Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Ireland catch up eventually .. ?

Options
  • 25-02-2007 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

Was reading this article on google and how they are buying up bandwidth to deliver the next wave on the net - video / ipTV.

It occured to me that it's taking Ireland so long to get the first phase of BB delivered .. that when the next wave hits we will fall even further behind .. Is this true or is there a master plan for Ireland ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I would think once we get this much done it will be easier to move forward
    look at how countries like japan are moving from bb to things like fibre optic
    seems like a easy enough tranission
    Could be wrong about that but it seems like the first hurdle is the hardest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Eircom will make it their business to make each and every hurdle as hard as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

japans going from broadband to fibre optic

irelands going from poor dial up..........to gauranteed 56 kp/s to every customer in countrie

tis the future people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

zod wrote:
    It occured to me that it's taking Ireland so long to get the first phase of BB delivered .. that when the next wave hits we will fall even further behind .. Is this true or is there a master plan for Ireland ?
    We really haven't got through the first phase yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

zod wrote:
    Was reading this article on google and how they are buying up bandwidth to deliver the next wave on the net - video / ipTV.
    Don't believe all you read in newspapers. For a start no-one will supply extra bandwidth and the associated traffic with out charging the customers more. In the long term "free" or nearly free BB offers are only sustainable for very poor services only able for occasional browsing and email.

Seriously useful VOD/IPTV etc needs about 20 times to 1000 times the current user's traffic allowance (Cap) and 3 to 10 times current user bandwidth.

It's a scary amount of aggregate traffic if people use IP instead of DTT/Sat/ cable broadcast for majority of TV.

Mwahahhhaaaa!
    If there is a master plan, all indications are it's not a pleasant one. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement