Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tvr

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Now while the mewling lemmings and ill-informed half wits that populate this forum by and large might find them a bit challenging (ew! it's not a Toyota, or a VW, or a BMW so it must be terrible) actual car entusiasts generally find them to be a very appealing proposition. As you have about 5 car enthusiasts (as opposed to resale value and reliability survey enthusiasts) it is easy to see why such a flame-bait thread would be started here.

If i wanted a unusual/unique hand built car with superb performance credentials but without 1.5 tonnes of safety gear I'd buy a TVR. If I wanted a car that would meet with the approval of the Motoring forum of boards.ie I'd buy a diesel Toyota while secretly aspiring to a 316i.

Oh, what a breath of fresh air.....

I am so sick and tired of the same B.S. being spouted on here, and that post sums it all up perfectly.

Well done DS.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 freq modulated

pburns wrote:
    TVRs look great, sound great but ownership would be a pain in the ass I'd wager.

I drive a Toyota that in my opinion looks and sounds great BUT ownership is a pain in the ass! From the amount of tax i pay, petrol she drinks, a few squeeks and rattles that are hiding anytime i take the time to fix them, the unwanted attention it brings, the worrying I do everytime I park it in a car park. . . . . . and then dont start me on how much I worry about my "Carbon Footprint" :rolleyes: !!! Do you think all this matters once I'm driving?? Does it even cross my mind??

So you wouldnt drive a Toyota either....jaysus...get a bike would ya!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

There was a blue Cerbera going around the Raheen Industrial Estate last summer. Twas a mental yoke :)

I think it's usually now parked near the apartments opposite Clohessy's in Ballycummin. Nice motor alright. Used to ohhh and ahhh at it when I was living near there.

I suppose the point is to provide something that gives a proper raw driving experience with supercar performance for the price of, say, an M5.

Now while the mewling lemmings and ill-informed half wits that populate this forum by and large might find them a bit challenging (ew! it's not a Toyota, or a VW, or a BMW so it must be terrible) actual car entusiasts generally find them to be a very appealing proposition. As you have about 5 car enthusiasts (as opposed to resale value and reliability survey enthusiasts) it is easy to see why such a flame-bait thread would be started here.

If i wanted a unusual/unique hand built car with superb performance credentials but without 1.5 tonnes of safety gear I'd buy a TVR. If I wanted a car that would meet with the approval of the Motoring forum of boards.ie I'd buy a diesel Toyota while secretly aspiring to a 316i.

Well said.
    This forum desperately needs a muppet genocide.

I saw a three page thread last week that was talking about how a D reg is the best plate for a car...
    Dear god motors, get a grip.. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

bazz26 wrote:
    Some TVR, Porsche, etc owners may know absolutely nothing about motors or simply don't car but bought the car to improve his/her social standing or image. Whereas your average genuine motoring enthusiasts driving his/her Focus, Avensis, whatever, are simply driving their real world car, doesn't mean they are any less pasionate about motoring imo.
    Seriously - You reckon that the average Porsche or TVR driver is actually less likley to be car enthusiast than your average Avensis driver? Most Porsche or TVR owners & drivers I have met tend to be highly enthusiastic about their particular cars and cars in general. They also tend to be just a leetle bit daft in the head, which might explain why they put so much of their hard earned into such a fast depreciating luxury. Sure I've also met the ones who simply must have a Porsche because that rotter Timothy in the Golf Club has been rubbing my nose in it with his Boxster.

I've also met Avensis drivers who believe their car improves their standing and image - witness annoying smug twat in the ad. I have never - NEVER met an Avensis driver who seems in the least interested in cars. I'm sure they exist, but isn't it odd that I've met 3 TVR owners and 5 Porsche owners who are all complete petrol heads? I assure you it is not because of some rarified social circle I hang out in - I drive a Skoda.

