Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Memory for laptop ?

• 23-02-2007 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Hello ,could someone help me with an upgrade i need to do.
    I've got a 1.6 centrino laptop with 512ram with 3200 written on it.
    What type of memory would I need to get ,could I buy a 1GB module and put it in with a 256MB or would I have to buy two 512Mb?

Thanks ,
    Brian.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

straight off it looks like its PC3200 memory , laptops usually take sodimms ,easily available and fairly cheap ,

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10522

however to be sure , and assuming your laptop is a well enough known brand name , use the memory finder on crucial.com to find out exactly what memory the laptop takes.

http://www.crucial.com/

Note there is a version of this selector on komplett in the memory section too ,

Assuming you have a slot free , then you can put any size module in there , as far as I know there is no pairing requirement for most laptops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Great link mathias ,thanks for your help.
    Would you buy from the crucial site yourself ,I can get 2GB's of ram for 200euro. 2 x 1GB 533MHz DDR2 4200 from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Shop4memory.com are also very good for memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

www.memoryc.com is the updated site for shop4memory prices better there too

Will changing from 512mb DDr2 400MHZ to 2gb DDr2 533MHZ make my machine run faster for applications like photoshop or will it just stop it from seizing up ??.

A-DATA and GSkill are the two brands available for me at memoryc ,costing me the same for 2x1GB modules as directly from crucial UK. Crucial ship for 7euro USPS from the uk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

_Brian_ wrote:
    Will changing from 512mb DDr2 400MHZ to 2gb DDr2 533MHZ make my machine run faster for applications like photoshop or will it just stop it from seizing up ??.
    Yes, very much so, but if 400MHz RAM was factory fitted its unlikely your motherboard can run 533MHz.

But 2Gb is probably overkill (overspend).
    1Gb will sort you out nicely, unless your laptop uses shared graphics memory in which case 1.25G or 1.5G is worthwhile.

Yes you can put in a 1Gb SO-DIMM with a 256Mb or a 512Mb

Heres some details I've found about my laptop

"MEMORY
    256MB/512MB modules DDR2 400MHZ
    (512 /1GB modules DDR2 533MHz)*
    2 SO-DIMM memory slots (no memory on board)
    *project option."

I don't know what project option is ,my laptop is a fujitsu siemens M7440G and has shared memory for the graphics.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

_Brian_ wrote:
    I don't know what project option is ,my laptop is a fujitsu siemens M7440G and has shared memory for the graphics.
    lol, neither do I
    It may be mentioned in the manual you got with the laptop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Here's the Shop4memory price for your machine. I have used them a lot and find them good.

is_that_so wrote:
    Here's the Shop4memory price for your machine. I have used them a lot and find them good.

The crucial ram is cheaper on crucial.com ,is there any difference in crucial ram and transcend ram. I would have thought crucial ram is healthier.

Price http://www.crucial.com/eu/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=04806339A5CA7304
    I do try and buy irish ,but I'd rather better ram.

• Advertisement
Advertisement