Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What New Car???

Options
  • 26-02-2007 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi All,

I was looking for some input/opinions before buying a new car.

Currently looking at a new Hyundai Coupe: approx €30,000.

If you had a budget of €30000 what car would you go for?

Looking at something sporty, around 2 litre

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

CarrickD wrote:
    Hi All,

I was looking for some input/opinions before buying a new car.

Currently looking at a new Hyundai Coupe: approx €30,000.

If you had a budget of €30000 what car would you go for?

Looking at something sporty, around 2 litre

Oh my god with that money you are going for a hyundai:eek:

Go for something like golf gti,a3,bmw 3 series, the list is endless for that much money.

Anyway good luck with your purchase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

nothing wrong with a Hyundai Coupe, tidy little car

this would be my choice:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=545459

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

siralfalot wrote:

this would be my choice:

And what would you suggest if CarrickD wanted to keep his car out of a ditch for longer than 2 kms? :p

CarrickD,

I'm guessing it's a new car or nothing going by your own suggestion. Would you consider dropping a year or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I used to have a Hyundai Coupe (2002) - one of the first of the new models. Was very impressive - loved the gearbox and pokey enough (even tho it was only the 1.6ltr) On the downside there were a few niggly rattles and the back seats were just for amputees. I saw a black 2007 model (2nd facelift of the new model I think) the other day and it looked very nice. I still feel there are probably better options there for 30k tho. My choice would be a second hand GTI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

so many cars to choose from for 30K:

heres one
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=573540

maybe a bmw 3 series coupe maybe a 320ci

Hyundai Coupe is also a nice car and would be on my list also.

what about a Mazda RX8? or an Audi "Tity":)

heres an interesting BMW Z4, might want to learn a few words of polish when a garda stops you though:D :D:D

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=573078

• Advertisement

Mc-BigE wrote:

heres an interesting BMW Z4, might want to learn a few words of polish when a garda stops you though:D :D:D

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=573078

Even with VRT that’s a fantastic price – are we suggesting some Pole popped into his local shop in Warsaw and left his/her car running?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

siralfalot wrote:

this would be my choice:
    If the OP really wants a new sports car (as opposed to a sporty-looking car) for €30k, then I can't think of anything better than the Clio either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The car is just under €30k new in Germania, so it's a little pricey for €25k and 2 years old. Why anyone would drive such a car over here and then sell it is beyond me.

http://www.bmw.com/generic/de/de/products/automobiles/download/pdf/Z4_RO_pricelist.pdf

Anan1 wrote:
    If the OP really wants a new sports car (as opposed to a sporty-looking car) for €30k, then I can't think of anything better than the Clio either.

Surely the Clio its a Hot Hatchback, not a sports car? just like the Golf GTI?

(don't get me wrong, the golf GTI is a great car,not sure about the clio, never driven one, but is it a sports car?)

smcgiff wrote:
    Even with VRT that’s a fantastic price – are we suggesting some Pole popped into his local shop in Warsaw and left his/her car running?
    Not sure about that, but its only a matter of time before some Polish entrepreneur opens up a garage selling polish registered cars in Ireland, and at that price, I would do a night course in Polish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Mc-BigE wrote:
    Surely the Clio its a Hot Hatchback, not a sports car? just like the Golf GTI?

(don't get me wrong, the golf GTI is a great car,not sure about the clio, never driven one, but is it a sports car?)
    I would certainly classify the Clio as a sports car, perhaps less so the Golf GTI, and certainly not the Hyundai coupé. For me, a sports car is a car that has been optimised for hard driving. Some hot hatches fall into this category, but more used to. A 205GTI 1.9, for example, is to my mind more of a sports car than a Mk5 Golf GTI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

smcgiff wrote:
    And what would you suggest if CarrickD wanted to keep his car out of a ditch for longer than 2 kms? :p

I dunno, driving lessons?:rolleyes:

siralfalot wrote:

this would be my choice:

I said theres nothing wrong but all im saying is theres loads of choice :)

smcgiff wrote:

Wha would the vrt be for this car.Would it be cheaper han normal as its a left hand drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 CarrickD

smcgiff wrote:

CarrickD,

I'm guessing it's a new car or nothing going by your own suggestion. Would you consider dropping a year or two?

