Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site Critique (finally complete)

Options
  • 24-02-2007 3:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    So I've finally finished VanTasks.ie, my designer/developer still has to clean some of the code from me messing around and I have to add image tags, SEO descriptions and page descriptions etc, but as far as looks and function go, it's pretty much finished.

I'd just like to thank everyone who helped in any way or provided any suggestions or feedback.

So now I hand it over to you guys for your comments and criticism:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Nice. Simple. Clean. I like it. I cannot fault it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

the quote form doesn't check for invalid fields, actually none of your forms on the website does.

You should try changing the title of the page based on what linked has been clicked for SEO purposes.

Plain and simple plus to the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the comments:)

louie, so that was you sending me all the blank quote requests:D the required fields will be sorted by my designer on Monday. I'm not too sure what you mean about changing the title of the page though? Could you give an example please?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

look at the very top of this page in the blue bar.
    it says "Site Critique (finally complete) - boards.ie

Ok, so are you saying to change the title of the quote pages? Because all other pages are named after the link that has been clicked except the quote pages are a bit different:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Its a very nice clean design. The only thing you could think about doing is take a look at your menu again. When you select something it turns bold which is thicker and causes the spacing to change.

This effectivly causes your menu items to move left to right a little -

Other then that it looks great

Yeah that's another thing I was thinking about too, probably just underline the button of the page your on instead of bolding and making it yellow:)

Thanks for the compliments:)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cormie wrote:
    So now I hand it over to you guys for your comments and criticism:D
    hand over money instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You might want to look into using mod_rewrite to make the pages a bit more seo friendly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Nice and clean, does the job.

A few comments that I think may help you :
    • I can see 11 tick marks on the homepage. It's a bit of a head-wreck!
    • The request quote form is a bit of a mess in Firefox.
    • The forms need server-side validation and, ideally, client-side validation.
    • The text should be sized relatively using em's and not pixels. Visitors using Internet Explorer cannot resize the text.
    • There are a few very bland text elements - encapsulated text and images would be much better for catching the user's eye. For example, "To get a quote or view pricing information now, simply click here. To see if your request can be fit into a previously booked route, check out our Stand-By Routes page." - that text isn't enticing at the bottom of the page. Why not put a 'Get a quote' heading in there along with the body copy, put it in a bordered box, put some stock photography in there (obviously you'd need to find a way to balance the design.
    • Using br's and p tags with non-breaking spaces in them for horizontal spacing is a big no-no.
    • Use H (heading) tags for your page headings and nest them properly. At the moment you're using a font tag to style what should be headings. This is something your designer should address as a matter of urgency. Font tags are a schoolboy error. Styling text to act as headings and you're missing out on semantics, accessibility and you're missing out on a neat optimisation trick for search engines.
    • Some legacy HTML elements are on the page and you're trying to validate to XHTML Strict - http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vantasks.ie%2Findex.php%3Fpage_id%3D1 and http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vantasks.ie%2Findex.php%3Fpage_id%3D8&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline for example

There are a good few other issues but you should sort out the above first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Laslo wrote:
    Nice and clean, does the job.

A few comments that I think may help you :

That pretty much sums up what I was to lazy to post :)

That's quite a list:eek:

I only understand a few of the points you made and will try and work on them, the rest I'll show to my designer/developer. I think I should have used heading thingies but I chose not to myself, probably a simple fix.

Would you be able to give me a print screen of the messy quote form you see please? (It'll probably be exactly how I see it on mine, which I was happy with:p)

I'll look into the mod-rewrite thing too blacknight.

Thanks everyone:)

Advertisement