Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just when u though Sony couldnt do any worse...

Options
  • 25-02-2007 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

Euro PS3 to play fewer old games

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6390657.stm
    The European version of Sony's PlayStation 3 (PS3) console will not play as many old games as American and Japanese models, Sony has announced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

What are they doing at all
    nintendo spies must have infiltrated their board room

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

it's using software emulation rather then hardware emulation, hence less bc. it'll be a lot better then the 360's, but having a 360 myself, i only care about halo and maybe one or two other select titles on it.

i know ps2 has a huge catalogue that people will want to dip into, but if demand is there i'm sure sony will follow microsoft's "here's an update" route to satisfying people

in other words, it's not actually that big a deal imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

They haven't provided a list of old games that will be compatible with this new model. They'll probably wait until the thing goes on sale before they publish one. Making hardware changes at this stage of the the product's life is a bad sign. They must be really feeling the cost of ps3. The new new model will also have a cheaper chassis than the US\ japan versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Of course it's a big deal. The PS2 has a huge library of games, and people have lots of different, obscure favourites, especially compared to the XBox. Who's to say when, if ever, Sony deign to add emulation for the PS2 games I'd like to play in the future? Software emulation is tricky and unreliable. The only advantage to anyone here is a reduced cost to Sony, which we won't see. And remember, this is on a machine we're already being charged more for, and which we're getting later. (Oh, but then I forgot, we enjoy that sort of thing, don't we? :rolleyes: )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The new new model will also have a cheaper chassis than the US\ japan versions.

Is that the smell of malfunctioning dodgy blue ray drives I sense and the tingle of the anger at a disc read error message?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The Japanese PS3: The cheapest. Plays all your region 2 dvds. Plays all those great games on the PSOne & PS2 that never got western releases, with excellent PS2 support. Plays Japanese & American Blu-Ray dvds. Plays every PS3 game.

Why would you buy a European one ahead of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

^ because if it goes tits up sony most likely won't entertain the warranty?

I'm sorry but no backward compatability is a big issue, when it was promised as a selling point way back when; AFAIR it was promised to be hardware not s/w emulation too.
    I believe we were also told we'd have upscaled playback of both PS2 and (some) PS1 games...
    Marketing blurb the lot of it.

Doesn't matter to me at this stage...I'll hold onto my trusty PS2 and just play any next gen titles that take my fancy on the 360

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

I've sold my ps2 in expectation of the PS3. I still have all my ps2 games. The way Sony treat Europe is a joke.

Thank God for my 360 is all I can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Who cares to be honest. Keep your old PS2 if it is such a big deal. If you PS2 ever dies, you will have absolutely no problem sourcing one for next to nothing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've already got 8 consoles in front of the tv, 4 of which are on the floor, along with dvd players and a hifi. I'd rather I didn't have something else on the floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I've already got 8 consoles in front of the tv, 4 of which are on the floor, along with dvd players and a hifi. I'd rather I didn't have something else on the floor.
    I'm the same. I didn't used to think backwards computability was such a big deal, but with so many consoles out it's actually an important feature now. Especially as the last gen of consoles are still pretty active.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

At least they are bundling the latest James Bond movie with it. Get to see what this blue ray is all about (as long as you have a hd tv).

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mr.StRiPe

it's using software emulation rather then hardware emulation, hence less bc. it'll be a lot better then the 360's, but having a 360 myself, i only care about halo and maybe one or two other select titles on it.

How do you come do this conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Mr.StRiPe wrote:

I was just about to ask the same question. Without any other information bar Sony admitting that PS2 compatability will be limited (and if Sony admit to limited then it's gotta be really limited)...

how can you have any idea how good the emulation will be? Even with hardware emulation, PS3's were having problems with PS2 games in Japan and the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

i know ps2 has a huge catalogue that people will want to dip into, but if demand is there i'm sure sony will follow microsoft's "here's an update" route to satisfying people

in other words, it's not actually that big a deal imo.

