Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tvr

Options
  • 24-02-2007 5:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

TVR. they melt. When the Engine of one of those cars gets hot and the car is left sitting, bodywork, melts!

It's plastic!!

What's the point!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

And they fall apart. But they go like stink, look like sex on wheels and sound like thunder. If you can afford one as a toy, they look like alot of fun. Biggest drawback is that if anyone asks what TVR stands for, you have to tell them it's short for Trevor:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

That's funny because if you see below the Tvr is made from the same stuff that most of the supercars are. Funny i've never heard of any melting before, or falling apart for that matter! :p

"Use of Carbon fiber reinforced plastic material has been more readily adopted by low-volume manufacturers like TVR who use it primarily for creating body-panels for some of their high-end cars due to its increased strength and decreased weight

Several supercars over the past few decades have incorporated CFRP extensively in their manufacture, using it for their monocoque chassis as well as other components. Examples include the Koenigsegg CCR, Koenigsegg CCX, McLaren F1, Bugatti Veyron, Bugatti EB110, Pagani Zonda, Enzo Ferrari and Porsche Carrera GT."

Linked from Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphite_reinforced_plastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

Beady wrote:
    TVR. they melt. When the Engine of one of those cars gets hot and the car is left sitting, bodywork, melts!

It's plastic!!

What's the point!

maybe yer confused between cars and wibbly wobbly wonders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Beady wrote:

It's plastic!!

What's the point!

Where did you hear that.Do you have any links?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

MAYPOP wrote:
    maybe yer confused between cars and wibbly wobbly wonders?

brill, that comment just made my day, and now i gotta head to a shop for ice cream

My mates dad took a test drive in a Tuscan S last year and loved it, said it was great to drive and the sound was amazing, and the only reason he didnt buy it was he was movin house and the house he moved too didnt have a driveway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Beady wrote:
    What's the point!
    I suppose the point is to provide something that gives a proper raw driving experience with supercar performance for the price of, say, an M5.

Now while the mewling lemmings and ill-informed half wits that populate this forum by and large might find them a bit challenging (ew! it's not a Toyota, or a VW, or a BMW so it must be terrible) actual car entusiasts generally find them to be a very appealing proposition. As you have about 5 car enthusiasts (as opposed to resale value and reliability survey enthusiasts) it is easy to see why such a flame-bait thread would be started here.

If i wanted a unusual/unique hand built car with superb performance credentials but without 1.5 tonnes of safety gear I'd buy a TVR. If I wanted a car that would meet with the approval of the Motoring forum of boards.ie I'd buy a diesel Toyota while secretly aspiring to a 316i.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

You're great DS

Absolutely bang on by the way!

Somebody on here a few weeks ago was enthusing about a Carina II for gawd's sake.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

DS, Nail. Head.

Although you forgot the brigade who think that chipping a VAG TDI turns it into a Veyron beater.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I suppose the point is to provide something that gives a proper raw driving experience with supercar performance for the price of, say, an M5.

Now while the mewling lemmings and ill-informed half wits that populate this forum by and large might find them a bit challenging (ew! it's not a Toyota, or a VW, or a BMW so it must be terrible) actual car entusiasts generally find them to be a very appealing proposition. As you have about 5 car enthusiasts (as opposed to resale value and reliability survey enthusiasts) it is easy to see why such a flame-bait thread would be started here.

If i wanted a unusual/unique hand built car with superb performance credentials but without 1.5 tonnes of safety gear I'd buy a TVR. If I wanted a car that would meet with the approval of the Motoring forum of boards.ie I'd buy a diesel Toyota while secretly aspiring to a 316i.

Post of the year. Description of the TVR is bang on, IMO. If I had the money and wanted a car with good performance and looks to match, I'd definatley consider a TVR. Not many other cars can deliver as much power for the price, and I think they all look fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'll second that. I don't know that i'd actually buy one, but I like living in a world where such cars exist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Anan1 wrote:
    I'll second that. I don't know that i'd actually buy one, but I like living in a world where such cars exist.

Yeah the preformance of a tvr is excellent but i donot know if i would buy one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

drdre wrote:
    Yeah the preformance of a tvr is excellent but i donot know if i would buy one :)
    If I did, i'd probably keep an 88 Corolla for emergencies.;)

I'd watch what you say about Tvr's. Beware as they can be a dangerous beast. This morning the Sagaris was not a happy bunny at all. Unfortunatly she took matters into her own hands and decided to take her aggression out on my cat who was promptly swallowed while cleaning the car :eek:

tvrswallowscatec2.jpg

I raaaan (as best i could with a leg brace and limp) with the hose in one hand and the towel in the other for help to remove the bonnet to free the poor pussy cat. When i came back there he was sitting on the bonnet with a big smirk (i swear cats can smirk, he looked so smug ;) ) acting all innocent as if nothing had happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Who makes the engines and so forth for TVR? I assume they can't afford to build their own?

.. Just figured out they make their own. Pity the company has been destroyed by a 24yr old "owner". :(

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

Here's a picture of one that warped.

30biqtx.jpg

It was left ticking over too long and overheated.

The steam had no place to escape since they are so well sealed and it just inflated.

Really.