I always see the phrase "genuine" enthusiast associated with people who rave about the cars that the world and it's mother already own. This seems to imply that if you are lucky enough to own a Ferrari, a Porsche, a TVR or a Lamborghini (please note the spelling, DrDre) then you're not "genuine", you're only showing off how much money you have. In my experience, nothing could be further from the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I always see the phrase "genuine" enthusiast associated with people who rave about the cars that the world and it's mother already own. This seems to imply that if you are lucky enough to own a Ferrari, a Porsche, a TVR or a Lamborghini (please note the spelling, DrDre) then you're not "genuine", you're only showing off how much money you have. In my experience, nothing could be further from the truth.
    I dunno... I agree with your first post completely, but I've seen programs on lotto winners (UK) and some lassie in her 40's would go to her local Ferrari dealer and point out the one she likes. That makes me sad that a car like an F430 can go to someone who thinks all Ferraris are nice red cars. Look at westlife too, you think they knew how many bhp they had (2 of them) under the nose of their 575M's? Or even where Maranello was?!?
    TVR's on the other hand... most millionaires would think thats just another business acronym

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Biro wrote:
    .....and some lassie in her 40's would go to her local Ferrari dealer and point out the one she likes. That makes me sad .....Look at westlife too, you think they knew how many bhp they had (2 of them) under the nose of their 575M's? Or even where Maranello was?!?
    TVR's on the other hand... most millionaires would think thats just another business acronym

You're in danger of becoming that which you decry by writing stuff like that, but you're also missing another very big point......

First, unless I'm completely misguided, the majority on here are not in a position to buy these things new, if ever, so..........
    Second, if people like you decry didn't buy them new, we could never get them second/third/fourth hand. We need people like them to keep buying, to keep selling, and so on and so forth.......

At risk of being accused of showing off, that's how I came to have my nice stuff..........someone else ponied up in the showroom, and I got them down the line a bit..........TT x 2, 911 x 1, E class Avantgarde, and it's even better/worse when it comes to motorbikes..............

All good, I say...:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

galwaytt wrote:
    You're in danger of becoming that which you decry by writing stuff like that, but you're also missing another very big point......

First, unless I'm completely misguided, the majority on here are not in a position to buy these things new, if ever, so..........
    Second, if people like you decry didn't buy them new, we could never get them second/third/fourth hand. We need people like them to keep buying, to keep selling, and so on and so forth.......

At risk of being accused of showing off, that's how I came to have my nice stuff..........someone else ponied up in the showroom, and I got them down the line a bit..........TT x 2, 911 x 1, E class Avantgarde, and it's even better/worse when it comes to motorbikes..............

All good, I say...:D
    Maybe you're right. But lets say you were buying a Ferrari that was owned by becham, you'd pay a premium cause he owned it first. How is that good for the used car market?
    I do like however the way that Ferrari only offer their rare cars to the best customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

I'd agree that while the majority of Porsche, Ferrari and Lambo drivers are probably genuine enthusiasts (are we supposed to use inverted commas when we use this phrase? :p ), these are also badges that the general public associate with power and success. So inevitably some are bought by people for what they represent rather than because they truly appreciate them for what they are.

But on the other hand most people have never even heard of a TVR so its unlikely to be on the shopping list of your average lottery winner.

Personally I've always lusted after TVRs, expecially the Griffith, Caterham Sevens and AC Cobras, while I have never had the slightest desire to own a Ferrari or a Porsche (I'd make an exception for a 250 GTO or a Lamborghini Muira though.... ).

But I agree with ds20prefecture's point that on this forum too many 'enthusiasts' (there go those inverted commas again!) rate cars purely on reliability / resale value / badge respectability. All important enough things but we would (do) have a very narrow selection of cars on our roads with this mentality.

I'm driving a Citroen C6 this week. I absolutely adore it. It is sublimely beautiful in a classic Citroen style, it wafts you along in complete luxury, and it is loaded with every gadget as standard without having to refer to the optional accessories list. I firmly believe that this car will be a future classic.

Yet...if somebody were to come on here and say they wanted to buy one over some Teutonic uber-wagon, according to the prevailing wisdom they'd be told they needed their head examined. And for sure its probably going to depreciate like nobody's business (not least due to that 'prevailing wisdom'). But wouldn't the world be a poorer place if cars like the C6 didn't exist. Personally if I saw somebody driving one I'd want to shake their hand.

