Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Win XP HOSTS file and ad.uk.doubleclick.net

• 25-02-2007 11:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

A few websites I've been visiting lately are using the ad.uk.doubleclick.net server to place ads and they are really slowing up the site loading.

No problem I thought to myself, I'll open the Windows host file and add the ad.uk.doubleclick.net server and point it at 127.0.0.1 to disable it and speed these sites up.

But when I opened HOSTS I found that ad.uk.doubleclick.net is already in the file. I'm wary of removing the server from the HOSTS file but it appears that these sites are so slow because they are searching for the ad server (and not finding it) for so long!

Should I remove the adserver from the HOSTS file and continue getting ads loaded up or does anyone have a better solution.

I'm using XP SP2 and my HOSTS file is in theusual location C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc.

Any ideas? Mods, as always, if it's in the wrong place apologies but I feel it's a Windows specific issue rather than "security" (despite the risk of ad servers laoding cookies).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Your browser is attempting to connect to a web server at the address 127.0.0.1. Chances are you're not running a webserver on your local machine, so the browser has to wait for the request to time out before it can continue. Typically this time out is 30 seconds.

There are a few options:
    1. If you're using Firefox, get adblock. It's much more effective for this stuff.
    2. Install the World Wide Web Publishing service on Windows XP (Add/Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components). This will mean that there is a webserver running on 127.0.0.1. So instead of your browser having to wait for a time out, the webserver will instantly return a 404, and the browser can continue. This however, opens up security holes, and consumes a small amount of system resources.
    3. Install a firewall that actively blocks connections. Then configure it to actively refuse all connections to 127.0.0.1 on port 80. Instead of waiting for a timeout, the connection will be instantly refused, and the browser will continue. Many firewalls don't actively refuse connections - actively refusing a connection attempt implies that the machine exists, whereas simply ignoring it, "hides" the machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Second adblock on firefox works a treat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Thanks guys, here's the thing...

I'm already using Adblock with FF2 and no joy! I've clicked to open Adblock and clicked on the ad.uk.doubleclick.net script, clicked okay, but the site still hangs for about 30 seconds.

I should clarify my first post by saying that this problem doesn't actually affect any sites that I surf on but my Gf has the problem with the Marie Claire website in particular (on my machine). All other sites are loading up properly for both of us.

Could it be that there is a conflict between HOSTS and Adblock?

Also, I'm using Comodo firewall, I have configured some settings in the past but not really had to change anything for a while so remain unfamiliar with the settings. Is it possible to block all connections using Comodo as Seamus suggested?

I'm annoyed at myself for not being able to take care of this myself but we all need help now and again, right? Guys? Right? :D

I'm not sure if Adblock is per-user. That is, just because you have that site listed in adblock, doesn't mean your better half does (assuming that you use two different logins).

You shouldn't find any conflicts between the hosts file and adblock. Adblock simply tells the browser that "If the server hosting the file is listed in my blacklist, don't request it". Whereas the hosts file tells the browser the address of the server, when it requests it. So in theory, all entries in adblock "override" all entries in the HOSTS file.

I would advise maybe starting with a clean slate. Delete the entry from the hosts file, reboot and see how you get on.

seamus wrote:
    I'm not sure if Adblock is per-user. That is, just because you have that site listed in adblock, doesn't mean your better half does (assuming that you use two different logins).
    No last night she was using my login and I'm definitely using AdBlock:)
    seamus wrote:
    You shouldn't find any conflicts between the hosts file and adblock. Adblock simply tells the browser that "If the server hosting the file is listed in my blacklist, don't request it". Whereas the hosts file tells the browser the address of the server, when it requests it. So in theory, all entries in adblock "override" all entries in the HOSTS file.
    That's what I thought :)
    seamus wrote:
    I would advise maybe starting with a clean slate. Delete the entry from the hosts file, reboot and see how you get on.

Sounds like the way to go :) I'll check it out tonight when I get home. Thanks Seamus.

EDIT: Never got around to it last night, will do so tonight.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote:

Just an update for you all...

I did exactly as you said here Seamus and all is now well in the world. Adblock is blocking the ads. I think by re-directing the ads to my own machine (127.0.0.1) via the HOSTS file Adblock was ignoring it and hence the site was waiting 30 secs or so before timing out?

Either way, all is well now and my gf can surf MarieClaire...great, just great...some problems just aint worth fixing :D

Seriously, thanks! :)

Good to hear :)

Advertisement