Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there such a thing..

Options
  • 26-02-2007 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Is there such a thing that will allow you to connect 2 line ins to one line out, but that also has bluetooth?

How it would be used would, you connect say an MP3 player to one of the line in ports, and a phone that has bluetooth to the other, both of these then feed into the one music sound system (say a car head unit) so that you have both devices connected and if you get a call, the thingy I'm thinking of, will automatically switch from the MP3 player to the phone to allow you to talk without having to turn down the music manually.

I know there's solutions for this built into head units, but it would be handy if there was a way you could do it with any sound system, at a more affordable price.

If not, I bags the copyrights:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

cormie wrote:
    If not, I bags the copyrights:D
    What you want is the patent, not the copyright.

There are lots of devices like this for motorcycles, like the Autocom, or the Chatterbox, which automatically switch off one connection, when the phone is in use, so it'll silence your music, or your helmet to helmet communications, or your GPS device, when you receive a call. So I wouldn't be in any great hurry with the patent or copyright application.. Oh, and yes, they also support Bluetooth (at additional cost!). And they probably wont work for you, as typically, they output using proprietary cables, so you'd need to perform some cutting and splicing....and you'll find it's more expensive than buying a proper head unit.

So, unless there's a cheaper variety available (and car stereos are now a lot cheaper than they used to be) you're out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Patent, that's the one:)

The one you linked to (the chatterbox page didn't load so the other one) seems a bit overkill and even though there isn't a price on the page, I'd assume it's very expensive?

I'd say there is a cheaper, more basic one somewhere. It's not so much head unit either, it would be for anything anywhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I wonder would this do the trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well, it would be a cheap mistake, but no, I don't think it will serve your needs.
    You could hook up your music source, but I don't think you could hook up your phone to it.. It probably also needs to be wired to a battery, so you'd need to solve the power issue as well...

Advertisement