Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Home Server

• 25-02-2007 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Some of you are certainly aware of the fact Microsoft is working on Windows Server for home users.

http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2007/jan07/01-08WindowsHomeServerPR.mspx

The current dev version is Beta 2 and as far as I understood, maybe be released at the end of 2007 or beginning of 2008.

Personnaly I have got Windows Servers at home with SQL Server etc, so I am not really impressed in a way but I have to admit I am quiet excited about the idea anyway.

As far as I understood the idea of the product is to provide an "easy to use" Server Operating System for home users. The idea is to provide them a central location where to store their files, a great backup feature to even backup your desktops through the LAN...

Personaly I would certainly use it as a NAS device to stream my videos (.avi, .mpg...) to my TV directly And other PCs at home, and eventually something else when I will know more about the features.

I have registered to the Beta program as a Beta tester, but Microsoft did not get back to me (Only the last week), so hopefully I will see pretty soon what it looks like.

Anyway what you guys think about this thing ?

What are you going to use it for? 5 votes

Gonna put all my music, videos on it, then I can watch then from any room
    0% 0 votes
    Gonna use it as a backup server only
    80% 4 votes
    Use it to control my electric/electronic devices at home (TV, Lights, Alarm, Hoover, Wife?)
    20% 1 vote
    Wont use this thing
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

A lot of people aren't going to see the need to splash out the costs of another computer to get the functionality a few applications, and much cheaper NAS devices will get them for a lot less. Frankly, I'm one of them.

Its going to take off about as well as "Windows Powered", IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Yeah possibly but we never know :-)
    Apparently it got a huge positive feedback so far when it has been presented last january.

So will see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well I imagine most technical folks have no need for this and will get their hands dirty with their own setup's. But it might be useful for those who are not quite as adept in this area.

The media sharing could be useful for MCE systems and Xbox 360's or other MCE extenders but given the limited video support of the extenders I can't see it being a must have, it could have at best some management stuff for DVR-MS recorded TV shows or something along those lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

At the moment, it's a private beta.

Beta 1 was for MS employees and Beta 2 will be for 'suitable' applicants. Take the survey here if interested.

I really like a backup feature WHS has. If the same file exists on a few PCs, of the same name and size, then WHS will only backup one version of the file and save a considerable amount of space.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ethernet wrote:
    I really like a backup feature WHS has. If the same file exists on a few PCs, of the same name and size, then WHS will only backup one version of the file and save a considerable amount of space.
    great welcome back to dll hell - unless it also differentiates between contents too. Loads of driver files have similar names and same sizes. :(

BTW: windows 2003 server is free as a six month trial.

depending on the desktop version of windows you can file/print share to up to 10 users. Other services can be got with third party apps, but things like DHCP and basic DNS could come from your Broadband router

what type of machine is it aimed at - a beefy one or a an older second machine ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

what type of machine is it aimed at - a beefy one or a an older second machine?
    Given that its been suggested that this won't be a general OEM release, like the first version of Media Centre, it'll be aimed at spanky new ones.

I think HP will be releasing servers loaded with WHS.

It's headless -- you can only connect remotely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

Won't touch it my self, can see it being an "idot" proof server for the average joe soap.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ethernet wrote:
    It's headless -- you can only connect remotely.
    A headless windows box, sounds like someone's been on the dried frog pills again.

What do you do if/when it breaks ?

http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/cache/447351-0-0-225-121.html HP box

http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/cache/447351-0-0-225-121.html microsofts site - site uses Flash and it's naff

http://connect.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver - if you want to apply to be a beta tester

5. Can you dedicate a computer to testing Windows Home Server (512+ MB RAM, 80+ GB hard disk space, 1+ Ghz Processor and can boot from a DVD drive)? *

A headless windows box, sounds like someone's been on the dried frog pills again.

What do you do if/when it breaks ? ...
    Not been on those pills for a few days now!

The Windows-know-it-all has said it himself [see attachment for exact iteration].

Those system requirements are very reasonable.

• Advertisement

ethernet wrote:
    Not been on those pills for a few days now!.
    I was thinking about the bods that built it not your good self. :)

Then again XBOX's are sorta headless, but they do get rebooted quite often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

i got accepted for the beta a couple of weeks ago, after installing it on an old box, amd xp2000 512mb ram , runs fine.

its not like smallbusiness server, it is small business server with a few extras tagged on. it even says small business server on screen during install.

the client interface is nice and simple. when u install it you get the shared folders mapped to the desktop, vwith default video audio photo etc.

When i tried to plug in my 500gb external drive to the server it wanted to format it and add to the servers space lol, it also duplicates your files for redundency.

Had problems using remote desktop from client to server would only let me in with the admin account , check my account was in correct group still no joy.

Tested the back up + restore function from the client works really well.

It's hard to know if average joe would have use for this , its easy to use an xp pc with oodles of hdd space to share media and printers. maybe they just havent added all the bells an whistles yet?????

Either way to get the most out it you would need to know a bit about this kind of thing. As i said its just like sbs so you have most of that functionality there also.

Advertisement