Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards needs a proper chatroom

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

If you want to defame me, I'd like to see some evidence first.
    DublinWriter banned for defamation.

Defamation includes unfairly accusing someone else of defamation.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Gawd another badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

cormie wrote:
    It works so that anyone who signs up to the site can enter using ONLY the account they signed up with, so if your saskia on the forum, your saskia in the chat room. If your IP is banned, you can't log in
    Woops! That looks like it might actually be a constructive post, cormie. You must be new to Feedback?

I think something like that could be good though. With access limited to registered and signed-in Boards.ie users, surely that would curtail most of the mayhem?

Could be subscriber-only if you want to be extra careful.

And I'd say a chat page integrated into the site would look, feel and work better than needing to download an IRC client and connect to QuakeNet.

Worth considering, I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

How about make it like the soccer forum and to gain access you need 1000 posts and you posts to be reviewed so that u cant spam ur way to 1000 (or is 1000 unrealistic)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

1,000 is far too many. I'd even think 100 would be too many.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Im not too sure it doesnt take too long to build up 100 posts(unless your on dial-up). I would say there is a good 3000 members of boards with 500+posts So make it 500, but the question is would it be worthwhile for cloud and the crew

EDIT: Just look at this post only 3 people with less than a 1000 me the op and pope

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Does boards.ie need a chatroom? Absolutely not. There is the facility to add your Messenger/Yahoo/ICQ/whatever's flavour of the month details to your profile if you want people to talk to. Boards is all about community (we just had the #boards beers for the IRC channel users the other night, 40 odd attendees), find a board that's relevant to your interests (cue that cat picture) and join in. You'll get to know the people there and where they hang out online (be it IRC or a messenger thing).

It's really not even worth entertaining any further discussion about moderating it based on post count or anything like that, it can't be moderated and remain a chatroom in the real sense of the word. If boards sticks a link up for an applet to join an IRC channel (which they used to do before) and a minor wanders in only to click a link that resulted in their needing psychotherapy, boards could be held accountable.

In short, I think it's a nice idea, but un-necessary and not realistically possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Saskia

cormie wrote:

It works so that anyone who signs up to the site can enter using ONLY the account they signed up with, so if your saskia on the forum, your saskia in the chat room. If your IP is banned, you can't log in, and everything so it's pretty much as safe as the forum. It's pretty customisable, even the colours and layouts and what users are and aren't allowed do.

Thats what we should try. If you're logged in as Cormie or Goodshape or Saskia or whatever they you have to automatically be logged into the chatroom as the same. If you act the fool they give you get a warning, do it again and your username is site banned from both Boards and the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Goodshape wrote:
    Woops! That looks like it might actually be a constructive post, cormie. You must be new to Feedback?

I think something like that could be good though. With access limited to registered and signed-in Boards.ie users, surely that would curtail most of the mayhem?

Could be subscriber-only if you want to be extra careful.

And I'd say a chat page integrated into the site would look, feel and work better than needing to download an IRC client and connect to QuakeNet.

Worth considering, I say.

If it was tied into your boards.ie user account it would limit alot of crap alright. While there alot of work from moderators required to keep boards ticking over, alot of this effort is put into giving eijits a clip around the ear and most of it is fairly harmless. The same would probably transfer to a chat room and any major misbehaving would be quickly pointed out by someone or spotted by a moderator.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We turned away from IRC simply because the admins were not personally happy to stand over the abuse and offensiveness that was going on and which was being linked to our site. Trojans, goat.se, abuse and conflict was far outweighing any benefit and it was a nightmare to manage.

Its possible that there are alternatives and management tools that might allieviate these problems but to be honest, I cant fault what Kharn said.
    I dont see it as a community building tool per se and its not post moderatable realistically.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

But Tom, if boards.ie hasn't got a chatroom, where are the newbies of today going to have their cybersex, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

they should go to a boards beer, and i will have sex with them...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Don't forgot to wash your cock first

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Is it time for the cats yet?

