Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mahon Point cinema

Options
  • 25-02-2007 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Just back from the cinema, went to see Letters from Iwo Jima. Fantastic feckin movie but for some reason the Gate showed Flags of our Fathers but weren't showing this. Anyway, the reason I'm posting is this:

Mahon point cinema, 2 tickets: €18 with no student discount, popcorn and a coke €8.50. Bollocks to 'em. Never going again.

Oh, and don't get popcorn if you're going to this movie. We couldn't eat ours..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Why no student discount? And why buy food at the concession if the prices are too high? There's a Tesco around the corner like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

dahamsta wrote:
    Why no student discount?

They only do the discount at 'off peak times'.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The Mahon has always charged those prices. Since I've moved to DUblin, it's the norm.

However, there is a cinema in Dublin on Parnell Street that has showings at 10-11 am in the morning, for E5 a ticket. That's the only way I go the cinema now. ~E20 for a trip to the cinema is too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

dahamsta wrote:
    And why buy food at the concession if the prices are too high? There's a Tesco around the corner like.

Well tbh, I hadn't looked at the prices before I ordered. I live out beyond b'town and the only reason we were at Mahon Point is because it would seem that the Gate isn't showing one of the best movies of the year because it's subtitled. We were running late and the ladyfriend requested some refreshments.

• Advertisement

Just as long as it wasn't a ladyboy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Expensive enough all right, particularly with the concessions but the kino also charges 8 per ticket which I find extremely cheeky for such a poor quality cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

as said before, tesco was just around the corner and they actually have it cleverly catered for cinema goers because as you enter the store there is a shelf full with the sort of goodies one would typically bring along to a cinema! but yes, it is shocking to see the markup on something like popcorn! but if there are idiots out there who pay the money and complain later well, some things will never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Even though it's more expensive than the others, I still prefer Mahon Point - it's just a better cinema IMHO. Re ticket prices - the cinema get very little from them, with the majority (sliding scale starting from like 90%) going to the distributor. WRT the food prices - my brother used to work in the cinema and said that they have MAJOR overheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

the cinema get very little from them, with the majority (sliding scale starting from like 90%) going to the distributor.

In that case, The Gate must be almost bankrupt given the difference in their prices compared with Mahon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

What's really annoying me is that pre-Christmas you could book tickets online for Mahon Point - at about €5.00 per ticket, they were encouraging you to book on line and save. Now when you try to book on line - I think it's actually more expensive then turning up and paying €9.00 per person - which is outrageous. I love the place, it is my favourite cinema, always clean, staff friendly, plenty of space - but the prices are crazy! If they have any more specials i.e. like the previous online savings - could somebody post it up, so we're all aware. Many thanks! (Yes, I miss the Capital - but not the grubby smelly place that closed last year - I miss the Capital of the 80's when it was one of the main Film Festival venues). Ah well, onwards and upwards and all that - but more discounts please............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

I stopped going to the cinema years ago (I discovered the world of 'home theater'). Never realised the had hiked the prices up so much here. It's outrageous for Cork all the same (the real capital at real capital prices?)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Judes wrote:
    What's really annoying me is that pre-Christmas you could book tickets online for Mahon Point - at about €5.00 per ticket

Ya that was a great offer on movietickets.com. €5.50 a ticket and no queing when you get in, don't know why they didn't keep this offer or even a similar offer instead of now charging 50c a ticket more.

Since this offer closed I rarely go there, I know someone working there so I get the odd free ticket which is why I still go there.

Another thing why sometimes annoys me is the come people buy tickets for one show because the one they want to watch is sold out or they are too young to watch it and then go in to that show even though their tickets are for something else. I know there is very little the staff can do about it as it might require up 13 more to put one at each door, or maybe even put a member of staff at each 15's or over movie.

I was at Hot Fuzz last week and since I knew one of the staff they told me the amount of tickets that were sold for it, not much as it was during the day. When I went inside there was 3 times that amount majority 13 year olds etc, and they would not shut up during the movie!! grrr(Goal 2 was sold out and apparantly it was half empty as all the kids went in to see hot fuzzz instead.) I suppose I did the same thing when I was there age.
    [/RANT]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

brav wrote:
    I was at Hot Fuzz last week and since I knew one of the staff they told me the amount of tickets that were sold for it, not much as it was during the day. When I went inside there was 3 times that amount majority 13 year olds etc, and they would not shut up during the movie!! grrr(Goal 2 was sold out and apparantly it was half empty as all the kids went in to see hot fuzzz instead.) I suppose I did the same thing when I was there age.
    [/RANT]
    That's why I don't go to the cinema at weekends, chocker-block with teens who have the attention span of children.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Its a good cinema alright, the thing that gets me though is that you're constantly bombarded with advertising the moment you step in.

