Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I need a digital tuner

• 24-02-2007 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

I'm in the market for a 32" LCD and have what hopefully are a few simple questions.

Is there any difference in having a standard digital NTL box and having an LCD Tv with built in digital tuner?

Is it simply that the cheaper LCDs' have an analogue tuner built in and as you go up in price they might have a digital tuner that will negate the need for an NTL or Sky box?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

You don't need one because sky and ntl have their own encryption standards, and need their boxes to decode it as far as i'm aware.

Digital tv is being trailed at three rock though but there is no gurantee the built in tuner will work with the final service, if one even appears anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 jakfrost

Thanks Aphex.

So the following could happen. You buy an LCD with digital tuner and watch it happily with NTL digital. A few months later you decide digital isn't worth the money and downgrade to NTL analogue. This then renders your tv useless as it does not have an analogue tuner.

The reason being I'm comparing these two Samsung models, LE32R73BD and LE32R71B. They appear to be the same except one is the digital version. However, on Komplett at the moment the digital one is €30 cheaper. So suppose one day my NTL box explodes, I would appear to need the dearer analogue model so I could continue watching tv via the NTL pipe. Correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

the one with the digital tuner is the one to go for. for ntl digital you need their decoder. the digital tuner will pull in the 4 irish channels at the moment.. but thats no guarantee that the government will choose this technology for good.

it has an analogue tuner as well.

cheers
    moe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 jakfrost

Nice one.thanks for the help

Advertisement