Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Standard Prices for 90's BMW 316/318's

Options
  • 24-02-2007 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Around what price tag do BMW 316's/318's from between 1996-2000 models sell...?

I've been planning to buy one for quite some time, some info on what the general rate they sell at (even between a few thousand) would help me decide how much to plan to save for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

www.carzone.ie is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm eyeing up buying a 318 myself soon, you would expect to pay around 12k for a 99-00 model. Base model mind you. It's incredibly difficult to find a well spec'ed 3 series in that price range, and any ones that are good are either completely run into the ground (poor engines) or snapped up within hours. I would know, I've been searching daily for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I presume it is the 1991 - 1999 E36 3 Series the OP is talking about? If so the best of the 4 cyclinder engines to go for is the 318iS coupe. It has 140bhp which at the time was the best 4 cylinder engine BMW made. They cost a few quid more than the same year 316i/318i saloons but from what I have heard the 318iS is well worth it. Prices vary but it might be well worth it to go over to the UK and buy one there. UK cars are generally cheaper even taking VRT into account, better looked after and are better equipped than Irish models. 1998 model 318iS models should be going for around the €7k mark from the UK.

If it is the 1999 - 2005 E46 3 Series saloon the OP is talking about then the 316i and 318i both had 1.9 litre engines up until 2002 but the 318i had more bhp than the slower 316i. In other words go for the 318i. Should be able to get a 2000 for around €11k to €12k. Again better choice over in the UK.

Given the choice I would rather have a E36 318iS coupe than the newer E46 318i saloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I have a 98 318is - lovely car to drive. Plenty of poke when you need it!
    I drove a 318i saloon (same year) and there is a BIG difference between the sohc and dohc.
    If you want a 4 cyl, go for 318is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Although you say you are looking for a 316i or a 318i, just to let you anyway, dont be easily lured towards cheap 6 cylinder E36's (320i, 323i, 328i but excluding M3) made between 1995 & late 1997. They were known for premature bore wear from around 60k miles onwards on alot of cars, leading to cylinders down on power, oil burning and a knackered engine block basically.

E36 318is would be my choice from the pool of Beemers you are thinking off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

You'll find it hard to get insurnce, having just passed your test. I passed 18 months ago and quotes on anything above 1.5 are hard to come by at anything that's affordable....so unless it's a birthday present check the insurance first before doling out cash on a car that will be prohibitively expensive to run

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

ninty9er wrote:
    You'll find it hard to get insurnce, having just passed your test. I passed 18 months ago and quotes on anything above 1.5 are hard to come by at anything that's affordable....so unless it's a birthday present check the insurance first before doling out cash on a car that will be prohibitively expensive to run

Those 'nice' people at Quinn insured me on a 2litre turbo a few weeks after I passed my test. You're right tho, most decent companies won't qoute.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 tazamia

What should one look out for generally when buying a 318 is coupe around the 1996-1999 age

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

bazz26 wrote:
    Given the choice I would rather have a E36 318iS coupe than the newer E46 318i saloon.
    I don't know how important this is to you, but have a look at www.euroncap.com. The E46 results are ok-ish, but the E36 test is quite frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Anan1 wrote:
    I don't know how important this is to you, but have a look at www.euroncap.com. The E46 results are ok-ish, but the E36 test is quite frightening.

Not really important to me at all as I'm not in the market for either car. My comments were directed towards engine performance rather than safety.

Obviously the E36 is not going to fair much being a 16 year old design.

Edit: Just noticed the date on this thread, zombie thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement