Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT login password specific /eircom generic

Options
  • 24-02-2007 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭

Why BT have a specific user / pass for broadband and eircom have a generic one for everyone ?

and ....... is there a security risk telling someone whos setting up a router for someone else you user name and password for broadband?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Eircom know which router is which from the phone line. Bitstream re-sellers may need your logon to identify you.

Not a huge risk as it only give internet access, and only on a line enabled with that operator already, not access to your PC or to any Internet resource you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭worded

Just configuring a connection for a BT cleint / Im eircom so this thread is for their benefit.

Just tested BT user / pass on an eircom connection = fail.
    Take out only the @ and it works

So the bit after the @ id's the provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

As Watty says, all the resellers need a unique identifier for each customer but, with BT anyway, they don't seem to be tied to the phone line. For example, I can enter any genuine BT user/pass (that I know) into my router and successfully connect. I could also check their cap usage etc on http://broadband.iol.ie/cgi-bin/sec/dsl but the info there would be fairly useless to anyone.
    What I don't know is, if I remain connected using someone elses user/pass on my router, am I using their download allowance?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

what do *you* think?

A smart ISP though will detect an account being used more than once simulatously and will investigate.

Compared with the password for your PC or NAT/Router/firewall/Wifi it's not a significant security issue.

If a PC is connected direct to Internet with no separate Firewall, then ALL accounts on the PC (any OS) need strong passwords.
    Minimum password:
    * At least 8 characters
    * Random mix of lettters & numbers and upper/lower case
    * No birthdays, pets, housename, dictionary words in it
    * No words with numbers replacing some letters

Have 2 small notebooks with all passwords. One to carry around and one to keep in a safe place. Use a different password to above rules for each email account and website.

Never use same password for different things, i.e. each thing using a password must ALWAYS use a different one. I know at least two ways to pinch passwords (especially email passwords) used for Internet thingys.

No. I'm not going to elaborate.

Advertisement