Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

great (slightly dated) guide to the city

Options
  • 25-02-2007 2:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭

Searching through h2g2, a pre wikipedia online encyclopedia run by the bbc, i found this gem about galway,
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A320275

below i've included part of the section about crusties
    Crusties: Not a Breakfast Cereal

Even outside of festival season there is plenty to do, as Galway's centre is riddled with shops, bars and restaurants. Reflecting the high concentration of artistic types who live there, there are four theatres around the town, although the Druid theatre has been playing successfully on Broadway for some time now instead of at home. Some 'crusties' (as New Age Travellers are called when they move to the west of Ireland), congregate in the Galway region each summer from all over the UK to get away from the establishment, man, and to draw Ireland's generous unemployment benefit.

Comments

The Eyre Square Centre can be found on the western side of the park. Unusually, it has enough local and individual shops not to have abandoned all attempts at personality, and is even more noteworthy for containing a substantial and well-preserved section of the ancient city wall

If only that were the case now ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Some 'crusties' (as New Age Travellers are called when they move to the west of Ireland)

Funniest definition I ever heard of a crustie was "an evil hippy"

Advertisement