Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fat boy may be put in care

• 26-02-2007 3:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

An eight-year-old boy who weighs 14 stone, more than three times the average for his age, may be taken into care if his mother fails to improve his diet.

Connor McCreaddie, from Wallsend, near Newcastle upon Tyne, has broken four beds and five bicycles. The family claims to have a history of intolerance to fruit or vegetables.

LINK

Hard to imagine an 8 year old weighing almost 200 lbs. That last quoted sentence is priceless though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

"Hi, I'm fat boy from times online & my mommie/daddie is a big fat fool" :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The family needs a hard kick up the arse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Frightfully neglegent parenting.

It's basically child abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Mother/primary carer is definitely at fault here. Feeding him sh!te every 20 minutes. He's only 8. Just say no! (When he asks for more rubbish - I'll bet he's never heard that word)

Maybe this thread should be in Parenting? Might get more feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

third comment: "who is to say a child is overweight anyway, maybe some people are genetically predisposed..." :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    14 stone. I'm only 11 stone. It's hard to think really just how overweight he is.
    Less sugar, less tv, more exercise...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I saw that in a magazine a while back. His Ma is real council flat scum. Was a teen mother and single parent. Was saying how since aged 2/3 the kid would scream for junk food. So ridiculous. I hate parents that can't say no. Besides, a kid that young shouldn't even know what junk food is unless he was given it.

She has to home school him cos he's too fat to walk the 5 min to school. AND they actually have a nurse that comes round to them. Paid for by tax payers. Fukn useless wasters. The kid has acne ffs! He's 8!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

He's got bigger titties than my girlfriend, more chins than a chinese phonebook and more rolls than a bakery......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Let the kid die. It'll be one less fat git in the world.
    If the boys parents don't care, why should we.

Dave, london, england

Haha best comment of the lot. Made me lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Its disgusting.

I blame my own weight on my childhood: my mom had to work all the time; my grandmother was a narcoleptic chain smoker and that left me alone to the kitchen....god, I came up with some recipes...never to be repeated. F*k peanut butter :p if I only knew then what I knew now...

Anyway this is turning to madness: the bulls*t these parents throw out "I can't take the screaming" so in all fairness, slap them good and firmly (erm, both of them; the parent and child). We aren't talking abusively here; any kid with a moderate level of intelligence will catch on quickly not to whinge for more food. The habits should have never caught on to begin with.

Childhood obesity has its roots in low standards of education imho: parents who don't know how to feed their kids properly and how to discipline. I don't pretend to know how is best to do it, but its starting to get pretty bad over here..

watching little scumbag kids rolling around...its now that much easier to tell a kn*k apart from a scumbag: the scumbag will be a blimp, the kn*k will be the one kicking the s*t out of the blimp :)

To be fair: we all sit around the discussion table and laugh at America's "Obesity Epidemic" and then we fail miserably at stopping it ourselves...what the hell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Ruu wrote:
    The family needs a hard kick up the arse!

QFT.

The family should be ashamed of themselves for letting the young lad become that big - FFS, he is almost 3 times hevaier that what he should be.

Great to see that they are taking an "active" role in the child's development :rolleyes:

I weighed my four youngest today.

Results:

Girl aged 7: 3 st 13 lbs
    G 9: 4-12
    B 11: 5-9
    B 13: 7-7

Add up the three youngest: 14 st 6 lbs, and that's fully clothed! Of course when I'm in the supermarket with the kids they don't even ask for sweets (because they know the answer already).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Yes it's terrible that he is neglected like that. Maby he has an overactive thoryoid gland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Slow coach wrote:
    I weighed my four youngest today.

Results:

Girl aged 7: 3 st 13 lbs
    G 9: 4-12
    B 11: 5-9
    B 13: 7-7

Add up the three youngest: 14 st 6 lbs, and that's fully clothed! Of course when I'm in the supermarket with the kids they don't even ask for sweets (because they know the answer already).

Your 13 year old Boy is only 7 st 7lbs??!!!

Piste wrote:

He eats too much! I was 7-7 at age 15! Light build, you see. He runs, too, so he's carrying a bit too much puppy fat. Either that or he could be taller. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

i know 17 year olds who are 6 foot and 14 stone, theyd be considered kinda fat this is just horrific, does anyone have a picture of this kid ?

do we WANT a picture of this kid??

just do a google image search for obese children...*shudder*

edit: theres another article, and another picture of the same kid here:

Guardian - 2/20/07

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Only one man can save him now...

