Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another "which car" thread

Options
  • 26-02-2007 8:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi,

Just back in Ieland after living abroad for a few years. I'm looking to get a car very soon. Have a budget of approx 25k and want to get something that is very roomy (I'm a big guy) and comfortable. Also, automatic transmision would be preferred. Will be doing mainly city driving with the odd motorway foray down the country.
    My last car was a 98 Merc E200. Not the sportiest of motors but I really did like the room and comfort - looking for someting different this time though.

Don't want to buy new but don't want anything too old either (i.e. older than '03). Have been considering 5-series (hard to get 03 one for that money, I know), Mondeo, Avensis, A4/6 etc. Any obvious contenders I have missed?

Any thoughts?

One car I have test-driven is a '06 Avensis (less than 12000 miles, Luna spec, 1.8 petrol and automatic transmission). I liked it but am unsure if the price is good. Sticker price was 28k and dealer has already reduced to 26k but I think could go lower (25k really is my limit). Is this a good deal? I will be paying all in cash - no trade-in.

thanks,

Al

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

alter200 wrote:
    Hi,

Just back in Ieland after living abroad for a few years. I'm looking to get a car very soon. Have a budget of approx 25k and want to get something that is very roomy (I'm a big guy) and comfortable. Also, automatic transmision would be preferred. Will be doing mainly city driving with the odd motorway foray down the country.
    My last car was a 98 Merc E200. Not the sportiest of motors but I really did like the room and comfort - looking for someting different this time though.

Don't want to buy new but don't want anything too old either (i.e. older than '03). Have been considering 5-series (hard to get 03 one for that money, I know), Mondeo, Avensis, A4/6 etc. Any obvious contenders I have missed?

Any thoughts?

One car I have test-driven is a '06 Avensis (less than 12000 miles, Luna spec, 1.8 petrol and automatic transmission). I liked it but am unsure if the price is good. Sticker price was 28k and dealer has already reduced to 26k but I think could go lower (25k really is my limit). Is this a good deal? I will be paying all in cash - no trade-in.

thanks,

Al

Its a pity you didn't buy before you came home and brought the car with you, that way you could have avoided the VRT here, anyway assuming engine size isn't a problem tax wise, a 2003 older model 5 series 530d would be a good choice and under 25K at this stage, the newer one would well over 25K.

other cars to choose from would be:
    MERC S-Class (older model and probably older than 2003)
    Audi A8 or A6 (same as above)

My advise would be to look into the VRT "situtation" before you cut ties with the country you were in, it might be worth it in the long run.

And buy your car in the UK (after you've check out the market here first)

Info on VRT:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/moving-country/moving-to-ireland/practical-issues-when-travelling-to-ireland/importing_car_into_ireland

irish car websites:
    www.carzone.ie

UK car websites:

www.autotrader.co.uk
    www.ebay.co.uk
    www.cargiant.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I started a similar thread last week. My criteria were similar to yours, but my budget was much lower (€10K). You still may get some ideas from the thread though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭alter200

thanls for the info guys - more food for thought

anyone got any thoughts on the avensis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Once again....SKoda Octavia VRS is the dogs I'd advise you to test drive one it's well worth a look and far better than the Avensis
    The company I work for had 15 Avensis' on fleet last year and not one of the reps had anything good to say about them so much so the company changed to Passats this year but if I had my way they'd be Skodas!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As the owner of a 2003 current model Avensis 1.8 Luna manual since new with now just over 130k miles on the clock I cannot fault the car, it has never let me down once. It is roomy, comfortable on long journeys, 5 start Euro NCAP safety, well kitted out, fairly economical for a car of it's size and has good resale value come selling on time. Cannot comment on the auto version as I have never driven it.

Definately ticked all of the boxes for me and my family when I was buying so it really depends on what you want from a car. Some here will tell it's boring to look at and drive, etc but looks are subjective and I don't throw it around bends at 90mph to see how good it handles, it's not designed for that but at the same time the handling is quite tidy if a bit uninvolving.

As for the comment about the Octavia vRS being better than an Avensis. Well thats like comparing a vRS to an M3. :rolleyes: Pointless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement