Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Content Creation PC

Options
  • 25-02-2007 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

Gonna be building a new PC soon enough (my 3rd build).
    I'm focusing on an all-round PC, but in particular I'll be using it for content creation such as photography (lots of photoshop), music production (cubase) and some video stuff (premiere).

So far I'm thinking

Case
    antec p180b

Processor
    c2d E6600

RAM
    4gb, not too sure what brand yet

GPU
    BFG 8800GTS 640mb

Storage
    Not too sure. I'll probably go with 3x 320gb SATA-II (1 for boot/apps, the other RAID 0 stripe, with several external HD for backup)

I have most of the HDs and a good monitor already (24" TFT). Any ideas about what motherboard or chipset would suit? Things like SLI or overclocking arent of huge interest to me, stability is my primary concern. I'll need lots of USB, some firewire and reasonable sound, although sound will soon be dealt with by a firewire driven external audio interface (motu ultralite).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

For RAM brand wont matter too much just get some DDR-2 800 which is one of the few areas where this helps. This Corsair stuff should do the trick, note that you'll need a 64-bit OS to make use of all that like Windows Vista 64-bit. Under 32-bit OS you will lose some of the RAM to memory remapping up to a possible 1GB with your hardware so only 3GB available.

The GPU is total overkill if not gaming. If not a big gamer but you want something half way decent get this instead.

For HD's I'd get some Western Digital SE16 drives for the arrays and/or backup.

If you want stability get an Intel chipset this Asus P965 board has 10 USB2 ports and a Firewire port.

In the 24" range I'd go with one of Dell's like the 2407.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

8T8 wrote:
    For HD's I'd get some Western Digital SE16 drives for the arrays and/or backup.

In the 24" range I'd go with one of Dell's like the 2407.

Funny actually, that's the monitor I currently have, I'll be holding on to that.

I have 2 of the SE16s (at 320gb) and was thinking of getting another. 500GB MyBook Pro and a 250Gb MyBook for backup.

I think you might be right about the GPU. The money might be better spent elsewhere. The only thing is I'm not a huge ATI fan, a lot of their products have caused me hassle before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well the X1950Pro is generally a decent performance/value card you can get good & bad experiences on both sides of the fence with ATI/NVIDIA.

Just get a 7900GS or something if you really prefer NVIDIA.

Oh yeah this RAM is even cheaper and will also do the job if you want to save a little money.

Advertisement