A king amongst men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Who feeds obese people who can't move ,where does the money come from.

Why not feed them expanding foam and let them float into space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I honestly think the mother should be serving jail time for allowing any human being, through her own fault, to get into such a sad state. Negligence of the highest order.

The kid is 8, he didn't pile on those 8 odd stone in a few months by sneaking through the presses and eating the odd snack here and there, the mother has to be feeding him **** on an ongoing basis. At least with adult obesity, they pretty much have no-one to blame but themselves. But at the age of 8...

At 14st, he is 2 stone heavier then I am, which quite frankly, can only be summarized as both repulsive and disgusting.

And the intolerance to fruit and veg is hilarious. So, lets assume in some alternate situation where this is actually true. So ****in what? Or do these people believe that Fruit has the mysterious property of weight reduction when consumed....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Slow coach wrote:
    He eats too much! I was 7-7 at age 15! Light build, you see. He runs, too, so he's carrying a bit too much puppy fat. Either that or he could be taller. :D

Fat?! 7 stone is really light for a 13 year old boy, that's why I was shocked!

Piste wrote:
    Fat?! 7 stone is really light for a 13 year old boy, that's why I was shocked!

Have a look at a centile chart: http://www.ibabydoc.com/online/growboys4.asp

If you can make it out (it's a bit unclear), 98 lbs or 7 st is exactly on the 50th centile for 13 year-old boys. And my boy is 105lbs.

'make it out'....Stones are hardly an accurate measurement of weight/mass.

If anything we should all be using Metric Kilograms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

What the hell kind of diet was he on anyway? They probably ordered chips, pizza's, burgers most nights from the look of him. I felt sorry for the kid when i saw him on the news. At his age he should be out with his friends playing football and enjoying himself, not sitting on the sofa watching t.v.
    His mother should be ashamed of herself.

Overheal wrote:
    'make it out'....Stones are hardly an accurate measurement of weight/mass.

If anything we should all be using Metric Kilograms.

Is there any other type? There is a metric scale on the centile chart, anyway. You don't have to have a degree in Maths to convert, either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Leave him alone.
    He's one of them there yankees.
    for a very rough estimate, multiply stones by 7.
    0.454 Kg in 1lb.
    The kid weighs 89Kg.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Piste wrote:
    ahh hell im nearly 23 (2weeks to be exact) and im 8st 9lbs...but anyway...

feel sickened by this, childs most fun years are ruined by the fact he's too big to move. this annoys me seriously.. and yes i agree bad parenting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Multiplying stones by 6 would be more accurate Terry.

As mentioned, the parents are the only ones to blame for that kids health & weight.

Overheal: Without sounding picky, you say you have your parents to blame for your own obesity. Can you not make your own decisions now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

I'm nearly 24 and that kid weighs nearly twice as much as I do! Remember my sisters watching a chat show with kids like this in the US, some of them were still in nappies and yet weighed as much as me!:eek:

I think this is an example of the modern problem of parents not giving a toss about their kids and what they get up to just as long as they are not bugging the parents.
    Think about all the scumbags who's parents just weren't arsed with disciplining them and so they now feel that they can do whatever they want.
    Teachers are the ones I feel really sorry for since it used to be the case that a note home and meeting with the parents would sort any issue, now it's a case of the parents just whinging about having to take the time to see the teacher and then doing sweet F all about whatever the teacher had called them in to talk about.

• Advertisement

splinter wrote:
    ahh hell im nearly 23 (2weeks to be exact) and im 8st 9lbs...but anyway...
    farohar wrote:
    I'm nearly 24 and that kid weighs nearly twice as much as I do!

I seriously hope at those weights, you're both female!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

farohar wrote:
    I'm nearly 24 and that kid weighs nearly twice as much as I do! Remember my sisters watching a chat show with kids like this in the US, some of them were still in nappies and yet weighed as much as me!:eek:

You're 24 and you weigh around 7 stone? That's just not healthy :eek: .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

That was on the French news last night on TV5. That child was massive! You could see him jumping (or "attempting to") on a trampoline outside his house. He jumped twice then collapsed head first, exhausted... He should be taken away from his useless, careless "mother" (if we can call her that)...

