Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

want to increase mem in my laptop

Options
  • 25-02-2007 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭

tis a dell inspiron 6000 with a gig (2x512)

ideally id like two gigs but as its only got two slots i was going to get one gig first to have 1.5 and chance the second 512mb later for another gig.

my qn is, will i run into trouble running the 512 and the 1 gig side by side as its dual channel?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Largely depends on the motherboard and what configuration Dell support. It should in theory have no problem but can't say with certainty without looking at the docs that lay out the supported RAM configurations.

Take a look at who makes the RAM already in it and see if you can buy the same brand but in a larger capacity or buy a Crucial SO-DIMM for it as those are generally your best chance in terms of compatibility.

Get one from the memory advisor on their site for your specific laptop. According to the Crucial site the laptop supports a max of 1GB per slot so the 1GB + 512MB should work in terms of supporting the full capacity of the modules and in dual channel mode.

Advertisement