Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Subject?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

My friend who's doing music let me listen to the Gerald Barry piece and I thought it kicked ass.

I think I would be bored to tears overanalysing Boh Rhap personally, although I saw a paper where it came up and it was shockingly easy.

In retrospect I shoulda done music, although I don't like things like being judged on my composition etc. it's far too subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Well a lot of the composition is just obeying the rules really. (Thank god) it doesn't take much ability for real composition.

Gerald Barry is... not pleasant. I'm only hoping the modern piece for my course is better. We're doing three songs by The Beatles and it's easy enough. I'm glad we're not doing bohemian rhapsody. I wouldn't mind ending up hating the Beatles songs.. well, except for She's Leaving Home, that's a lovely song.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Is it Barry, Bach and Co this year or the Beatles et al..........Barry is ok once you can get around all the different sections. 14 if I'm remembering correctly....gave my notes to a student teacher so no reference.

It's a pain there not being a book though, but a blessing in disguise as you've kinda written your own book in class which helps the memory for learning the stuff.

Barry is....a-l-t-e-r-n-a-t-i-v-e...would be a good word. listened to it there last week and it's amazing how you forget how ok it is when you get the head around it

Considering I'm into a lot of syncopated, alternative, noisy and experimental stuff I thought Barry kicked ass because it was really alternative yet with musical academy backing, which I thought was very cool. I also love the way it pisses off strictly theory-obsessed, rule adhering LC music students and their "Oh My God! I can't believe we have to study Barry, it's soooo crap" attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

music definitely! i used to absolutely hate the gerald barry but its actually grown on me! mad. altho hand clusters still scare the crap outta me... what piano deserves that sorta treatment??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

fonpokno wrote:
    music definitely! i used to absolutely hate the gerald barry but its actually grown on me! mad. altho hand clusters still scare the crap outta me... what piano deserves that sorta treatment??

Our teacher used to get a piece of wood in each hand and slam down on the piano when discussing the hand clusters....ah those were the days....when I lived in a bubble!!!! how I miss it and how I don't!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭boger

MATHS IS THE SUBJECT, LIKE HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE THE SUBJECT ITS JUST BLOODY AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

The number of exclamation marks in your post is making me like maths less. And that ain't a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

German! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

I am the sole vote for business! After that it would be accounting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

Ag.Science :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Irish is my Favourite subject because it is my language. (I am at risk of failing but I refuse to do ordinary level on those grounds.)

Maths is my best and therefore also favourite subject because I find it inteeresting and easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

History, its so interesting learning about all the leaders of the past and how their people went along with them, especially Hitler and the Germans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

apart from Maths and physics, they all suck by a relative measure.
    Some more than others like History:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

BrightEyes wrote:
    History, its so interesting learning about all the leaders of the past and how their people went along with them, especially Hitler and the Germans

History is the most overrated, boring and downright "rubbish" subject in the whole LC.
    History confuses proper learning with Memorisation.

Its nothing more than a subject which tests memory for the most part.
    But hey, thats just my opinion:)

I dont like how Physics is a bit "learn this off by heart" either, but its a far cry from History, or even English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

Irish is my Favourite subject because it is my language. (I am at risk of failing but I refuse to do ordinary level on those grounds.)
    Interesting the diversity that's out there, I suppose.

Personally, I detest its very existence. It's my only Ordinary Level subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭BlackMamba

I like either English or Geography.
    Geography is grand because you get 20% from the field work....EASY
    And for some very strange reason, I actually liked doing Death Of A Salesman in English.:eek: It was so much better than Silas marner!!

DEATH TO SILAS MARNER!!!!:mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

economics hands down. having said that geography is a close second. which is why one of my cao choices is economics and geography in TCD. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Naikon wrote:
    History is the most overrated, boring and downright "rubbish" subject in the whole LC.
    History confuses proper learning with Memorisation.

Its nothing more than a subject which tests memory for the most part.
    But hey, thats just my opinion:)

I dont like how Physics is a bit "learn this off by heart" either, but its a far cry from History, or even English.

The exam is just pure write out what you know type thing. But there is such a thing as reading history outside of school so to actually understand what you are learning in school

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Maths was my favourite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Geography is my favourite! I have heard so many stories about rocky bay in Co. Cork that you have to like the subject. Very interesting syllabus. eg. plate tectonics is interesting and regional geography. Not so much the social economic part of it though.

Chemistry would probably come a close second. A teacher who actually cares for her pupils and gets you the results. Plus you have a good laugh doing the experiments. I remember a few months back when i did the ethyne experiment where i had a gas jar of the gas and i lit it and I almost blew up the room because the reaction was rediculously large, and my teacher was surprised that the reaction was so big.(does say though in my chemistry book that this part of the experiment is for thrill seakers) The black soot that was produced was priceless.It was a black christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

History.
    Then english.

I would have loved to have done classics if the teacher hadn't retired before 5th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

Applied maths or economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

What the hell?No Economics in the poll?Poll fails.Economics rules all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

i like maths!! (honors math all the way baby!)...i should probably mention, higher math in college is very very very hard, and i would definitely not recommend it!!

i also like chemistry...its easy enough if you like it!

i also like jam...totally irrelevant?....yes:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

Home Economics All The Way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

French pour moi. I find it easy, and I have a great teacher.
    HL Maths and Biology just make me want to cry. Everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Comme aussi Selphie, C'est francais.

(How to you get a cedille under the c in "Francais" when using a qwerty keyboard?)

JBoyle4eva wrote:
    (How to you get a cedille under the c in "Francais" when using a qwerty keyboard?)
    You google "francais" and copy and paste it like so:

"ç"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

JBoyle4eva wrote:
    Comme aussi Selphie, C'est francais.

As JC says...

I'd love to have a keyboard with all the French keys...

Advertisement