HavoK wrote:
    Or amputees...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

HavoK wrote:
    *checks*

nope, all male, but completely healthy and fit, ahh my weights fluctuates (sp) between 8st5 and 9st 4 pretty regularly, yes healthy diet, no, dont smoke, do drink, but not to excess, no drug use. anywho...

bah the more i read about this kid the sicker i feel...

splinter wrote:
    *checks*

nope, all male, but completely healthy and fit, ahh my weights fluctuates (sp) between 8st5 and 9st 4 pretty regularly, yes healthy diet, no, dont smoke, do drink, but not to excess, no drug use. anywho...

bah the more i read about this kid the sicker i feel...
    You guys must be really small... I'm 6ft and 18st. Wouldn't mind losing a stone or two but that's it! I'd look sick and frail otherwise (and I need the weight for rugby - garnted though; not all of it...)

• Advertisement

HavoK wrote:
    Why? Don't women naturally retain more fat than men...?
    Or is that some myth?
    I'm happy at my 11st... kinda...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

bluewolf wrote:
    Why? Don't women naturally retain more fat than men...?
    Or is that some myth?
    I'm happy at my 11st... kinda...

Muscle weighs more than fat and men generally have lower body fat ratios and higher muscle than women do.

Overheal wrote:
    do we WANT a picture of this kid??

just do a google image search for obese children...*shudder*

edit: theres another article, and another picture of the same kid here:

Guardian - 2/20/07

The child actually looks proud to be showing off his enormous belly in that picture!!

The poor child I actually feel sorry for him. Even if social services take him away and slim him down to what he should be he'll still have all those disgusting rolls of loose skin. Yuck!

Also, his mother is home schooling him because he can't walk to school. God help him.....he has no chance! She doesn't sound like the kind of person who'd manage to teach him anything at all! I wonder what their daily schoolinh routine is?
    0900 open copy book....0915 tea & choc biccies.....1000 open reading book......1015 early elevenses........1050 open copy book....1100 elevenses..................................

Has anyone seen a picture of the mother? What does she look like herself? Fat?

The allergy to fruit and veg is comical alright. I bet that on the one or two occasions they actually tried any the fibre got to work and they suffered a good internal clearout. Bit of a shock to their systems after years of the constipation they're bound to have!!!

HavoK wrote:
    Nope, a 5 foot 6 male.
    I weigh about 8 stone (I said "nearly" faith).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

People, that boy may be grossly overweight, but he's not as bad as some people... Try picture this: 7 years old, girl, 400LBS!

http://www.flicklife.com/02887dfbe55ebb2b64ba/7_Year_Old_Jessica_weighs_400_Pounds.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

jebus

Mear wrote:
    Overheal: Without sounding picky, you say you have your parents to blame for your own obesity. Can you not make your own decisions now?

Who ever said I was [still] obese? Assumptions are the mother of all ****ups, dear. :cool:

Besides that I was establishing that I couldn't blame them: a divorced mother of 4 and a dependant grandmother... can't be expected to have eyes everywhere.. I operated myself for a couple summers between 6 and 9.

..point being there are likely some true cases of circumstance out there.

This kid however is neglected; a mother that gives in to the whining.

Ah now... it's not fair to go outside the species to top the poor fat lad....;)

OctavarIan wrote:
    People, that boy may be grossly overweight, but he's not as bad as some people... Try picture this: 7 years old, girl, 400LBS!

http://www.flicklife.com/02887dfbe55ebb2b64ba/7_Year_Old_Jessica_weighs_400_Pounds.html

Yep, he is in much better shape. At least he can walk to school and to the park for some exercise, eh? :rolleyes:

Excuse my sarcasm, but they are both dying. One is dying faster, but they are both dying.

OctavarIan wrote:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

OctavarIan wrote:

That's disturbing, how awful

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Slow coach wrote:
    Yep, he is in much better shape. At least he can walk to school and to the park for some exercise, eh? :rolleyes:

Excuse my sarcasm, but they are both dying. One is dying faster, but they are both dying.

No he can't. That's why his mother is home-schooling him, the lucky boy. :rolleyes:

dame wrote:
    No he can't. That's why his mother is home-schooling him, the lucky boy. :rolleyes:

"Now, today's lesson is all about nutrition, Connor..." :eek:

Advertisement