Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

audi brake sensor

Options
  • 25-02-2007 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

hello all,

i'm on the verge of picking up a car in the uk. it's a '98 A6. it's a very good deal but the only problem is the brake pad wear indicator has gone off on the dash and the pads are fine.

anyone have any ideas about this problem/ costs to fix. it'll be an NCT fail.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Any warning light is an NCT fail.
    The wear sensor just clips into the pad and is an easy enough DIY job if you know anything about brakes. You may even be able to insert a new sensor without removing the pads!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If the pads are fine but the wear indicator is on, then it's most likely that 'sensorless' pads were fitted in error - they will work fine but the absence of a sensor will keep the wear indicator on. It could also be that the wiring and/or sensor is faulty. Either way it's not a big repair job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

thanks lads. another one for you while you're at it.:D

the seller has announced that the fuel guage is misreading and needs to be reset? he reckons it costs £40 from a main dealer but i've never heard of this problem and i think he may have made up the rectification for a plumbing/ electrical problem.

any strong opinions?:) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The fuel guage problem is most likely a faulty sender unit in the tank.

Now for the 'paranoid' opinion. The brake wear light is on and the fuel guage is reading incorrectly - it is not beyond possibility that the instrument cluster may have been changed and a similar (but not identical) one fitted which is not coded to the car correctly and doesn't recognise the brake pad wear signal and is misinterpreting the fuel guage signal. So if this is the case I'd have a big question mark over the mileage.

Be sure the car and dealer are both genuine! Try to establish if the mileage is correct before you buy.

Advertisement