Was only thinking about a new car but after reading some of the suggestions I'm reconsidering this.

Thanks for all the posts, loads to think abou

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

Anan1 wrote:
    I would certainly classify the Clio as a sports car, perhaps less so the Golf GTI, and certainly not the Hyundai coupé. For me, a sports car is a car that has been optimised for hard driving. Some hot hatches fall into this category, but more used to. A 205GTI 1.9, for example, is to my mind more of a sports car than a Mk5 Golf GTI.

have you driven the GTI, what would your reason for not thinking it could be driven hard?

I am a little touchy about this one as I have just placed my order for a new GTI !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

whippet wrote:
    have you driven the GTI, what would your reason for not thinking it could be driven hard?

I am a little touchy about this one as I have just placed my order for a new GTI !!
    I am not a VW GTI *fan* either.

However, its your money and your choice so no need to be touchy about it dude. So best of luck with, and keep a close eye on it, they tend to walk ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

smcgiff wrote:
    One of the lads in work gave me the address on the Ukrainian equivalent of AutoTrader and the price of some cars in unbelievable. 05 Hummer H2 for the equivalent of €25k, some cheap Porsches. Not too sure of the address, will try get it again and post it.

drdre wrote:
    Wha would the vrt be for this car.Would it be cheaper han normal as its a left hand drive?

VRT - €10,425. Revenue valued the car at €34,753.

The advertised Z4 new would be slightly more than €50k. So, it still seems an okay deal price wise, although not as good as I’d thought.

• Advertisement

whippet wrote:

GTI all the way.They are so call in all aspects except price :)
    My friend has a candy white gti remapped to over 250 bhp and it sounds so cool.The power is amazing.
    What colour and interior are you getting.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

OP said "new car".

You can't buy a GTI for €30k, but a board favourite, the Skoda Octavia RS can easily be had for that kind of money.

I've yet to drive one btw.

whippet wrote:
    That's not what I said.

I am a little touchy about this one as I have just placed my order for a new GTI !![/QUOTE]Don't be, the Golf is a very good car in its own right. Most people don't want the compromises inherent in a true sports car and, to be honest, I can completely see their point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

its all a matter of personal taste really.

by the time you spec up the GTI your well above 30K ! The GT may be an option, but personally I didn't like it.

Mine is black with the black leather, I went for the 18" wheels in the wind up, the 17"s just don't look the part really ... and of course the DSG auto gear box !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Clio 197 is a very good suggestion by Anan1. 31.5-32k list price and with discounts you should easily get one for your budget.
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=554710

Forget about getting a new Golf GTi for your budget. It is several thousand dearer than the Clio.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

you went for the 18"s in the end Whippet? Great choice!
    Just an hour ago I sat into my one - just off the transporter. Despite being very mucky, it looked greeeeaaat!! Picking it up later in week.
    Did you order the multi-function computer? Having just seen it in mine, it makes a great job of the dash, well worth the 80 odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Dude the RX8 is streets ahead trust me test drive one the Hyundai will look like a Noddy car afterwards - and you gotta love those Suicide Doors - and the Wankel engine!! I do love the Octavia VRS too though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

eamon234 wrote:
    Dude the RX8 is streets ahead trust me test drive one the Hyundai will look like a Noddy car afterwards - and you gotta love those Suicide Doors - and the Wankel engine!! I do love the Octavia VRS too though
    True, the RX8 is a fantastic car. It does need someone to care about it though. Need to bring it to operating temp on each trip and can use some oil, but if you're prepared to look after it, there isn't too much in the price range to beat it. You'd be looking at a 05 one for that money.

• Advertisement

Personaly I think Hyundai Coupes are just flashy cars. I would go for something like the rx8 that has performance to back up the coupe look.

Advertisement