Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studio Soundproofing

Options
  • 24-02-2007 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I dont know if this is the right forum but Im trying to soundproof a small broadcasting studio but I dont know exactly how to go about it or what the products are. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could look cheaply to get this done? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I'm going to move this Recording/Mixing etc as I think they might be able to help you a little bit better.

Mods there, feel free to send it back to Radio if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Sound proofing pretty much falls into two categories for this purpose, stopping sound getting in/out and stopping it reverberate within a room to improve the rooms internal acoustic properties. Which are you looking to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Carrigsound

Soundproofing, big can of worms.
    Follow the link below and go to construction.
    www.saecolege.de/reference_material

Theres all the plans you need to do the classic room within a room
    soundproofing method. Personally I would only build this on the ground
    floor where you have a good mass of concrete underneath. If you build
    this on say the 1st or 2nd floor, the weight may collapse the floor.

Here is a cheaper and easier way.
    www.soundprooffoam.com/vinyl_barrier.htm

Both methods will require some degree of Acoustic treatment but, thats another
    can of worms.

Cheers

Liam

If the links don't work, typeing them directly into your browser
    should get you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

And a warning before anyone tells you this- Egg cartons DO NOT work as soundproofing in any way.
    I've seen two people in my lifetime waste too many weekends because of their belief in this myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The_g-man

Carrigsound, would the company in your second link deliver to Ireland or is there a local equivalent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Carrigsound

I don't know of anywhere in Ireland or Europe, you'll need to e-mail them.

Don't go rushing into buying before you know if this suits or not. Bear in mind
    this stuff attenuates sound leakage, it doesn't eliminate it!!

Your best bet is to ask the company themselves for advice. Send them as much info about your project as possible, length, width and height of your
    space, wall covering(plaster or whatever) what noises you are dealing with,
    environment blah blah blah. If possible record your space with a high quality
    mic (or best you have got ) and send them the sound file.

Take the time to fully investigate before parting with money. People have made expensive mistakes.

Cheers

Liam

Advertisement