The vodafone turn off your mobile thing is so annoying, its bad enough paying those prices without being brainwashed also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

The prices are a bit of a joke, but then again is it a good cinema. I prefer to go there than my nearest cinema. Don't go very often though so it probably isn't so bad compared to people who would go every week/every second week. Rent dvds more than I'd go to the cinema tbh.

I remember going to see a film there one day during the summer holidays about 2 years ago, it was on about 12.30pm. Bought the tickets before 12 and it only cost about €2.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I'm a fairly regular cinema goer myself, generally go to mahon point, it's clearly the best & most comfortable in Cork.. However the prices are getting quite cheeky, seem to always be going up... What i think would be a class idea is a monthly cinema ticket, i was up in Dublin before Christmas and was at some cinema (couldn't tell ya what it's called) and they had this scheme, one ticket a month and you can go to any amount of films you want.. It was like €20 or so, not too expensive....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The thing that puts me off Mahon is that, for a cinema that's outside of the city centre the tickets and food prices are both higher than the city centre equivalents. It smacks of greed on their part tbh - the share of a film's takings increases for every week that the film is on show in the cinema, and Mahon has considerably longer runs for most films that they show than the Gate or the Kino do. So to have higher ticket prices on top of higher food prices just puts me off.

It is a nice cinema though, I'd happily go there regularly if they'd set up some sort of regular arthouse/alternative film programme.

The prices are high, and the concession prices are downright robbery - although as I've pointed out, it's just as easy to go to Tesco - but my problem is that for those prices, I want movies that start on time, and no ads.

adam

Fysh wrote:
    It is a nice cinema though, I'd happily go there regularly if they'd set up some sort of regular arthouse/alternative film programme.

Given that they have 13 screens or something, I doubt it would be hard for them to dedicate at least one of them to alternative cinema. They have mainstream sh*te playing for weeks on end in some cases ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

Rip off merchants! Leave a few months pass and you can see htem all on sky anyway. Support the poor little Kino, that's what I say.

Sky != Cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

alternative cinema........

The French Film Festival is currently running in the city.
    Ticket prices are 6euro/5euro. The Sat and Sun 12..00 screenings at the Gate are priced at 4 euro, which I think is quite reasonable.

The only show I was at was the Sat evening screening at the Triskel which I have to say was the most extraordinary cinematic experience I have ever experienced! Silent classic films by Man Ray and Jean Cocteau with a newly-composed soundtrack performed live by a seven-piece band from Dublin called 3epkano........... lead guitar, base, keyboards, drums, cello and violin. Stunning and unique -- grunge rock married to 1930's film.
    The Cocteau film "Blood Of A Poet" caused a scandal when it was originally released in 1930

It's a bit much that the Gate, given it's size in comparison to Mahon, is the one putting on foreign film festivals (this always amuses me since the mainstream American films are also foreign from where I'm sitting). Surely it wouldn't be too hard for Mahon to host a film festival every once in a while. Also, I think it may already have been shown this week but I'd advise anyone who's a film lover to check out Cocteau's La Belle Et La Bête. It an absolute masterpiece!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

It an absolute masterpiece!

Indeed 'tis! In fact, some reviewers consider it amongst the best films ever made.

Yeah, it screened last Sunday 4.00 at the Gate. 5.50 euro admission. Stephane Chomant of the "Jean Cocteau Committee" and Tony Tracy ( Film Lecturer and of RTE's Art Show ) presented the film and chaired a discussion on it prior to the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

Kold wrote:
    Just back from the cinema, went to see Letters from Iwo Jima. Fantastic feckin movie but for some reason the Gate showed Flags of our Fathers but weren't showing this. Anyway, the reason I'm posting is this:

Mahon point cinema, 2 tickets: €18 with no student discount, popcorn and a coke €8.50. Bollocks to 'em. Never going again.

Oh, and don't get popcorn if you're going to this movie. We couldn't eat ours..

I get my tickets from work & it costs E5 each. So I went to Mahon & costs me E10 for me & my wife. Bought popcorn, cola, & she got those nachos. it cost E12. Crazy that the food cost more than the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

I used live in the states for along time back in cork 5 years i used pay 17 dollers per ticket which is about 14 Euro so i dont feel so bad paying 18 euro in all my years of going to the cinema its never ever been cheap and lets not forget we are the most expensive country in the EU we are victams of our own sucsess

Advertisement