Back to TVRs....about 10 years ago I spent two hours with a friend driving back and forth through a tunnel in North Wales in an early production Griffith 500. Roof down, third gear, V8 rumbling and vibrating through the tunnel at three and a half thousand revs. The gear knob came off at one point and I burned my leg on the transmission tunnel, but to this day, it remains the highlight of my motoring life. Go figure Mr. Avensis driver....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I've a plan to get either a Porsche Boxster or Cayman (Haven’t decided yet) in about 4 years time. This wont come without sacrifice, and no doubt considered cracked by someone who thinks owning a car is a convenient way of getting from A to B. I don’t drink or smoke and because of Porsche purchase plan I reckon I’ll next eat Mid March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

I'm driving a Citroen C6 this week. I absolutely adore it. It is sublimely beautiful in a classic Citroen style, it wafts you along in complete luxury, and it is loaded with every gadget as standard without having to refer to the optional accessories list. I firmly believe that this car will be a future classic.
    Class - any pics? Petrol or Diesel? I'll swap you a drive in a DS for a drive in the C6?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Seriously - You reckon that the average Porsche or TVR driver is actually less likley to be car enthusiast than your average Avensis driver? Most Porsche or TVR owners & drivers I have met tend to be highly enthusiastic about their particular cars and cars in general. They also tend to be just a leetle bit daft in the head, which might explain why they put so much of their hard earned into such a fast depreciating luxury. Sure I've also met the ones who simply must have a Porsche because that rotter Timothy in the Golf Club has been rubbing my nose in it with his Boxster.

I've also met Avensis drivers who believe their car improves their standing and image - witness annoying smug twat in the ad. I have never - NEVER met an Avensis driver who seems in the least interested in cars. I'm sure they exist, but isn't it odd that I've met 3 TVR owners and 5 Porsche owners who are all complete petrol heads? I assure you it is not because of some rarified social circle I hang out in - I drive a Skoda.

I never said your average Porsche or TVR owner, I said some do.

Also so by your calculations because an ordinary joe drives an Avensis, Mondeo etc that automatically qualifies them to have no interest in cars.

I don't drive a TVR or Porsche, I drive a "real world" average car that I can afford but I still have a great passion for most things motoring. Doesn't make me less passionate than a TVR owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

I saw a C6 in the metal the other day in a showroom and it was very much an anti-climax. When it was previewed in Autocar et al, I thought it would really get my juices flowing when it arrived on these shores, but alas no. Apart from the leather seats, the dash area & cabin looked very bland & conservative, with no sense of occasion about it. The black paint didn't do it for me either. A lighter colour would probably complement it's exterior design much better though. I'm sure it drives/rides really well, if the comfy french style is your thing, but at 60 - 80K, no chance. Even used in 2 or 3 years time at 40% of that price, I don't think it will enter the equation.

Having said that, I would still take my hat off to any one who bought one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

The TVR is beautiful, no mistake. The Carina was practical, no mistake there either.

Who gets to define what an enthusiast IS anyway? My girlfriend thinks I'm a petrolhead because I like my cars and what i drive is a little different. I stop in the street to look at parked exotica, or old cars. So maybe I AM an enthusiast?

However, a lot of people seem to just regurgitate what they hear on Top Gear and think that makes them an afficionado.

Like what you drive. Like to drive it. That's my definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

how could one confuse a tvr with a primera stick to the tread guys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

smcgiff wrote:
    I've a plan to get either a Porsche Boxster or Cayman (Haven’t decided yet) in about 4 years time. This wont come without sacrifice, and no doubt considered cracked by someone who thinks owning a car is a convenient way of getting from A to B. I don’t drink or smoke and because of Porsche purchase plan I reckon I’ll next eat Mid March.

