Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SE K800i on 3: Yay or Nay?

• 25-02-2007 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Anyone any comments?

Want a phone I can open attachments on and listen to the odd mp3, with a middlin' good camera and a good battery life. I need to roam in South Africa for a while this summer, think it looks cheapest on the 3 Network.

Currently a PayAsYouGo customer on the Meteor Network with a Motorola L6 which has seen better days...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

To be honest, I'd leave it, for the simple reason you can't disable 3G which eats battery. You'll be lucky to get 2 days out of the Three model, whereas you'd get closer to 4 out of the O2 or sim free models.

Such a shame Meteor never got that phone.

Regarding roaming, you'll be better off getting the phone unlocked and getting a South African sim, something that's close to impossible to do on Three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You say you want to "open attachments"? What exactly do you mean by this?

In my experience:
    - camera is brilliant
    - battery life is roughly 2 days with moderate usage on the 3G network (O2 in my case)
    - MP3 support is good - memory cards up to 2GB available at the moment.

I've heard awful things about 3, getting unlocking codes and roaming issues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yey on phone
    ney on operator

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭PaddyofNine

Cremo wrote:
    yey on phone
    ney on operator

Yea are people really that turned off by 3? The price plan seems to suit me... Anyone else as good for call costs?

Any other good phone recommendations? As for the attachment thing, I was under the impression I could open PDFs on the thing but could be getting senile...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

ciaranfo wrote:
    You say you want to "open attachments"? What exactly do you mean by this?

In my experience:
    - camera is brilliant
    - battery life is roughly 2 days with moderate usage on the 3G network (O2 in my case)
    - MP3 support is good - memory cards up to 2GB available at the moment.

I've heard awful things about 3, getting unlocking codes and roaming issues!

The unlocking issues were mainly related to nokia bb5 platform handsets. Sony Ericsson users (inc myself) have had no problems getting codes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

neilled wrote:
    The unlocking issues were mainly related to nokia bb5 platform handsets. Sony Ericsson users (inc myself) have had no problems getting codes.
    if he's talking about signing up to a contract with 3 they won't give him the code

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

chrislad wrote:
    To be honest, I'd leave it, for the simple reason you can't disable 3G which eats battery. You'll be lucky to get 2 days out of the Three model, whereas you'd get closer to 4 out of the O2 or sim free models.

can you not disable it on the 3 version?

you can on O2, thats a bit crap

event wrote:

nope, dual mode is the only option when you go into the network settings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Most definatly yay on the phone Iv had one myself for the past few months and its very good. Ull fit a nice few MP3's on it using a memory card (buy the memory card on ebay for a 1/4 of what ull pay in the shops). The battery life is good for a 3g handset about 2.5 days And the camera is one of the best on a camera phone in Ireland at the moment.

You should have no problems getting an unlock code with Three (I didnt have any with my last phone) but they probably wont give it to you untill the end of your year long contract unless you pay a fine. Price plans are good. The main downside to Three is that the roaming is great as far as I know.

cooperguy wrote:
    You should have no problems getting an unlock code with Three (I didnt have any with my last phone)
    you probably got the code on 3pay before they changed the 25 euro charge policy. now you have to have spent 130 in credit.
    cooperguy wrote:
    but they probably wont give it to you untill the end of your year long contract unless you pay a fine. Price plans are good. The main downside to Three is that the roaming is great as far as I know.
    the way it works is you have to pay off the contract (monthly commitment * number of months left) and they terminate your contract so there's no point signing up to a contract if he intends to ask for the code

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

event wrote:

If you're on 3, there would be no point turning off 3G on the phone, as they're a 100% 3G network! It never ceases to amaze me that people on 3 want to turn off the 3G capability on their phones. It's because of ye they had to disable being able to turning it off. :D

If you're on 3, there would be no point turning off 3G on the phone, as they're a 100% 3G network! It never ceases to amaze me that people on 3 want to turn off the 3G capability on their phones. It's because of ye they had to disable being able to turning it off. :D
    the feature is needed for people down the country on the edge of a 3g coverage area. the phone tries to latch onto the weak 3g signal rather than the strong 2g signal and the result is no signal at all. it would be pointless in dublin because there is only 3g coverage there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭nodger

the feature is needed for people down the country on the edge of a 3g coverage area. the phone tries to latch onto the weak 3g signal rather than the strong 2g signal and the result is no signal at all. it would be pointless in dublin because there is only 3g coverage there

Where I live in Clonee, I sometimes have zero coverage (SEK800 on 3). Is that because the 3G signal is so weak there, and the handset is struggling to connect to that instead of taking the available 2G signal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

That's buggy firmware. I live on the edge of 3G signal, and while it switches back and forth from time to time as a result (some rooms have 3G coverage, some don't), I never miss any calls or get out of coverage. The 3G phone I'm using is a Nokia E61, which interestingly also allows itself to be set to "3G only", though I have it on dual-mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

Cremo wrote:
    yey on phone
    ney on operator

Thats exactly it, its an amazing phone but it cant be unlocked easily on 3 .i really hate that network you can buy it from o2,vodafone or even sim free.its a better option to buy it sim free.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭PaddyofNine

Went for the K800i on O2 and love it. Good sturdy phone, clear screen, fast and responsive OS, and the camera's fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Im thinking about getting the SE K750i is there much of a difference between the 750i and the 800i?

Advertisement