Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sleep Talking

• 26-02-2007 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

So, I have been told a number of times that I talk in my sleep, and sometimes I wonder if this is going to get me into trouble some day!

What are people's opinions on sleep talking?
    Is it merely us responding out loud in our dreams, is it our subconscious taking over, or is it something else entirely???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I do that too.
    Apparently I also snore really loudly.
    I'd love to get a recording of what I'm saying.

You shouldn't really get in trouble for what you dream. You can't really control it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

bragan wrote:
    So, I have been told a number of times that I talk in my sleep, and sometimes I wonder if this is going to get me into trouble some day!

What are people's opinions on sleep talking?
    Is it merely us responding out loud in our dreams, is it our subconscious taking over, or is it something else entirely???

Could be anything tbh. I had a g/friend once who woke me upo while grinding her teeth and saying it "needs more salt". turns out she was dreaming about making a stew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

I walk and talk in my sleep and have done forever. When I get stressed about something the walking and talking gets worse and there was one time ( I think it was the year I was doing my Leaving) that I left the house in my pjs, had school bag over my shoulder, shoes on and was at the end of the driveway when my mum had to bring me back to the house. I've had showers, washed and dried my hair and all other kinds of crazy stuff all while asleep:o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Not sure I ever talked, but I screamed and woke up my flatmate once.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

When I was with my ex I used to talk all the time & often laugh in my sleep too... I don't think I do since we split up.. maybe I don't feel the need to be a conversationalist at night now that I'm on my own.
    Come to think of it, I used to have awful nightmares when he was around too, Used to wake up terrified, often yelping for help.. that's all stopped too........hmmmm... It says it all!!! :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Both me and the girlfriend do this.

I've said a few womens names in my sleep according to her, although I dont know anyone by the names at all ? She just found it amusing.

Herself woke me up one night, she just roars out my name, leapt up out of the bed thought there was a f*cking fire or something. Looked back down and she was still asleep. The next morning she told me she'd dreamt she'd had an arguement with her brother, myself and her brother have the same name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

i talk alot in my sleep, and i wake myslef up somethimes and realise what i had just done and i hope my boyfriend didnt hear me..one night it was "look at ALL the SWEETS!!"

Femmy wrote:
    i talk alot in my sleep, and i wake myslef up somethimes and realise what i had just done and i hope my boyfriend didnt hear me..one night it was "look at ALL the SWEETS!!"
    I hear ya girl! Sweets.... mmmmmmm yum yum yummie!
    :D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I tend to do it if I'm dozing off then wake up abruptly, like I might be mid sentence in a dream then wake up and say the next word.

I've notice it happen more frequently when I've something on my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

i talk in my sleep just mumbling nonsence i also sing appearntly ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I've screamed waking up before...all I remember it was one of those really frustrating argument-ish nightmares..

Another time (which I blame on a drunken blackout, but was obviously sleep related) I walked right out of my apartment without clothes or keys. that was a long morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

We actually have a sleeping&Dreaming forum under Rec. You might find more comprehensive answers there.

My brother sleep-talks. His best moment was shouting "Maguire ye knacker".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

c - 13 wrote:
    I've said a few womens names in my sleep according to her, although I dont know anyone by the names at all ? She just found it amusing.
    "Now we will share what really happened...," Blue whispers.

*CLICK* Replays NSA (No Such Agency) digital tape recorder, courtesy of Bush's Department of Homeland Insecurity, charged with investigating all Irish mods to see if they are dreaming and talking in their sleep about the missing Iraq WMDs (Bush cannot seem to find them anywhere).

"Ohhhhh yes! Ohhhhh yes!" c-13 cries out in his sleep.

"Huh, dear?" g/f on pillow beside him mumbles. Rolls over and faces c-13.

"Heh heh heeeeeeh Backtoblack! That tickles!" c-13 laughs with eyes rolling under lids.

"Who?" now awake, with shocked face, g/f leans over to listen closely.

"Whoooooo yooooouuuu... Lust4Life?" c-13 laughs. "Hey! There's room for all three of us!"

WACK! WACK! WACK! g/f hits c-13 using the novel she had fallen asleep with earlier.

"Huh? Huh? Why did you hit me?" c-13 complains, now awake, rubbing his head where it hurt.

"You were saying names in your sleep!" she pouts with arms crossed. "I think they were girl's nicknames!"

"Oh come on dear, what names?" c-13 continues to rub his head.

"Something about Lusty and getting Back to Black," she puffs.

"Gosh!" c-13 proclaims. "It was just a dream! Not real!" Takes a deep breath and nods his head. "I don't even know the names of these girls that I mod on boards."

She hands c-13 a blanket and tosses a pillow at him. "You can sleep on the couch!"

*CLICK* (End of recording)

"Now boardies," Blue whispers. "You have heard the real story without the mod spin. But it's Top Secret, and if you tell anyone where you got it, I will have to.... !" :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

How did you know ! :eek:

awwwww blue gurrrll! Thanks for the special mention. :D
    (even if you are hooking me up with some other random guy) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Have you ever dreamed of drowining someone by holding their head underwater, and then having sore arms in the morning?

...I may need help.

Overheal wrote:
    Have you ever dreamed of drowining someone by holding their head underwater, and then having sore arms in the morning?

...I may need help.
    Any drowning incidents in the news of late seem a little too familiar for comfort to you?
    :confused::confused: Find any fish flapping about in your room in the mornings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Talk in my sleep often. I don't feel very secure right now in my new house even though it is in a quiet neighbourhood. I've been told I'm always asking if the doors are locked, alarm set, etc. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭exCrumlinBoyo

Did you ever dream that you’re on O’Connell Street dying to relive yourself and when you do there is nothing to wipe yourself with and everyone is watching…. What do you think that means maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Overheal wrote:

...I may need help.

I normally feel like that about the boss. Wouldn't worry about it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'm terrible for talking in my sleep too. My boyfriend is just as bad. I think we talk to each other in our sleep.

We have regular conversations where we ring each other up in work and tell each other what we said the night before. They really are hilarious.

The worst thing he ever did was keep saying "tiny tiny baby" in a really cute voice over and over again. i still slag him about it!

I love sleep talking. it makes life more interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i used to sleeptalk all the time. called a girl a prick tease while sleeping one time. she just happened to be in the same room. haha

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sansebastian

Threw a mattress out the bedroom door years ago. What amazed me was my friend who was in the other bed a foot away (was in a caravan in Kilkee) didn't wake up.

On a holiday in Turkey a few years back my mother woke me up as I was sleepwalking down the steps outside the apartment in the middle of the night. Luckily she heard me going out the door 'cause who knows where I'd have ended up.

Haven't done anything like that recently that I can remember thankfully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I rarely sleep talk. However, I did on Saturday and I'd prefer not to know what I said tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

i was tried to go fishing in nothing but my boxers and runners on night :p

luckily my mother found me before i got out of the house :D

Advertisement