Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C2D E4300, matx and 200w PSU - advice!

Options
  • 25-02-2007 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭

I've 2 low profile aluminium cases here, one running an (939) AMD64 3500+ (67w) and one running an old (socket A)2400+ (68w???). These are both on MSI mATX boards, 1 FDD, 1HDD, 1DVD, 1GB ram each. Everything else is onboard, although the 2400+ currently has a low profile Geforce MX4000.

The 3500+ (with stock cooling) runs much quieter and cooler than the 2400+ and methinks its time to retire the latter. Both machines are completely stable btw - I've never had any trouble with either.

Advice on the following would be greatly appreciated:
    [1]
    The output on the PSUs are 200watt max. The +5v (red) 25A, +12v (yellow) 13A and +3.3v (Orange) have a maximum rating of 190W. After some checking I can't replace the PSU with anything more highly rated (remember its small). Considering I can run a 3500+, and I'd guess I could get a (AM2)3800+ x2 (65W) running no probs, do people think I'd get a C2D E4300 running in a similar configuration (i.e. with on board graphics etc).

[2]
    The recommended CPU cooler hight for the case is 58mm (which incls 15.6mm gap). I'm running the stock cooler on the 3500+ and its fine. Is the stock cooler on the lower end Core 2s lower than say 68mm?

[3]
    The 3500+ is running with NVIDIA GeForce 6150 on board GPU. In the Intel space it appears to be either Unichrome GPU or Intel GMA X3000 GPU. Not for gaming, any preferences?

[4]
    Since this is lower end, should I just stick with a AM2 3800+ x2. Like for like its about €50 cheaper and the machine doesn't have to be a blinder... Can always look at C2D in the future...

Thanks in advance :)

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think you'd be ok. I've seen 3500 and P4's stringing along on 150w psu's. The C2d consume less power as well so I don't see any issues arising.

The X3000 is much better then the Unichrome, although if you aren't gaming not much difference. It got pretty crap benches when it first came out but with the latest drivers it can outperform the Nvidia 6150 and the situation can only improve as they update them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Can't really see the need for the Core 2 Duo E4300, have you thought about finding a S939 Athlon 64 X2 3800+ and putting that inside instead ?

The GMA X3000 is the better of the two technically though not sure about GPU assisted video decoding one area where the UniChrome "might" actually be better.

Zalman sell a low profile cooler that should work if you find the stock cooler too noisy (no AM2 version though).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Thanks for the replys ladz...
    8T8 wrote:
    Can't really see the need for the Core 2 Duo E4300, have you
    thought about finding a S939 Athlon 64 X2 3800+ and putting that inside instead ?
    The 939 x2 3800+s are 89w (max) parts, and I dont know if it would be too much for the machine, or atleast keeping the PSU working nearer to maximum too often. I was considering the AM2 x2 3800+ because there's a 65w version - www.amdcompare.com.

This BTW is a low profile cooler :D.

Any idea on the height of the C2D stock cooler. This appears to be a reasonable alternative - just need to go looking for a few reviews.

Thanks again

D.

Advertisement