Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new hard drive

• 25-02-2007 8:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭

I have a 40 GB hard disk in my laptop
    There is 20 GB of space for Windows and 20 GB for Fedora 6.

My problem is I am running out of hard disk space, so I bought a 120 GB drive.
    It took me a great deal of time to set up my current copy of Linux the way that I have it and to get all of the hardware working (especially the Vodafone connect card, wireless networking and all of the plugins for Firefox) so I don't want to reinstall it. :(

I have no intention of installing windows on the new hard drive. So after all that waffle my question is, is it possible to use drive image software to copy and resize my Linux partitions on the new hard drive or would I be better off leaving the partitions the current size and creating a new partition to fill the rest of the drive. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Is 20GB enough for your / partition in FC6? If so then I would backup my /home folder (I assume you don't have a seperate partition for / and /home at present?) and then partition the 120GB hard drive so you have a 20-40GB /home partition and the rest for a FAT32 partition which is readable and writeable by both windows and linux. Then simply modify your /etc/fstab file to mount your /home partition from your 120GB drive.

You will then have a 20GB / partition, 40GB /home partition, 80GB FAT32 and the 20GB windows partition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭emaherx

bman wrote:
    Is 20GB enough for your / partition in FC6?
    No 20 GB is not enough hence the new drive.

Also I am going to ditch windows altogether (from this laptop anyway).
    So I will have the full 120GB Hard disk for Linux.

I do intened on creating a new partition for /home, what I really want to know is it possible to
    safely resize my / partition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

emaherx wrote:
    what I really want to know is it possible to safely resize my / partition?

Re: Resizing. It depends on the type of the filesystem. So you need to do a bit of legwork on it.

The safest way I can think of this - without reinstalling, is to possibly make 4 partitions (or at least 3): /boot (it saves SO much pain), /, swap and /home (optional but recommended)

What you'd do then is copy the relavent stuff across from disk to disk. The only thing that would probably need changing is the fstab file.

Then install grub - and edit your grub configuration files to point to the right disks.

By the way, the reason I mention /boot is because I did a very bad thing with my first linux install. I just made 2 partitions, swap and /, and it dual-booted with windows with grub. So, the stage 1 of it was pointing to my / dir. This meant that I'd have "fun" if /boot on that partition went walkabout. As a result, I didn't upgrade my system for ages.

So, the two disk-dependant things I can think of would be fstab and grub. The rest generally don't care what disk they live on - unless the program is doing something silly.

Oh, and have a livecd to hand, they're really handy in cases like this.

Hope at least some of that is useful.
    Aoife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I had a similar problem a while back. I found a nice solution that might suit you but I can't remember what it was. Have a search back on this forum though.

Advertisement