Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA International Journalism

Options
  • 24-02-2007 5:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Anyone doing this?

Would be interested in opinions on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I think this year will be the first. I was looking into it for 2009 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Yeah, think it is the first year... haven't heard of it before. Kinda makes sense since the undergraduate journalism course has a very large language component.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Actually theres no language at all in International Journalism.

I didn't really think there would be, but I assume it sets you up to work as a journalist on an international stage... kinda handy when they've got supposedly fluent graduates from the degree course. Must actually have a look at it, though I doubt I'd go and do a masters in journalism after doing the degree, as far as I've seen it's just a compressed version of the degree course more or less... but it's a cool course so I'd recommend anyone to have a look at the masters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Thanks, didn't realise it was so new.

I don't think I could justify the cost anyway, or that I'd get a great deal from it, was more curious than anything

I think I'd benefit more from some kind of investigative journalism training or a focused internship

• Advertisement

You could try the MA in Journalism ? What background are you coming from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Well I have a degree in journalism already and quite a bit of experience.

I don't think I'd get enough out of an MA to justify the cost, or have the time to do it.

I should've gone to the open night they had recently.

Oh if you've a degree in journalism I wouldn't bother with it. Did you do it in DCU or DIT ? From what I've heard of the MA in DIT it seems to be mostly the degree compressed into a shorter time and with no language.
    If you did your degree in DCU it might be of some limited use, but I doubt you could justify the cost with the benefits.
    What areas are you looking to improve on etc? If you want to do journalism I think the basic vibe is to just go out and do it. So many journalists haven't done a journalism degree and after doing a degree I really don't think there's much else you can be taught.

Advertisement