Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science Vs IS/IT

Options
  • 25-02-2007 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm thinking of applying for either of the courses, Im really interested in the graphics design part of both courses, I know the IS/IT one has an optional module in year 4, I'm not sure about the CS course tho.
    Im just looking for feedback from people who have done either course, your opinions of whether it was beneficial to you, whether it was hard to maintain a job around studying, and what your outcome of it all was.
    I dont have a leaving certificate, I'm a school leaver, so, only have a JC.I'm 17 but Ive got a CCNA, Comptia Network+, Security+, Linux+ and doing a few other courses at the moment.

I'd be interested in doing either course ( CS / Information Systems & IT), and pursuing a Digital design, or Multimedia design masters after either of the course, just to branch out.Yeah I know getting a little ahead of myself!
    For the moment, Ive to do 2 FETAC courses to apply for the CS course, Im really not sure about the Information Systems & IT one at all, regards to what FETACs I would need for that, or even if they are accepted for that course.

I spoke with Doodee about both courses, and from what he said about the IS&IT courses, sounded alot more appealling, it seems to deal with broader ranges in the computing field, than the CS module does.

If you could get back to me on your opinions of each, and if you've any idea whether the IT&IS course accepts FETACs, that'd be very much appreciated.

~Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

if you're more interested in looking at graphics, like i am, then don't even look twice at CS.

i deferred the year (3rd) and won't be returning. it'll give you a job as a programmer monkey who's right brain will rot away...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

First and foremost, computer science is mostly applied maths, which is concerned with methods of digital computation. You'll be learning electronic engineering principles, maths, applied physics and a lot of programming, so really you have to be more interested in maths and physics and how to apply them.

Now multimedia development is actually a combination of applied art, design and computer science. It's great that you know linux, because you'd be much better off doing multimedia programming and computer graphics on linux or mac rather than PC. Now if you want to do the digital design part of multimedia, you'll need to know programming/scripting languages such as Java Script, Action Script and a lot of Python, as well as graphics and sound software, like MAYA and Flash. You'll basically need to use those scripting languages within those packages. A good knowledge of maths would be beneficial.

The most important part of digital design is developing a concept, and concentrating on how the user might perceive it and how it will look and feel. You'll need to know principles of graphic design and ergonomics.

If you want to develop software for producing multimedia content, computer science would come in very handy. However, if you want to develop multimedia content itself, you'll have to find a course that combines design and IT.

-Yuri

*I hope this helps you*

Advertisement