Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First car pajero jr or integra

Options
  • 25-02-2007 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Im buying my first car amd i have been looking at two imports the integra 96 with 52k on the clock for 5500 or a padjero jr with 50k on the clock for 6000, they are already imported and the vrt will be paid.
    Is it hard to get parts when an import breaks down ?
    do you think thats good value for money?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 byrnemx

hannable 80 u bastard!! give me back my tractor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

What model integra is it? It's a bit dear imho for a 1.6. If it's a 1.8 (not type-R) then that's an ok price.

Breakers are full of integras so getting parts from there is not a problem. Motor factors will have filters, brake pads etc readily available. Genuine Honda parts can also be gotten easily (from a dealer), but in a lot of cases the will have to order the part from Japan which can take 3-4 weeks to arrive.

Afaik Mitusbishi is pretty much the same as regards parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

How old are you? Depending on age, the integra may be uninsurable for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would imagine insurance on the Pajero Junior would be expensive enough for a first time buyer too.

To the OP, check the cost of insurance first before committing to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Why is it that all older Japanese imports always have ~50 k miles on the clock?

Has the guy on the boat with the screwdriver no imagination?

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I have noticed that also peasant, always 50 something k for jap imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I have a pajero jr and have had no probs getting parts for it when it needed to be serviced. Its my first car and I love it but I paid €3700 for it from buy & sell - €6000 is a bit steep imo for a first car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

the 1.1 pajero junior? ist that a bit......well.....ridiculous? im not usually worried about image (drive a vectra) but always found those pajero jrs. to be a bit pointless. Teg would be a nice first car IMO provided it all falls into place regarding insurance etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

JHMEG wrote:
    What model integra is it? It's a bit dear imho for a 1.6. If it's a 1.8 (not type-R) then that's an ok price.
    Agree with you there.
    Breakers are full of integras so getting parts from there is not a problem.
    Really? God I haven't been in a breakers in years.:D Great crack rooting through looking for stuff you need(even stuff you don't). Can you recommend a good un?
    peasant wrote:
    Why is it that all older Japanese imports always have ~50 k miles on the clock?

Has the guy on the boat with the screwdriver no imagination?:D :D
    Yeah there's a pattern alright ;). That's why if you're buying an import you should insist on an auction sheet for it. I've found very few importers here ever have one though. I wonder why? Hmmmmm. Failing that bring it in yourself and save a fair few quid and get a car that at the very least isn't an accident damaged one. The amount I've seen that have been smacked and badly repaired is scary.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote:
    God I haven't been in a breakers in years.:D Great crack rooting through looking for stuff you need(even stuff you don't). Can you recommend a good un?
    Breaker out a bit from Kilcock, can't remember their name, but they have a good stock of Integras. Many's the small bit I got for my G2 Integra from there, including those damn H4H (Jap-only) headlamp bulbs -- €24 a pop from the motor factors! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

As an example, a friend of mine is selling his Prelude. 1.8, 1996, 96k. He's very anal, and it's absolutely immaculate. He's looking for about 1300 for it. So there's better value out there if you look.

I had a Jap import Space Wagon, funny enough, with 50k on it. The mechanice found a service sticker somewhere which indicated something had been replaced at 70k!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

hannable80 wrote:
    Im buying my first car amd i have been looking at two imports the integra 96 with 52k on the clock for 5500 or a padjero jr with 50k on the clock for 6000, they are already imported and the vrt will be paid.
    Is it hard to get parts when an import breaks down ?
    do you think thats good value for money?

I've said i before - stay away from the Pajero Jnr if you don't want one of the most uncomfortable rides money can buy. I travelled in one of these before - even on the smoothest of road we were being bounced all over the place - my poor old head got a fierce bashing from the roof and sides of it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

overdriver wrote:
    As an example, a friend of mine is selling his Prelude. 1.8, 1996, 96k. He's very anal, and it's absolutely immaculate. He's looking for about 1300 for it. So there's better value out there if you look.
    I would say your friends prelude is a 2 litre....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,394 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

peasant wrote:
    Has the guy on the boat with the screwdriver no imagination?

LOL :)
    byrnemx wrote:
    hannable 80 u bastard!! give me back my tractor

What the hell is that about? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭hannable80

yeah 24 full licence, so there is about 200 euro in the insurance differance between the cars, yeah kinda worried about that 52K myself, I looked at the engin and it looks mucky?! i have no idea about engins, its a 1.6 integra, doesnt have anything done to it bar a set of alloys and i recon its lowered......SO you guys think jap imports are gud idea, dont want the hasel of going around diff garages trying to find someone that will fix the car!

With Jap imports unless you get the original auction sheet or the Jap equivalent to a HPI report (can't remember what it's called) you have no way of knowing if it's been clocked. Clocking of these is widespread, tho it's difficult to know exactly what scale. And some dealers/importers seem to be worse than others. If possible you should really import it yourself.. there are many threads on this forum about importing from Japan.

