Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista upgrade

• 26-02-2007 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭

Vista ultimate upgrade is only 109euro on komplett ... just wondering what u need to be able to upgrade. I'm currently have xp media centre, can i upgrade this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

I am pretty sure this is an upgrade from another version of Vista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

price just changed to 333euro ! must have been a mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I am pretty sure this is an upgrade from another version of Vista.
    Nope. All Vista upgrades are for upgrading from XP. Upgrading to a higher version of Vista is done through the "Upgrade Anytime" feature within Vista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

Apparently there is a loophole in the upgrade packs of Vista and you can install "Upgrade pack of Vista" onto a blank disc. Do NOT enter serial. Then go back and install it again, this time as an upgrade and entering the serial. So you actually upgrading Vista, with the upgrade pack. Don't have link for this handy but it's out there.

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Vista upgrade can be used for XP or any lower version of Vista you might have as well.
    The cheapest way to get Vista is through OEM, with a new PC.
    OEM version only can not be bought directly by end users, this is for system integrators only.

• Advertisement

mick.fr wrote:
    Vista upgrade can be used for XP or any lower version of Vista you might have as well.
    The cheapest way to get Vista is through OEM, with a new PC.
    OEM version only can not be bought directly by end users, this is for system integrators only.
    End users can buy OEM versions of Vista. They just need to be aware that they won't receive support from Microsoft (except the normal updates) or from the retailer.

kaizersoze wrote:
    End users can buy OEM versions of Vista. They just need to be aware that they won't receive support from Microsoft (except the normal updates) or from the retailer.

No I am sorry this is not true. This is not allowed by Microsoft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

mick.fr wrote:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2087792,00.asp
    A Microsoft representative confirmed that users may buy an OEM copy of Windows Vista at a substantial discount, provided they adhere to the terms of the license – which, incidentally, may mean providing support for family members.

In addition, users should still be subject to the same familiar re-activation restrictions as users of a retail Vista license and Windows XP, a spokeswoman said. Users can alter the PC's hardware substantially, but they will be forced to reactivate – not repurchase the OEM software – if they do, she said.

One system builder pointed out, however, that Microsoft's OEM license forbids the software from being transferred to a whole new machine, from scratch, once it is installed on the original target machine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dohouch wrote:
    Apparently there is a loophole in the upgrade packs of Vista and you can install "Upgrade pack of Vista" onto a blank disc. Do NOT enter serial. Then go back and install it again, this time as an upgrade and entering the serial. So you actually upgrading Vista, with the upgrade pack. Don't have link for this handy but it's out there.
    It's not handy - it's against the EULA.

Yeah that's exactly what I have said.

"End Users are allow to buy OEM we a new PC only"
    the article say "provided they adhere to the terms of the license"

• Advertisement

Anyway Aidan, the article is right in the sense MS is quiet permissive with this, even if the license stipulates otherwise.
    I remember that was already the case with Windows XP which was also sold over 450 euro

mick.fr wrote:
    Yeah that's exactly what I have said.

"End Users are allow to buy OEM we a new PC only"
    the article say "provided they adhere to the terms of the license"
    I'm afraid thats not "exactly what you said" mick, this is....
    mick.fr wrote:
    mick.fr wrote:
    ....which is contradicted by the article. There are no restrictions like "can only be purchased with a new pc/hardware" from any of the online retailers so there is nothing to stop an end user purchasing it on it's own.
    I would assume that the retailers are doing this with the consent of MS or the wouldn't be doing it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mick.fr wrote:
    Anyway Aidan, the article is right in the sense MS is quiet permissive with this, even if the license stipulates otherwise.
    I remember that was already the case with Windows XP which was also sold over 450 euro
    do you mean the software is quite permissive or the company ?
    If the former then remember microsoft software has a very long history of software that has been very easy to casually copy, and yet they still want their money after a BSA audit of a company.
    If the latter then please provide a link from their site confirming this.

Advertisement