Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appetite for Destruction 20 yrs on

• 25-02-2007 4:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Appetite for destruction, the 1987 debut album from Guns n Roses is twenty years old this year. just wondering what peoples opinions of the album were then(if you were old enough) and what are your opinions now.

Just in case somebody doesn't know the track listing for the album.

Welcome To The Jungle
    It's So Easy
    Nightrain
    Out Ta Get Me
    Mr. Brownstone
    Paradise City
    My Michelle
    Think About You
    Sweet Child O' Mine
    You're Crazy
    Anything Goes
    Rocket Queen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Now I feel old.

Great album then, great album now. Still sounds fresh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭highlight100

One of the best albums ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Quietguy018

Still a great album, love Sweet Child O' Mine and Nightrain great songs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Futureman

It's still my fav album EVER!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Rocket Queen & Its so Easy...great songs. Rest of album...great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Could listen to it constantly and not get bored.

Nightrain is my fave song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

Fantastic Album. Apart from the over popularity of Sweet Child. Although the solo in it is still one of the best ever.
    NIghtrain and Rocket Queen are my two faves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

As lame as it ever was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

When I first heard it in 87 I was half and half on it, some great tracks - Nightrain being one of them along with Mr Brownstone and some overlong rubbish ones, but I was never a fan of Axel Rose voice and now I will move along quickly if I scan through the channels and hit upon any Buns and Toasties tune.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I was thinking about this again when brushing (what's left of!) my teeth.

I remember in 1987 when AFD came out, the big thing that year was the 20th Anniversary of Sgt. Peppers ('it was twenty years ago today', etc etc).

The pace of change between 1967 and 1987 was in light years, not years.

AFD wouldn't sound out of place if it was released now. Not a lot happened musically between 1987 and 2007, but it was seismic change between 1967 and 1987.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Not a lot happened musically between 1987 and 2007

Maybe not in the mainstream....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The pace of change between 1967 and 1987 was in light years, not years.

AFD wouldn't sound out of place if it was released now. Not a lot happened musically between 1987 and 2007, but it was seismic change between 1967 and 1987.
    Listen to Decapitated (or someone like that - I saw them Friday night and they're still in my head :D) and rethink that last statement! JC is spot on, non-mainstream music has taken the difference between Peppers and Appetite and pissed all over it. From a height.

I'd make a comparison between The Wright brother's "plane" giving us a WWI fighter and in-turn giving us a modern-day fighter jet.

The problem is the men in suits are a lot more involved these days, so the mainstream hasn't changed very much in 20 years cause people haven't really changed very much.

[edit] Never made mention of the original topic, Appetite is a good rock album now as it was then. Not spectacular, more a case of right place at the right time for them and fair play to them on their success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Undergod wrote:
    As lame as it ever was.

You couldnt be more wrong.

Appetite for Destruction started a musicial movement that inspires virtually every major Rock band today. Everyone from Oasis (Brit Pop) to Kaiser Chiefs (Indie) to Towers of London (Punk) have claimed some kind of inspiration from Guns N' Roses, their band members, and in particular this album

I think it should be re-released as a 20th anniversary bonus edition with DTS sound and some decent bonus tracks like 'Crash Diet' and 'Just Another Sunday' in their original studio versions.

This album is possibly the greatest album ever made next to Ride the Lightning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

It really is an amazing album. Pure quality. Every record shop I've been in has it on sale, I got it for 6.99 about 5 years ago! I always tell people to buy it. And I know we can't discuss concerts, but the crowd went wild at RDS for the tracks from that album. That's their debut yes? And prob the best. Which is pretty rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

You couldnt be more wrong.

Betcha I could!

No, while I don't deny it's an important piece of history, I just don't like the album itself. There's something about it I just cannot like. This has softened from actual strong dislike to mere displeasure, but I just don't see why it's consdiered to be this masterpiece.

Like I say, I appreciate its importance and signfigance, but I still think it's a poor album.

Advertisement