I would be more worried about the fact that the ps3 was designed for hardware emulation. When did they decide to make it software for the Eu only, and how much are they spending on it? Considering that they cut out the hardware emulation to drop costs, why waste all that money saved on wages for emulation support coders. This seems like a long and windy slope of crap support and broken promises for the Eu users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

krazy_8s wrote:
    I would be more worried about the fact that the ps3 was designed for hardware emulation. When did they decide to make it software for the Eu only, and how much are they spending on it? Considering that they cut out the hardware emulation to drop costs, why waste all that money saved on wages for emulation support coders. This seems like a long and windy slope of crap support and broken promises for the Eu users.

It wasn't designed for hardware emulation - moving to software emulation was always planned once they got it working right, I read about that many months ago. The EU is getting it first because it seems to coincide nicely with their EU launch, everyone else will be getting it soon enough.

As to how good it is, only time will tell.

krazy_8s wrote:

ps3 wasn't designed for hardware emulation at all. the fact that they shoved a ps2 chip in says it all. they did that because the software emulation wasn't finished, to the extent that the hardware emulation didn't upscale games properly, and looked like complete trash. americans are waiting for us to get our ps3's so that they get an update with better emulation software for them.
    Mr.StRiPe wrote:

because sony has spent a year trying to get the emulation right on a software level. they were forced out of the gate with ps3 too early to have proper software emulation, so they stuck a ps2 chip in american/japanese models of the machine.

americans are waiting for us to get our ps3's so that they get an update with better emulation software for them.

When has software emulation ever been better than playing on the hardware the game was designed for? Apart from, say, MAME, which lets you play without putting money in.
    because sony has spent a year trying to get the emulation right on a software level.

"Limited compatibility" doesn't sound quite right to me.
    they were forced out of the gate with ps3 too early to have proper software emulation, so they stuck a ps2 chip in american/japanese models of the machine.

Launching a full year after the competition is hardly the actions of someone being forced out of the gate. And it doesn't change the fact that sticking a PS2 chip in makes for far better backwards compatibitlity; ie future models of the PS3 (including the ones we're being charged a hell of a lot mored for) will in fact be worse than those at launch in the US and Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

they were forced out of the gate with ps3 too early to have proper software emulation, so they stuck a ps2 chip in american/japanese models of the machine.

Yeah. But 'limited compatability' means they still aren't ready - nor, by the looks of it, will they make much of an effort to improve the situation in future.

But whereas they throw Japan and the US a bone they just tell Europe to put up and shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Just saw another article about this on GameSpot:
    GameSpot wrote:
    An anonymous Sony spokesperson has told Web site Three Speech that the difference in the new models of the PlayStation 3--which will be sold in Europe, Australasia, Africa, and the Middle East--is that the Emotion Engine has been removed.

The Emotion Engine/Graphics Emulator was used in the original PS3s, which went on sale in the US and Japan in November, to emulate PlayStation 2 titles. The graphics chip has been retained in the European version of the console, but the Emotion Engine has been removed.

The spokesperson said, "This has an impact on the number of PS2 titles that will be backwards compatible." They added that the company would be continuing to "assess" the compatibility of PS2 titles before the launch date of March 23. The spokesperson also reiterated the previous statement to say that, "Rather than concentrate on PS2 backwards compatibility, in the future, company resources will be increasingly focused on developing new games and entertainment features exclusively for PS3, truly taking advantage of this exciting technology."

However, it is still unclear as to what percentage of PS2 games will be affected, or to what extent Sony intends to make extra games compatible via updates. The company has previously said that, "the backwards compatibility is not going to be as good as the US and Japan models," and that the new style system will only play a of PS2 titles.

They also confirmed that the quality of images of PS2 games on the PS3 had been fixed, and that the necessary updates would be incorporated into the European launch models.

• Advertisement

Well f*ck you very much Sony spokesperson.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mr.StRiPe

because sony has spent a year trying to get the emulation right on a software level. they were forced out of the gate with ps3 too early to have proper software emulation, so they stuck a ps2 chip in american/japanese models of the machine.

