Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bits in your juice, just WHY?!?

• 24-02-2007 9:40am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

If i wanted to eat a fruit, i would buy a fruit. If i want fruity liquid, then i buy fruit juice. Do some companies feel obliged to add extra bits to juice? The last tropicana tropical i bought was so thick with bits you could stand on it. Juice==liquid !=semi-solid pulp

grrrrrrrrr anger and such

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Yeah bit-juice is teh ghey. I stick to me apple juice. Tasty stuff.
    Smoothies with bits also should be banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I find people who get worked up over 'bits' to be a bit askew in their thinking.

'Bits' are the naturally occuring sacks where the juice once lived. They do have nutritinal carbohydrate goodness in their own right.

Next time you buy a bit-less bottle of Finches (made with "natural spring water" so it must be good for you!) have a look at the E-numbers, colouring and preservatives in the list of ingrediants. The same quantity of Coca-Cola would be less harmfull to your system.

As for 'bitless' you can buy Tropicana without the bits. Copella and Ballanun apple juice are equally as bitless and 100% natural and are not made from concentrate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I like sieving things, it doesnt add e-numbers.

dont like orange juice on its own, so i want tropical juice sans bits

Tree wrote:
    If i wanted to eat a fruit, i would buy a fruit. If i want fruity liquid, then i buy fruit juice. Do some companies feel obliged to add extra bits to juice? The last tropicana tropical i bought was so thick with bits you could stand on it. Juice==liquid !=semi-solid pulp

grrrrrrrrr anger and such

Have you ever juiced some actual fruit...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The bits are added as part of the packaging process afaik. It's to give the illusion of "natural goodness" to an otherwise banal sugary drink. I remember reading somewhere the C&C imported orange bits from Isreal to "squirt" into Club Orange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I <3 juicy bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

I dunno, I kinda like the bits.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

bits are nasty!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Never has a thread spoken to me so much. The bits should eb wiped out. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Now this is just annoying. This is like the 5th time that I have looked at a thread title and assumed that it was about something much more fun than it was actually about. For **** sake. Bits in your juice eh? I'd get a smear test, an STD check, or else wash more down there, as appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

You strange person!! ;) OJ is far far nicer with bits. The more, the better imo. Mmmmm...bitty Tropicana......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Yeah, bits make it taste orangey.
    Without them, you might as well be drinking Miwadi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

It's strange, but I have no problem with bits in fruit juice if I've done the juicing myself, but bits out of a carton or bottle freak me out. Maybe because I don't trust the manufacturer not to put 'fake bits' in to make the juice seem more fresh and I am paranoid that these bits are not part of the fruit whose juice I am drinking (possibly not even part of a fruit at all). Does that make any sense? No, thought not.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Blisterman wrote:
    Yeah, bits make it taste orangey.
    Without them, you might as well be drinking Miwadi.
    There are smallish bits in miwadi. it all settles in teh last few glasses :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I <3 the bits! Yay Tropicana with bits, yay smoothies with bits, yay Club Orange with bits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭coolcon

Awh youre all being negative about bits, theyre great! :D i hate a really smooth juice. I dont like the bits in miwadi though because they seem to be white and as someone said they all lie in the bottom of the glass (and bottle).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

i <3 the bits too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I can't drink it without the bits, doesn't taste right.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You people must be cured.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Next time you buy a bit-less bottle of Finches (made with "natural spring water" so it must be good for you!) have a look at the E-numbers, colouring and preservatives in the list of ingrediants. The same quantity of Coca-Cola would be less harmfull to your system.
    E numbers are the additives certified as safe!

It's the ones that don't have E numbers that you want to worry about.

But back on topic, I quite like the bits.

Here is the list:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_number

Look them up, they may be legal, doesn't mean they are good for you.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

another vote for the bits. It just seems right.

without the bits oj seems artificial and sweet.

tropicana is the most reliable imo, M&S is ok but every now
    and then you get a really sour tasting one. Or tesco freshly squeezed
    stuff when it is on special.

mmmmm..

have never heard of this talk of them adding the 'bits' at packaging stage. Is that just anti-bits propaganda or has anyone a link? That could put me off oj as bad as finding out hickory smoked rashers were injected with their smokiness a few years back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

without bits tbh.

with bits just seems wrong and also feels like you vurped -vomit burped - in your mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

Big bits or Small bits? Personally I love most bits:D
    Except no artificial bits. And I don't like the bits in peanut butter either:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭alantc

E numbers are the additives certified as safe!

Some are legal here and illegal elsewhere.

http://www.growingkids.co.uk/ENumbersToAvoid.html

I saw a chart on the wall of a school and it made them seem worse than that article. It was a list with the suspected harmful effects. I don't see the same one on the internet though.

Regarding bits in the juice, I used to hate them. I would squeeze my own oranges and had a sieve that I'd bought just for the juice. After a while of not being bothered to was the sieve I got used to the bits and now prefer juice with them. Try it, for your own convenience.

Advertisement