Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time for a new cat?.

Options
  • 24-02-2007 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Two weeks before Christmas 'Tigger' our cat passed away.

We're all missing him terribly, its like a little person is missing from the house.

But now I'm thinking is it time for a new cat, he was brilliant company for my wife. She's broken hearted in fact.

Anyway I'm thinking of getting her a new cat, I've tried explaining that it'll never replace Tigger (she's afraid we'll all forget about Tigger I guess) and wondering from you guys with more experience of this.

When is the right time?. And where would you suggest getting one from?.

I've looked at the DSPCA's website, but it really would have to be a kitten so my family could properly bound with it and all they seem to have are mature cats.

Any suggestions guys?.

Here's Tigger..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

I first adopted an 18 month old - he's now nearly 7, and we bonded perfectly. Then just over a year ago I adopted a 4 year old and we're best friends - in fact he's beside me now trying to get my hand away from the keyboard and pet him instead! So, I wouldn't be worried too much about adopted an older cat. You could try www.kittenadoption.ie and http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/index.php?

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

Sorry, I meant to say I adopted the four year old Harry a month after my cat Bandit died because my other cat Smokey appeared to be very lonely without a friend. But just because I got Harry doesn't mean Bandit was forgotten and it made the house feel "normal" again. It did feel very strange for the few weeks having Harry walking around and instead of Bandit but everything settled down.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

sorry you lost Tigger.

You can bound equally well with an adult cat as with a kitten. I'm not going to answer your is it time for a new cat question because only you can answer that. In addition to the links posted above you could try

www.irishanimals.com

www.catsaid.org

good luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

sorry to hear about Tigger.
    How does your wife feel about getting a new cat? If both of you want to then I think you should go ahead.
    Regarding the right time, it's different for everyone, as you've rightly pointed out, the new cat will not be a replacement.
    With regard to where to go, I got two of my cats from the DSPCA as kittens. You're probably better off ringing them to see if they have kittens as i don't think they show them individually on the website. When I got my two, I paid EUR120 which covered the cost of microchipping them, getting their first set of vacinations and spaying/neutering them when they were old enough which seemed like a very good deal judging by some vet's costs!
    Best of luck whatever you choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thanks for the very speedy replies guys.

I'll certainly follow up the links posted, and of course I'll post here if & when I get another cat.

Someone asked about my wife and her feelings in regards to another cat.

She misses the company Tigger brought her, and misses giving her love & attention to a pet. I know she'd love another, but she's still hurting badly over Tigger. She put everything into him.

Basically Tigger was run over by a neighbour and shattered his pelvis and fractured his left leg in two places. When he healed, it was a long proccess, he had a narrow pelvis which caused him to become constipated sometimes, to which he'd spend a nights in the Vets for treatment. It was on one of those routine visits that complications set in very fast and he passed away.

Although Tigger never really took to me, I've been told that sometimes a male cat doesn't take to another strong male presence in a house!, I miss him too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

adopt@kittenadoption.ie
    Found this email address for the Kitten Adoption Service on irishanimals.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

Just to note Kitten Adoption rehome to indoor only homes they have lots of info on the benefits of this on their website ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Tigger was gorgeous, of course he's missed.....

After I lost Joey a few years back, I kinda thought ah that's it I'll never take to another cat and didn't have one for quite awhile but I got a kitten and you know what? I was sorry I didn't get one sooner...The energy she brought back into the house was great (she's now eight and still adorable)....

NO, the new cat won't replace tigger because you'll have a totally different personality in your house. You may even find yourself smiling when you see what he/she gets up to!!

do discuss it with your wife first though.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

I'm very sorry to hear about Tigger. My cat Flopsy was only put to sleep 2 weeks ago and I still miss her. I still close doors and look for her when i come in sometimes out of habit. However i have decided I want to get a new cat/cats, none will replace Flopsy but I need new cat companions to be happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Puddles

Mairt wrote:
    Thanks for the very speedy replies guys.
    Although Tigger never really took to me, I've been told that sometimes a male cat doesn't take to another strong male presence in a house!, I miss him too.

I have both female and male cats. 2 toms and a neutered queen. The alpha tom cat "Bando" (that wanders off for a couple of days and comes back looking like death) does have a distinct suspicion of MOH. He doesn't hiss or spit at him or anything like that but just stares at him as if he has no business being here. MOH just laughs and says its an alpha male thing.

