Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Home Security Monitoring

Options
  • 24-02-2007 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭

Not too sure if correct fourm, but was the closest I could find. Mods please move if needed.

I've just moved into an apartment, can't get BB over the phone line so I have to use the estates cable company. I have an alarm but because of the lack of an Eircom line I can't monitor it and I don't want to pay line rental for a phone I won't be using.

I contacted HKC and they said that the alarm won't TXT with a digi dialler using VOIP and they had no idea when it would.

Is there any way I can setup a system, with a PIR and extra hardware, to page me if someone breaks in. I've searched the web and can't find any usefull info.

I found this from Motorola USA http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/home_monitoring.asp
    but I can't find it on the Irish site. Would this work here?

Has anyone set-up a monitoring system using their BB? I know that it isn't 100% reliable due to power failures etc, but I want to avoid spending EUR400+ on a GSM dialler if I can.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

A GSM dialler would probably be your best option , maybe a bit of ferretting around you mind find one on the web somewhere (a lot) cheaper ?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

You might be able to get a voice dialler working on the VoIP line.

Either standalone or built into a panel.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=98220&doy=2m3

(not sure if the above is standalone or not.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Hi,

I have such a set up, with a self monitored alarm system. I use my voip line (blueface), which is delivered over wireless broadband and it works fine for over a year now.

The alarm system I have is called a comfort alar system, it is a reasonably high end one, but because it uses tones (dtmf) for sending and receiving messages over the phone line, it works fine.

You might want to consider a wireless alarm system with dialer (or as previous poster said, you could try a gsm adapter either, but a bit pricy I think).

Have a look at:-

http://www.letsautomate.com/index.cfm?&Nav=Security&

there are three different systems on the above link. The comfort will definately work, I am fairly sure the sc8000 will work also (ask the retailer), and I see no reason why the 3rd system wont work.

Regards,
    Wexfordman

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks for the replies. The problem is that I already have an alarm, which I got for free:D , and don't want to buy a new one if I can avoid it. I have the digi dialer for the alarm, but again I don't want to buy an ATA and then find out that the alarm won't connect to it.

Does anyone know if it's possible to have 2 alarm cpu's at the same time? If I get the comfort alarm controller that Wexfordman has, and then just use that as a slave to my main alarm to contact me of alarm events. Or would I just be better off using the Comfort and ditching the HKC unit?

I found this GSM system on Ebay, would it be any good?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260084225115&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

Del2005 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. The problem is that I already have an alarm, which I got for free:D , and don't want to buy a new one if I can avoid it. I have the digi dialer for the alarm, but again I don't want to buy an ATA and then find out that the alarm won't connect to it.

Was the HKC panel sending you a SMS or was it communicating with a Central Station, who called you when the alarm went off?
    Del2005 wrote:
    Does anyone know if it's possible to have 2 alarm cpu's at the same time? If I get the comfort alarm controller that Wexfordman has, and then just use that as a slave to my main alarm to contact me of alarm events. Or would I just be better off using the Comfort and ditching the HKC unit?]

You're better off having only one. You could connect the HKC to the Comfort, but you would have to remember to make sure both were set when going out.
    Del2005 wrote:

Reading the spec it looks like it should work, as to the quality and reliability, who knows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Was the HKC panel sending you a SMS or was it communicating with a Central Station, who called you when the alarm went off?

I never had the land line long enough to wire the dialer into it. I'm just looking for a way to get an alert without a land line. I don't want to buy an ATA for VOIP and then find out the alarm doesn't work with it. I rang HKC and they said that their digi dialer won't work on VOIP and that a system that would was a long way off.

Haven't had an alarm yet(touches wood). But I don't want just an other dumb alarm going off all day, I'd rather be able to investigate/reset if it goes off.

By the looks of things I'm going to have to get a new alarm:(

Something like this might suit, don't know how much they are or where to get one though.

http://www.dualtech.se/Files/Product%20sheet%20RC60SMS.pdf

It should interface to your existing Alarm System.

Advertisement