Over the last year sony haven't got much right! this coupled with the fact that the PS2 was a nightmare to program for. This meant that developers had to use all kinds of tweaks to get their code to run efficiently on it so a generic emulation solution in the PS3 would be some challenge!

Even the slim line PS2's couldn't run all the games for this reason and that was a sony hardware solution!

"Rather than concentrate on PS2 backwards compatibility, in the future, company resources will be increasingly focused on developing new games and entertainment features exclusively for PS3, truly taking advantage of this exciting technology."

Translation:

"Rather than waste limited development budgets catering for software that's already been bought and paid for over the last 7 years, we intend to just screw the installed base of fans and customers and try to get them to buy newly developed software to bolster the huge losses we're making, truly taking advantage of anyone we can."

Mr.StRiPe wrote:
    Over the last year sony haven't got much right! this coupled with the fact that the PS2 was a nightmare to program for. This meant that developers had to use all kinds of tweaks to get their code to run efficiently on it so a generic emulation solution in the PS3 would be some challenge!

i notice a lot of new members ruining the vibe of educated opinion round here.

fact is, ps2 wasn't a complete nightmare to program for. otherwise there would be no point bothering in the early stages.

as for the tricks and tweaks, welcome to console development buddy. it's how it goes. why do you think it's such a b1tch for microsoft to make the 360 play all the xbox games?

The poster you're quoting appears to have been registered with boards since july 1999....hardly that new really.

As for "ruining the vibe of educated opinion"; posters are entitled to post an opinion, be they new or established....nothing says it has to an educated opinion....if it's wrong then it'll be shot down by the more educated posters on here.
    Sorry for off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

PS2 WAS a complete nightmare to program for, particularly the memory setup (and that's coming from developers I work with who used to be in the games industry).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

fact is, ps2 wasn't a complete nightmare to program for. otherwise there would be no point bothering in the early stages.

as for the tricks and tweaks, welcome to console development buddy. it's how it goes. why do you think it's such a b1tch for microsoft to make the 360 play all the xbox games?
    no he is right the ps2 was very hard to develop for, look at the quality of a lot of the earlier games... the reason the developers stuck with it was because of the massive customer base sony made with the ps1

why do you think it's such a b1tch for microsoft to make the 360 play all the xbox games?

Because they plumped for software emulation, WHICH IS PRECISELY THE POINT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Woah there tex, the Ps2 is a cnut to program for. Sweet jebus it breaks my brain just thinking about it.
    Thanks to the retarded ass backwards setup of the chips, and the reliance on the bus speed to compensate for this, getting the ps2 to do anything halfway decent takes alot of time, effort and some very dark arts indeed.

And as other people have pointed out, given the massive user base of the Ps1, sticking it out with the Ps2 was probably considered a safe bet by most publishers.

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote:
    The poster you're quoting appears to have been registered with boards since july 1999....hardly that new really.

65 posts, regardless of the time you're a member, is not a "veteran" tbh...
    astrofool wrote:
    PS2 WAS a complete nightmare to program for, particularly the memory setup (and that's coming from developers I work with who used to be in the games industry).

the memory setup in the ps3 is probably far worse, the difference being there's more of it.
    Woah there tex, the Ps2 is a cnut to program for. Sweet jebus it breaks my brain just thinking about it.
    Thanks to the retarded ass backwards setup of the chips, and the reliance on the bus speed to compensate for this, getting the ps2 to do anything halfway decent takes alot of time, effort and some very dark arts indeed.

you're saying this without thinking of what it was sitting next to. most consoles are a complete and utter biatch when sat next to a PC (or 360, which is basically a PC setup), but anyone with programming knowledge behind them knows that in order to keep up you have to adapt. the reason it's a b1tch to program for is that it doesn't use the friendly PC-type stuff everyone's used to, and its methods are very different.

if the same hardware was there under a Windows OS then you'd hear a lot less moaning from devs...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement