Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mattie Kiely's Closed :(

Options
  • 24-02-2007 3:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

Information on it here and here. It'll never be reknowned as a culinary delight, but let's face it, you didn't go because the food was good. I'm disapointed I didn't get one last double burger and large chips doused in vinegar and red sauce :(

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

oh dear :( where will i know get my uber crap batterburger and tinned peas on my chips. such a great lunch when you're working in town and it's open

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I cant even remember the last time I saw that place open; I thought it closed years ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

nah, he just had opening hours like the golden fry in ballinlough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

It's sad to hear, he is such a character. I remember whenever my brother and uncle were in the city, they would go in there for lunch and after a few weeks of the two of them going in i went with my uncle instead, first words out of Mattie's mouth were "Jesus, is he after getting a sex change".....couldn't help but laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭applehunter

God I hate living in Dublin.

My fav chip shop in the world. Mattie knew my order by heart.

Always laughed when a naive buck came in asking for Curry sauce.

Will be sadly missed.:(

Another Cork landmark falls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

That's the last decent chipper in the city centre gone, as Hoggy's doesn't count. What a pity!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

At least its not being bought to be turned in to apartments!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

I was on bus home from Limerick yesterday when my brother rang to say he was up in town. I turned to my friend who was on the bus with me 'oh my brother can pick us up as he's in town..some place is closing down and he's at that..coulda sworn he said a chipper but im obviously hearing things!'
    We got such a laugh when it turned out i wasnt hearing things..So we all went down and got chips and burgers..yumm!!
    Was gas though, my brother and his friend when they went in they were like 'the usual'..they devestated the place gone..had to get pictures of them outside the place n'all:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Always laughed when a naive buck came in asking for Curry sauce.

Or asked for a napkin! A friend of mine did that once and had a newspaper thrown at him.

Now, maybe I am being pedantic here, but would i be wrong in saying matty was the guy who worked in the kitchen, and the guy out front is his brother, whose name is not Matty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Buddy of mine in Australia was a huge Mattie's fan, and was devastated enough to blog it after I send him the article in The Examiner :

http://violacharlie.blogspot.com/2007/02/end-of-era.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

gimmick wrote:
    ..would i be wrong in saying matty was the guy who worked in the kitchen, and the guy out front is his brother, whose name is not Matty?
    I believe it was Mattie who was out the front and his brother in the kitchen in the back..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

Fast_Mover wrote:
    I believe it was Mattie who was out the front and his brother in the kitchen in the back..

this is correct...

Advertisement