Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

finally passed eircom line test what happens now

Options
  • 24-02-2007 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

after years of waiting eircom have finally agreed my line is up to broadband i have opted for the 1 mb always on package and recieved my netopia router in the post, my questions are
    1 does this mean for definate that broadband will work or do they send out the routers as a matter of course and let you find out for yourself if they work or not

2 does the wizard sort things out easily enough for most people or is it one of those wizards that create more problems than they solve

3 i am living out in the sticks about 4.5 miles from the broadband enabled exchange most of my neighbours are about 110 years of age and so will not be downloading mp3s and videos should this guarantee me good speeds

4 i was given 9am next wedensday as connection date is this set in stone or should i try the router now

thanks in advance questions 4 to 599 will follow once the problems begin lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You can plug it in and test it. Usually they only send a router out when the line is enabled. The date tends to be the latest possible date according to their service level - normally 10 days or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

You may as well set everything up now and check what stats your line has according to the router - should give you a good idea whether your line can support BB. Look for attenuation values in the modem settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 terryken999

thanks to everyone who replied, i take it there is a good chance that my line is already broadband enabled so, given that i have the router a few days at this stage , could someone clarify if the fact that they sent the router out gives me a good chance of success or do they send them out on a suck it and see basis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Unplug everything but the phone. My Skybox was preventing the DSL from syncing with the router. GOOD LUCK!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

You're line is BB enabled at this stage I'd say. The simple way to test is:
    1. Take it out of the box.:p
    2. Plug it into the power socket.
    3. Plug it into the phone socket.
    No need to connect it to the computer at this stage
    The DSL light on the front of the router will be flashing at first. If BB is enabled on your line it will stop flashing and remain on solid green after about 10 - 15 seconds. If it does then you can connect it to your PC. If it doesn't, then do as uncle_sam_ie said and disconnect everything from all the phone sockets and try again.
    Don't use the CD that came with it. There's no need.
    First, go to Control panel-->Internet Options-->Connections (Tab).
    Select "Never dial a connection" and click "Apply then "OK". This will switch off your old dial-up connection.
    Then, open Internet Explorer and in the address bar type http://192.168.1.254 and hit the return key.
    You should see the Netopia page with the username & password pre-entered. Click connect and you're in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Let us know how it goes. If it doesn't work at first, there's a good few things you can try. Eircom will send out an engineer which will cost nothing if he fails in getting the broadband to work, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 terryken999

just a quick note to let you all know that the advice i recieved on the forum was accurate and helpful , broadband worked first time straight out of the box with excellent connection speeds, is this a first lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

4.5 miles from the exchange. Is this some sort of record?
    Im 3 and 1/2 and have no chance until the standards are relaxed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Eircom are finally laying cables in my street and I have been told to expect installation in 4 to 6 weeks . The engineer also told me the max range is 4 miles and Im 3.5 from the exchange so I should be ok .

Advertisement