Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Telecom Router/Modem Connection Help!

Options
  • 25-02-2007 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi, im with Smart and just brought a NetGear DG834G modem/router to use instead of the one they provide.

Im having trouble connecting to the internet - I can connect to the smart servers and get an IP address, but get page cannot displayed when trying to go anywhere. This is using the ethernet cable directly from modem to computer, not wireless.

I can ping sites through the router's diagnostic tool, but not through the cmd prompt (it returns the IP address, but the ping request times out).

Any suggestions? I have upgraded to the latest firmware, disabled firewall, checked firefox/IE settings to no avail.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭CoolBoardr

Never mind. Got it working by enabling NAT.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Generally the best place for any Smart related technical queries:

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/index.php?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Amanda456

Hi Folks,

I got connected to Smart telecom a few weeks ago and they left me with a grey wire coming out of the wall that I need to connect to the laptop to have internet access.

I am trying to make it wireless so bought a Linksys Wireless G Broadband router - WRT54GS but have been unable to get it working, I have rang smart telecom and was told they can't provide third party support.

Any ideas on how I can make my access wireless?

I'm all for calling a tech to come to the house - if anyone knows anybody I'm in Dublin.

Amanda

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Amanda456 wrote:
    Hi Folks,

I got connected to Smart telecom a few weeks ago and they left me with a grey wire coming out of the wall that I need to connect to the laptop to have internet access.

I am trying to make it wireless so bought a Linksys Wireless G Broadband router - WRT54GS but have been unable to get it working, I have rang smart telecom and was told they can't provide third party support.

Any ideas on how I can make my access wireless?

I'm all for calling a tech to come to the house - if anyone knows anybody I'm in Dublin.

Amanda

The WRT54GS isn't a ADSL modem so you'll have to connect the Smart/Aolynk modem to the Lynksys' WAN port. Set-up should be fairly simple from there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You will have to put your Aolynk into bridge mode (otherwise you have two machines performing the routing function) full instructions on how to to do this are here: http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=153

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

The WRT54GS isn't a ADSL modem so you'll have to connect the Smart/Aolynk modem to the Lynksys' WAN port. Set-up should be fairly simple from there.

I'd guess Amanda is actually a SmartVision customer.

Best bet is to post on the SmartVision forum at http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Amanda456 wrote:

Is it a phone port or like a phone plug only bigger?

If it is the latter, plug it into the 'WAN' port on the wireless router and plug a cable from your computer into any 'LAN' port. If this works, then it is just a matter of configuring the router correctly.

Advertisement