Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange one...

Options
  • 25-02-2007 1:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a strange problem with my 7600GS. I have a 3.2Ghz Celeron D, 1.5gb Ram, 7600gs.

I tried playing BF2, and at 800x600 with options on medium, I was only getting 25-40fps. Pretty disappointing, and not reflecting my specifications. So I tried lowering the settings to all low - same fps. At this stage I was pretty annoyed, as there was no way I should be getting such crap results.

Then I increase settings to 800x600 on high - and the fps goes up. I increase it to 1024x768, with everything on full - the fps hits its highest, 30-70. I tried a few others games and bizarrely I'm seeing similar results in some games, but normal results in others (i.e some games, increased settings leads to drop in fps, whilst lower settings yields better)

So....this seems a tad strange to me, increased fps as my settings are increased. Any explanations? Not so much a problem right now, but it could be when I'm trying to use the usually traditional method of lowering settings to gain a few more frames...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Maybe a driver problem??? It sounds liek the drivers may be configured better for higher end stuff??

What method do you use for getting your FPS??? I want to see what Im getiing in BF2142.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No I've tried different sets of drivers, same thing...

And I use fraps....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Don't know it's a bit odd :confused:

You could use 3DMark Pro or Shadermark to benchmark at the lower res then increase to the higher res and compare the detailed results.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Driver cleaner perhaps? Maybe old drivers still installed are messing you up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

HavoK wrote:
    Hi,

I have a strange problem with my 7600GS. I have a 3.2Ghz Celeron D, 1.5gb Ram, 7600gs.

AGP or PCI-E?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Its pci-e. I've tried driver cleaner, I used it before I even installed the card, and again when I was trying new forceware drivers.

I'll try shadermark and see what it throws up...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Maybe the CPU is throttleing when you are playing on low settings and is making a little bit of a bottleneck?? and then it goes full speed when you make things more demanding??

Advertisement