Buy the Cayman (or save for a 911:cool: ). The Cayman looks much more of a whole, but maybe that's my preferance for hardtops over ragtops.
    And TVRs do fall apart, and were made in large parts of plastic. That was always the way. Never was there a review in Performance Car magazine, but something flew off at speed. I believe the build quality has improved since the Russian takeover though. I'd love a Griffith. Always lusted after them.
    Someone mentioned Alfa 156 in disparaging terms earlier. I drive one, not because they were the rep car and young exec car de rigeur a few years back, but because I wanted an Alfa since I was five years old, I think the 156 is gorgeous, and they get decent power from average sized engines. And they are a cheap way to get a little piece of a great Italian marque and think about all the Giuliettas, Sprints, Cloverleafs and the Montreal that went before. They were good enough for Enzo Ferrari and the Jackal, so they're good enough for me.(Don't bother pointing out the whole Alfa/Fiat thing or the changed nature of the company. I don't care. I still love them.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

il gatto wrote:
    Buy the Cayman (or save for a 911:cool: ). The Cayman looks much more of a whole, but maybe that's my preferance for hardtops over ragtops.
    And TVRs do fall apart, and were made in large parts of plastic. That was always the way. Never was there a review in Performance Car magazine, but something flew off at speed. I believe the build quality has improved since the Russian takeover though. I'd love a Griffith. Always lusted after them.
    Someone mentioned Alfa 156 in disparaging terms earlier. I drive one, not because they were the rep car and young exec car de rigeur a few years back, but because I wanted an Alfa since I was five years old, I think the 156 is gorgeous, and they get decent power from average sized engines. And they are a cheap way to get a little piece of a great Italian marque and think about all the Giuliettas, Sprints, Cloverleafs and the Montreal that went before. They were good enough for Enzo Ferrari and the Jackal, so they're good enough for me.(Don't bother pointing out the whole Alfa/Fiat thing or the changed nature of the company. I don't care. I still love them.)

t'was me who mentioned the 156 earlier, I was just making the point that its a bit bland in comparison to a TVR for example Sagaris, Tuscan or Cerbera.

I too drive a 156, and wholeheartedly agree with your view of them :cool:
    I also have a Carina and an Avensis, reliable yes, but uber boring to drive! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

siralfalot wrote:
    t'was me who mentioned the 156 earlier, I was just making the point that its a bit bland in comparison to a TVR for example Sagaris, Tuscan or Cerbera.

I too drive a 156, and wholeheartedly agree with your view of them :cool:
    I also have a Carina and an Avensis, reliable yes, but uber boring to drive! ;)

Clue's in the name I suppose. sorry:o :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

TVR's are great - I would love a Tamora. :)

I think the original poster is only having a laugh so don't take it too seriously. We could do with more threads like this. :D

I don't visit here too often these days - the thread about the guy who was worried about being summonsed for having a hub cap missing was the last straw for me. :rolleyes:

il gatto wrote:

Yip - I think it looks far better, but every review says the Boxster is the same car for ~€7k less. Although, it's a good few years off and I'm already paranoid someone will take a knife to the softtop! :(
    il gatto wrote:
    And they are a cheap way to get a little piece of a great Italian marque and think about all the Giuliettas, Sprints, Cloverleafs and the Montreal that went before.

I think the Alfasud deserves an honourable mention here! :)

• Advertisement

smcgiff wrote:
    I think the Alfasud deserves an honourable mention here! :)

Now that I think of it, it was probably the Alfasud Sprint I used to admire as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

My TVR just melted it's bonnet today while sitting in a traffic jam.

The heat off the engine was too much for the recycled plastic.

The rumour is true after all. :(:( :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lawlynch

Lads, as a bonefide Petrol head I bought a cayman in July and havent looked back since. Always wanted to get a Porsche, worked my way up through the car ranks (fiat, alfa, audi). I didnt consider the cayman until i went to the showroom, but up against the 911 it actually looked a much better car in terms of styling, more like the classic Porsche design. The handling is absolutly incredible and having driven a friends boxter a few times I can say for sure there is a big difference in terms of stiffness and overall suspension setup feels alot more like a proper sports car,, and its Ireland so how often will you actully get a chance to drive a soft top with the roof down. personally I wouldt go soft top because of the weather in Ireland, soft top stigma (hair dressers car, etc ~) and handling draw backs (debatable I know but my experience). Performance from the 2.7 is very good, it is quicker than the published 0-60 time of 6.1 (more like 5.5) and the V6 sound is truly a joy, i often drive with the radio off and the window down for some aural pleasure! If you have any questions on the car please feel free to ask away.

Advertisement