Ok i lied ..... its true, they over inflate and melt :(

tvrmeltslr7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Is that purple flip paint the one some spoted and posted in the what is seen today thread? You own it?

As for TVR's i think they nearly all look fantastic in the pictures ive seen, have yet to see one in the flesh. They are what cars should be like

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

TVRs are rubbish, they can't be reliable as my Primera or economical either.

My '07 Primera with 1000km on the clock has never let me down. Even starts first time when it's wet outside.

I'd say it'd give a TVR a real thumping on the motorway as well - it's a 1.6 sure - except maybe a Golf. And it's great on juice.

Did I say it's never let me down?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I always feel sad when people ask me SURE WHY DO YOU NEED ANYTHING BIGGER THAN A 1.6?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Funxy wrote:
    This morning my Sagaris

You have a sagaris?

Give us a spin in it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

yeah but seriously, my punto/focus/206/micra (very nippy for a 1litre) will get me there just as quickly as any TVR when you consider the traffic in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Well you dont have to drive in dublin all the time, if you were driving on motorways alot, then id rather have a TVR than a punto or focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This thread seems to have gone off on a bit of a tangent about what type of car you drive seems to be a measure of how much of a motoring enthusiast you are.

Some TVR, Porsche, etc owners may know absolutely nothing about motors or simply don't car but bought the car to improve his/her social standing or image. Whereas your average genuine motoring enthusiasts driving his/her Focus, Avensis, whatever, are simply driving their real world car, doesn't mean they are any less pasionate about motoring imo.

Everyone to their own I say. It should be about the passion the driver has for all things motoring, not just the car you drive or own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

bazz26 wrote:
    This thread seems to have gone off on a bit of a tangent about what type of car you drive seems to be a measure of how much of a motoring enthusiast you are.

Some TVR, Porsche, etc owners may know absolutely nothing about motors or simply don't car but bought the car to improve his/her social standing or image. Whereas your average genuine motoring enthusiasts driving his/her Focus, Avensis, whatever, are simply driving their real world car, doesn't mean they are any less pasionate about motoring imo.

Everyone to their own I say. It should be about the passion the driver has for all things motoring, not just the car you drive or own.

Well said. The most knowledgeable person about cars I know drives a 1988 Toyota Starlet 1.0, with 190k miles on the clock, and a 1959 Ford Zephyr.

I completly agree with you there bazz. However if you are an enthusiast i would dare say you would give Tvr a bit of respect for the fact they are such a pure drivers car. I believe the a higher percentage of pepe who own a tvr do so for enthusiast reasons, say compared to a porsche. Just my two pence worth.

P.s I agree with you completly about enthusiasts coming from a broad range across the board. But again i don't find too many of them on boards.ie . I don't think the thread was about what car you drive i think it was a bit of trolling that was pointed in a humourous direction so as not to go in a bad direction like the other thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I've only seen a couple of TVR's in the flesh and last week on the north wall was one of those times. A yellow one,not 100% on tvr models, but it sounded fantastic.I fell in love with the cerebra years ago when I saw it introduced on the old top gear,clarkson loved it and even more an uprated version that was introduced a couple of years later.Now though, they seem to get stick about reliabilty and clarkson poopoo's them.Is a degree in mechanics a must if you own one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

There was a blue Cerbera going around the Raheen Industrial Estate last summer. Twas a mental yoke :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There was a blue Cerbera going around the Raheen Industrial Estate last summer. Twas a mental yoke :)

Yeah I think I seen that in the Dell car park alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Can't agree with this. I think those who are ONLY interested in exotica/performance cars are not REAL enthusiasts. My ideal garage would have a 911 (ideally a mid '80s Carrera, non whale-tale, dark colour), a really sound LR Defender for mucking about on the land (sub-12 grand, not too fussy about the age) and maybe a BMW 320d for everyday use (or failing that a Jap saloon - Honda/Mazda/Subaru would do fine).

I also enjoy the discussions about 20-year-old Carinas though - these were part of the street furniture not so long ago. Such cars are a hell of a lot more relevant than some posing-pouch exotic. TVRs look great, sound great but ownership would be a pain in the ass I'd wager. The world would be a poorer place without such cars but they just don't float my boat. I'd actually be embarrassed to be seen in something overly ostentatious...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

pburns wrote:
    TVRs look great, sound great but ownership would be a pain in the ass I'd wager....

excelent, go buy a Carina so, leaves more TVR's for the rest of us to buy!:D

I fully intend to buy a Cerbera in the next two years, especially after seeing and hearing Cerbera's eh ...................... Cerbera up close :D;)
    does that make me wierd? that I don't care that I'll have a 4.2 V8 that will deafen as well as choke poor bunny rabbits as i pass, that it will drink more petrol than a 3 mile tailback on the M50, or that i won't be able to drive it on a "mildly moist" day for fear that it kills me?:rolleyes: nah....... real car enthuisasts are interested in all cars, from the mundane like my Carina, Avensis, and Alfa 156, to the downright ludicris like Verons, Zondas etc. its each to their own taste, and if someone has the balls (sorry Funxy;) ) to go out and get something like a TVR for sheer kicks, and not worry about such trivial issues as reliability they should be applauded, not baited with threads such as this

Advertisement