Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1800mhz gsm modem with O2sim

• 26-02-2007 12:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭

I ordered a gsm modem without realizing that though it was triband it was american style triband and not european i.e. 850mhz and 1800mhz as opposed to the normal 900mhz and 1800mhz. Of course it doesn't pick up a network using my o2 simcard, however seeing as the operators here use 1800mhz on their networks I was wondering if there is any way of forcing the modem to pickup an 1800mhz network. Is it down to the sim? This problem is similar to bringing a U.S. triband phone over here. In principal it should default to the 1800mhz cell broadcasts. Anyone shed any light?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Dual band or triband?? you only give 2 bands it works on.
    In the states they use 850 and 1900 (not 1800). Are ya sure its 1800Mhz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

While both 900 and 1800 MHz are used here in Ireland, I've found that in practice, only 900 MHz gets used -- at least in rural areas. So basically, outside of densely populated areas, you'll be incommunicado with no 900 MHz band.

Out of interest, what brand/model is it? Your best bet would probably be to put it back up on eBay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

They are 1900mhz also but I reckon that Urban is right and there is basically very little 1800mhz coverage. I bought them from expansys so I should be able to return them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Its not true about the 1800Mhz being only in urban areas. Just about every area has 1800Mhz. In fact priority is given to 1800 i.e. you will mainly be on 1800, unless for various reasons, you are handed over to 900.
    Where abouts on the country are you?

Advertisement