was sent an email before Christmas of 2004 as she was a model and in it it basically implicated that they were not to indulge and also named a number of low calorie alcoholic drinks. Not exactly a great image to send out.

Actually come to think of it my house mate dropped out of the fashion show as a result of this email as she felt it was utterly unnecessary.

. One of the girls I lived with was sent an email before Christmas of 2004 as she was a model and in it it basically implicated that they were not to indulge and also named a number of low calorie alcoholic drinks. Not exactly a great image to send out.

Actually come to think of it my house mate dropped out of the fashion show as a result of this email as she felt it was utterly unnecessary.

OMG!You are joking right?Im not suprised your flatmate dropped out!

No, if only I was. If I recall correctly it said a certain rocky mountain beer should be the choice over normal beer as it was fewer calories amongst other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

That was post-Benson, wasn't it? I was a fresher in 03/04 so I was in second year in 04/05. Yeah, that was the replacements, Steph. They were unreal. Lovely guys, but unreal.

Sorry Panda, what I was getting at was that regardless of the sleaze (others may not see it as being sleazy given the setting, but if that's how you felt about it then that's as valid as anything else) Julian cared about his models well-being. He may have been a perfectionist (and his idea of a joke at times was pretty stressful) but he cared about what he was doing and the people who worked for him. The Fashion Show benefited greatly from his contacts, his expertise and his drive. 'sall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

One of the girls I lived with was sent an email before Christmas of 2004 as she was a model and in it it basically implicated that they were not to indulge and also named a number of low calorie alcoholic drinks.
    In fairness, is it really that bad? If all it did was to "implicate they not indulge". Hell, we shouldn't really indulge anyway!

To perform to the best of their ability, they should look after themselves. In sport, if you planned on partaking in an event, you would ensure you were in top form, and bad diet and drinking doesn't really help you, now, does it?
    I don't think it's that big a stretch across to modelling. Asking people to be in their best shape (the reason they were picked in the first place!). I mean, if I picked a team 2 months ago based on how they have been playing at that time, and if they weren't in similar shape today, I'd think twice.

Now, if you were picked (for modelling) in the first place, you were probably not a big over-indulger in any case. So where's the problem in asking people to be extra cautious.
    (Having said that, I would draw the line at asking people to lose weight.)

Okay here's where I see the problem: you think just because they were told to not over indulge it was ok. They were told not to put on weight, I have a problem with that, what if there was someone who was a little paranoid about there weight who had gotten into the show, you get that email and what do you think??? Oh god, they could drop me if I put anything on, I had better get really really careful - cue over zealous care of what you're eating.

To send out an email like that is bloody wrong. I don't care about your little comparasion, this is a hell of a lot different. They're sending out the message you must be perfect and conform in every single way, my god it's a charity fashion show organised by students, its not Milan Fashion week. You should be allowed to enjoy christmas, not be told to be careful abotu what you eat all the time, if you choose to so be it, a message like that shouldn't be sent out to students.

We had a huge row going on in the college earlier in the year about the portrayal of women on posters in UCD and that it was unfair the stress that was put on female students to look liek these posters etc. Can you honestly say that sending out an email like this wouldn't in the slightest go with the whole negativity of body image that this row was talking about?????

Oh yeah Blush you are indeed correct, I was talking of the 04/05 team not Julien.

Fashion show clones are going round campus with leaflets as I write. Cant tell them apart they all have bleached blonde hair and that thick black eyeliner on and they all look like they could do with a nice sandwhich.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

what if there was someone who was a little paranoid about there weight who had gotten into the show, you get that email and what do you think??? Oh god, they could drop me if I put anything on, I had better get really really careful - cue over zealous care of what you're eating.
    I agree that message may be seen. But like you say yourself, only by the paranoid.
    If people must screen every notice and email to make sure it doesn't offend the paranoid, then very little would get done. Especially when it's a valid point like the above email was.

I should have said self concious rather than paranoid. But the point still stands, it sends out the wrong idea, god knows we spend enough time looking at skinny people in magazines and air brushed women all over the place. Wouldn't it be lovely if for once a fashion event was held where pressure wasn't put on those participating to keep trim or indeed lose weight?????

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I prefer normal women as opposed to stick insects. Curves can be very sexy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 jishouse

As regards Julian Benson's contribution, it is absolutely outstanding. The UCD fashion show would not be where it is now if it wasn't for him. He took risks, he took gambles and supported all his models 100%. He didn't care whether you were black, white, orange or pink and he never cared about anybody's size. All he wanted was for everybody to be comfortable in their skins and do the best they could for the college. I myself was a geek in 1st year coming into college a few years ago and if it wasn't for julian seeing something in me that no one else did, I would not be doing half the things I am doing today. He opened so many doors for me and for a lot of people who have done that show. Look at rosanna, roz lipsett, eoin macken, yare jegbefume, eoghan mcdermott, John Graham and many more have come through the UCD fashion show gates and are now prominent features in the model,acting and dancing world. The use of "nipple tassels" in that particular show was very tasteful and not sleazy in any way. The underwear sections were for comic value as lads where in their underwear to, he asked all the girls who participated in it, would they be comfortable doing and never forced anyone, if they didn't want to do it then he would never of done those scenes. Look at universities like DCU, DIT and Trinity trying to emulate what UCD have done and none could ever say they are in the same league as UCD.Once again, I emphasise that if it wasn't for Julian's risks and dedication to the cause, the UCD fashion show would never of made it to the point and would not be regarded as the most popular university in the country. If you see some of the celebrity line ups that have come to the show, its uncanny and amazing for a college to do something like that.

jishouse wrote:
    He didn't care whether you were black, white, orange or pink and he never cared about anybody's size. .

You got the orange part right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

you would exclude people based on their skin colour?? That's very prejudiced!

Advertisement