Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ex-friend owes me money, what to do?

• 24-02-2007 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ex-friend owes me money for concert tickets we bought before a fight.
    I don't want any further contact really but I'm wondering should I ask for my money back? They have the tickets and I'm pretty sure that they're not decent
    enough to automatically give me my money back without me saying anything.

I don't want to go to the concert but I think they'll probably go with another
    friend with the ticket I paid for. Is this fair that I ask for my money back
    or will I just be opening an old wound? Should I just cut my losses altogether
    as this ex-friend is not trust worthy and will do anything to get themselves out
    of a bad situation no matter who it hurts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'
    Ex-friend owes me money for concert tickets we bought before a fight.
    I don't want any further contact really but I'm wondering should I ask for my money back? They have the tickets and I'm pretty sure that they're not decent
    enough to automatically give me my money back without me saying anything.

I don't want to go to the concert but I think they'll probably go with another
    friend with the ticket I paid for. Is this fair that I ask for my money back
    or will I just be opening an old wound? Should I just cut my losses altogether
    as this ex-friend is not trust worthy and will do anything to get themselves out
    of a bad situation no matter who it hurts.

do ask them. it'll make a clean slate and truth is theyu have no right to keep it. ask them for the ticket or if they want to keep it for a friend, the money. hopefully they're mature enough to not give you any hassle but just treat it as a separate issue from whatever you guys were fighting over so it doesnt become a big debate'

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If it was me Id ask, once. I wouldnt make a big deal of it, and if I didnt get it Id chalk it up to experience. If youre not having further contact with this person, its probably just as well to suffer the loss if they dont cough up, and at least you can tell yourself you did ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd write it off as a bad debt. Asking for it will only result in a row and abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

a few years ago i kept lending a friend money all the time til i realised she wasnt a friend but was just using me for cash, i told her i never wanted to see her again and wanted all my money back, i kept chasing her until i got it all back.
    op you say 'ex' friend so i would say chase them for it, you arent friends anymore so what have you got to lose (friendship wise)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Tell them you will report it stolen if you don't get the money...

report it stolen (if you don't get the money)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Ask for the ticket back, not the money. You don't have to use it yourself.
    If you are refused, then as for the money.
    If you are refused again, feel free to make it public knowledge for the sake of anyone else your former friend might befriend in the future.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

jhegarty wrote:
    Tell them you will report it stolen if you don't get the money...

report it stolen (if you don't get the money)...
    That's certainly what I'd do.

I don't want to get the ticket back as I'm not really interested in going to the concert. Plus there's the hassle of trying to sell it to get my money back.

I'm looking for the money presuming they won't let the ticket go to waste and will use it. So far they haven't contacted me about it so at this stage I want my money back.

I just feel that if I ask for it back & they refuse it will start another row. Is the best thing to do to write it off as suggested or fight my corner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Me, if I didn't want it, I would write it off, if I could afford it. Don't go after it as a matter of principle.

It's just stuff, and not even stuff you want, it's not worth fighting over. If your ex-friend gets some enjoyment out of it, that's great, if they don't, at least you don't end up with all the hassle of trying to cash it.

'
    I don't want to get the ticket back as I'm not really interested in going to the concert. Plus there's the hassle of trying to sell it to get my money back.

I'm looking for the money presuming they won't let the ticket go to waste and will use it. So far they haven't contacted me about it so at this stage I want my money back.

I just feel that if I ask for it back & they refuse it will start another row. Is the best thing to do to write it off as suggested or fight my corner?
    You could think of it as money you've paid to make sure they never contact you again.'

• Advertisement
Advertisement