Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the lowest spec machine people have Home Premium Running on

• 24-02-2007 4:09pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Title says it all.

Havent installed mine yet. I reckon I need some more ram first but what have other peoples experience been?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I have seen it run on P4 3ghz with 512mb Ram seemed ok, depends on what you want to do on it i.e. games etc.

I have Ultimate running on a P4 3.2ghz, 1.5gb Ram and its perfect, although I haven't installed a graphics card yet as I'm doing any gaming, using it for Media Center mainly. My Score is 4.2 for CPU, 4.3 for Ram and 2 for graphics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

i installed vista ultimate on a 1.2ghz duron with 504mb of ram, it was not fast, but it was more then useable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Running Ultimate RC2 on P4 3.2 GHz, 512 MB RAM. A little sluggish but operational. Managed to edit the registry to enable Aero. This hasn't really eaten into RAM. In fact, moving windows around is much smoother. I suppose that's down to the graphics card getting some use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Slowest is my notebook on a Sempron mobile 3200, not so fast HD & with 512MB of RAM some of which is stolen by the GPU runs okay definitely usable. Vista's own internal system benchmark (WinSAT) disabled Aero Glass as it deemed it not up to the task but when I throw in 1GB of RAM it should enable it.

HTPC Athlon 64 3200+ 2GB RAM , GeForce 7300LE with Aero Glass enabled runs great very snappy & fast to boot as well no complaints at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

8T8 wrote:
    ... Vista's own internal system benchmark (WinSAT) disabled Aero Glass as it deemed it not up to the task but when I throw in 1GB of RAM it should enable it ...
    Have people had any luck in getting Aero by just using the ReadyBoost solution [using a memory stick for RAM]?

Of course, adding more RAM is the best solution, but I wonder if ReadyBoost would also work, especially for machines with 512 MB RAM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Running it on an Athlon xp 2500+ with 1GB of ram myself and it's sweet as a nut
    wouldn't want to try it with any less ram than that though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

2.4GHz P4 512Mb ram 54k rpm drive radeon 9250

runs vista quite fast imo

no aero though which isnt a loss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

ethernet wrote:
    Have people had any luck in getting Aero by just using the ReadyBoost solution [using a memory stick for RAM]?

Of course, adding more RAM is the best solution, but I wonder if ReadyBoost would also work, especially for machines with 512 MB RAM.

I don't think Readyboost would be enough though it definitely helps on 512MB systems. WinSAT disabled it for good reason I imagine as that's what WinSAT does measures the systems performance and then sees what will work and what wont work (well it may work just painfully slow which is why they turn certain eye candy off).

You can force it (Aero Glass) I believe at least in some of the early betas or RC versions but I think that has been removed from the final version but I'm not entirely sure.

The easiest way to enable Aero Glass is run the Windows Experience benchmarks which is just WinSAT once you have installed the display driver for your DX9 GPU and it has access to 64MB of RAM or more. You can get by in a pinch with 32MB but only at low resolutions like 1024x768.

Ideally 1GB is preferable with Aero Glass enabled but it should work with 512MB but it is cutting it fairly close.

Advertisement