If you are going down the route of buying locally, then it's a case of sold as seen. You can pretty much ignore what the odometer says as without proof it doesn't matter what it says. If the car in question is pretty much spotless with a very clean engine bay, go for it.

As an alternative to the Integra you could consider a Civic Coupe. In 1.6i LS form it's pretty much the same engine as the 1.6 Integra. It won't have aircon, but if it has a full service history then you're safe enough. You should be able to pick up one within your budget: I sold my 7 year old one 4 years ago for 5,800 and it was spotless, had FSH etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

unkel wrote:
    What the hell is that about? :confused:

In-joke maybe?

cheers will take this into consideration

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

JHMEG wrote:
    With Jap imports unless you get the original auction sheet or the Jap equivalent to a HPI report (can't remember what it's called) you have no way of knowing if it's been clocked. Clocking of these is widespread, tho it's difficult to know exactly what scale. And some dealers/importers seem to be worse than others. If possible you should really import it yourself.. there are many threads on this forum about importing from Japan.
    That, right there is about as succinct and accurate an assessment of the Jap import situation as you're likely to read. Importing is easier than you may think and at least with the auction report you get the actual mileage. Also a more dodgy issue is the whole accident damaged cars showing up here with a lick of paint and being sold as decent cars. I've seen this myself on way more than one occassion. The biggest question you should ask yourself is; if you bid on a car in Japan and import it you will get an auction sheet and may even get a copy of the Shaken(their NCT) to boot. So why don't the dealers have them? Hmmmm. Some of the excuses are classic. "Ah you won't be able to read it mate, it's in Japanese". Crap. You can read the mileage and the auction grade, both of which make a big diff to the price at auction in Japan. A high grade car with low mileage can be 50% dearer than a low grade high mileage car of the same model. I wonder why they don't keep them. Oh look we're back to Hmmmmm. Jayzuz I'm getting suspicious in my old age.
    If you are going down the route of buying locally, then it's a case of sold as seen. You can pretty much ignore what the odometer says as without proof it doesn't matter what it says. If the car in question is pretty much spotless with a very clean engine bay, go for it.
    True and if you can check under the car and the rubbers of the car for any overspray. The repairers often do a bodge job on the paintwork.
    As an alternative to the Integra you could consider a Civic Coupe. In 1.6i LS form it's pretty much the same engine as the 1.6 Integra. It won't have aircon, but if it has a full service history then you're safe enough. You should be able to pick up one within your budget: I sold my 7 year old one 4 years ago for 5,800 and it was spotless, had FSH etc.
    Very sound advice from JHMEG there. It's alighter car too so it should be more nippy*, if that's your thing.

*No that's not a racial slur on our Japanese brethren, lest the PC brigade get their knickers in a bunch.:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,394 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Wibbs wrote:
    that's not a racial slur on our Japanese brethren, lest the PC brigade get their knickers in a bunch.:D [/SIZE]

We're not that sensitive around here, or at least I hope not ;)

• Advertisement

Oh you wouldn't believe the grief I get on other forums(usually rightfully).:D Cars are the great levelers, unless you're from the green issues forum.

No word of a lie, once many moons ago I was "following" a well driven car for a couple of miles on a very quiet road in the middle of a grand summers day. Twisty bends, short straights, you get the picture. Pull up along side coming into Dublin and the driver is a Muslim woman in the full gear, veil the whole lot. All you can see are the eyes. She gives me the thumbs up and away she goes. That's when I really appreciated why I love cars. :D

Biro wrote:
    I would say your friends prelude is a 2 litre....
    Definitely 1.8 auto. So it's probably an import.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Joeface

SIMPLE ANSWERS ,buy the integra , It will be cheap to run. 1.6 Honda Integra can easily do 40mpg if driven at the speed limits:D
    the Pajero Jnr is a bit of a joke , if ur going to buy a jeep buy a real one.also Honda's are near impossible to kill. Enjoy

Joeface wrote:
    SIMPLE ANSWERS ,buy the integra , It will be cheap to run. 1.6 Honda Integra can easily do 40mpg if driven at the speed limits:D
    That's a very good point.

overdriver wrote:
    Definitely 1.8 auto. So it's probably an import.

That's a seriously old Prelude if it's 1.8. From 1992 on the smallest engine was a 2.0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

JHMEG wrote:
    That's a seriously old Prelude if it's 1.8. From 1992 on the smallest engine was a 2.0.

I think the last 1.8 prelude was made in 1987, that is old.

It's definitely a 1996 one. I could've heard him wrong or whatever. When he calls me, I'll ask.

My bad it's an ACCORD!!!
    Why is there no "D'oh!!" smilie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Wouldn't bother with a Pajero Jr at all. Personally I can't see the point of them. Small, uncomfortable, bad handling, tiny boot space.

• Advertisement

Advertisement