I have to say, my queen ironically named "Tigger" is the best company. Female cats are renowned for their loyalty and she's wonderful. I definitely would recommend getting another cat, but get a neutered female. They are so comforting. Bando's mother was knocked down and killed outside our front door when her litter was 5-6 weeks old and I had to ween them on to solids etc before putting them in shelter. I kept Bando coz he was the most like his nutty mother!
    I'm sorry you lost Tigger. It's devastating to lose a family pet. They ARE part of the family. Do get another cat.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have to say adult cats can be as friendly and sometimes friendlier. I had 2 adult (stray fosters) cats and a kitten here over xmas the adults were the sweetest most loving cats I have ever met, they bonded within two days to us and were friendlier than my parents cat who they have had since they were kittens. The kitten was very independant he liked attention but was in no was as bonded as the other two.

Cats live so long and they have a long sometimes never ending kittenhood, it's worth thinking about an adult cat. Esp. ginger ones they seem to laid back and friendly.

Puddles wrote:
    He doesn't hiss or spit at him or anything like that but just stares at him as if he has no business being here. MOH just laughs and says its an alpha male thing.

(

I actually chuckled at that, because thats the relationship Tigger and I had. Dirty looks across the room, if I opened a door for him he wouldn't come in until I stood aside (I don't think he liked me looking down on him!). If I fed him he wouldn't eat it until I turned my head, and if I tried to stay there he liked at me like I was a little sh*t.

But!. When he was run over and in agony I was the only one he'd let pick him up and nurse him to health. ie, he had a babies nappy on for a few weeks as he'd lost all power in his hind legs, I'd to change his bedding. EVERYTHING!. But when he was better, we went our separate ways again!.

I still miss the little fecker terribly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I would encourage you to get a new cat albeit when you feel that you can handle it.

I have lost a few cats over the years, one a childhood to teens pet and I can assure that the memory of your old cat won't fade. I can understand how upsetting it is at first but it's great to think of the new home some lucky kitten is going to get. :)

I still miss the little fecker terribly.[/QUOTE]

Of course you will. MOH always jokes that the cats are MY thing but I know that he'd miss them terribly if anything ever happened to any of them. Especially Tigger. :)

Puddles wrote:
    I still miss the little fecker terribly.

Of course you will. MOH always jokes that the cats are MY thing but I know that he'd miss them terribly if anything ever happened to any of them. Especially Tigger. :)[/QUOTE]

lol, again thats us!.

I used to pretend Tigger wasn't mine too!.

Btw, we're heading out shortly to view some cats. If we take one (or two) home today I'll throw up a photo here.

thanks guys.

lol, again thats us!.

I used to pretend Tigger wasn't mine too!.

Btw, we're heading out shortly to view some cats. If we take one (or two) home today I'll throw up a photo here.

thanks guys.[/QUOTE]

Oh thats great. Can't wait to see pics. Best of Luck!!!:D

Ok, well great news.

We've adopted 'Sylvester'!.

She's a black and white six month old (approx) short haired domestic. She'd been in the Vet's for the last month, vacinated, neutured (spelling?) and NCT'd (lol) for a year!.

I can't risk taking a photo just yet as she's very nervous and hiding up the chimney, lol.

Just as soon as she's settled I'll get some photos and post them here.

Thanks again guys, your all very special on this forum.

:D

Ok, here she is.

As she's very nervous I didn't want to take any flash photography with her. Or risk bringing her outside for better lighting, so excuse the poor quality of the photo.

Mairt wrote:
    Ok, here she is.

As she's very nervous I didn't want to take any flash photography with her. Or risk bringing her outside for better lighting, so excuse the poor quality of the photo.

She's gorgeous and she looks like she's in great nick. Best of luck to all of you and your latest addition. :D

I'm delighted ye went for it and what a cutie she is....
    Hope she has long happy life with ye!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Good on you - she looks a stunner, and I'm sure she'll find out she's hit the jackpot! She'll proabably has ye wrapped around her paws in no time :D
    At least something very sad has led to a new life for another ...

morgana wrote:
    Good on you - she looks a stunner, and I'm sure she'll find out she's hit the jackpot! She'll proabably has ye wrapped around her paws in no time :D
    At least something very sad has led to a new life for another ...

That's soo true

Advertisement