But Tom, if boards.ie hasn't got a chatroom, where are the newbies of today going to have their cybersex, eh?
    they should go to a boards beer, and i will have sex with them...
    Don't forgot to wash your cock first

Ah yes, here comes the Boards Brotherhood. Anytime a suggestion comes up in Feedback it seems to be those zany mods going off topic. If the last 2 comments had been made by anyone else there would be bannings. Double standards?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I never used the chat room when it was here for "chat", but it was handy if you needed a quick answer to a question you had. I don't thinkt it would take away from the community aspect at all as the people who go to it generally just go for a chat. I think you'd still have the same volume of questions, answers and discussion on the site.

Maybe check out the options on that flashchat anyway and see if it suits:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

All of them are just posters on this forum .... not mods.

Anyway the question was answered by DeV so now this thread is a free-for-all.

So have you gotten involved in the Community Spirit of Boards yet Saskia? Will we be seeing you at a Beers?

Use Gabbly if you want to chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Saskia wrote:
    Ah yes, here comes the Boards Brotherhood. Anytime a suggestion comes up in Feedback it seems to be those zany mods going off topic. If the last 2 comments had been made by anyone else there would be bannings. Double standards?

Actually the Admin DeVore (who has replied to your thread reasonably) recently criticised the fact that too many threads are being spoiled by off-topic answers etc.

However I believe that you've had a lot of decent responses to this thead including an Admin response. Basically the response seems to be that in principle it's not a bad idea but it's too difficult to operate and has the potential to cause legal hardship for the site.

If you as the OP can find or suggest a way around this problem then the Admins will probably take a very serious look at your suggestion. It's up to you (or another user with a good idea) now Saskia. The thread appears to have run it's natural course with nothing new added so of course the banter will start (rightly or wrongly) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Saskia wrote:
    Ah yes, here comes the Boards Brotherhood.
    And you said there was no community feel :D

• Advertisement

Crucifix wrote:
    And you said there was no community feel :D

A camarilla of mods yes. A community feel? Erm no.

6th wrote:
    All of them are just posters on this forum .... not mods.

Well done, totally discount her point based on a technicallity..

6th wrote:
    Anyway the question was answered by DeV so now this thread is a free-for-all.

Well done again, twas the perfect oppurtunity to the get tongue wedged up there nicely.
    6th wrote:
    So have you gotten involved in the Community Spirit of Boards yet Saskia? Will we be seeing you at a Beers?

Ah even better, attempt to shut her up by attempting to belittle her..

r3nu4l wrote:
    If you as the OP can find or suggest a way around this problem then the Admins will probably take a very serious look at your suggestion. It's up to you (or another user with a good idea) now Saskia. The thread appears to have run it's natural course with nothing new added so of course the banter will start (rightly or wrongly) :)

Wow, could you be anymore condescending?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Way to contribute to the community feel, j_t_g.

Now you've gone right off-topic yourself Saskia :) Before I was a mod (and believe me on boards.ie I'm a mod in name only!) I felt that boards.ie had a great community feel, that's why I subscribed!

Sure, there's users and Mods that I can't stand to read posts from but I'm sure plenty of users and mods hate reading my posts too ;)

I've received plenty of stick for one of my Feedback posts but the thing is not to take it personally. Some people here support your idea, others say they'll support if you can find a way across some of the problems. That's not a bad response!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

unimpressedod7jn9.jpg

Wow, could you be anymore condescending?
    :eek:
    How the f*ck is giving friendly advice condescending :confused:

You have some chip on your shoulder lad!

j_t_g is just out to fight the powah ... posters like that are easy to ignore.

*awaits ineviatable padlock of doom*

Not too keen on new ideas around here are we? From what ive seen of Boards so far its the online equivelent of an old man stuck in his ways and scared to leave the house :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

6th wrote:
    j_t_g is just out to fight the powah ... posters like that are easy to ignore.

Everyone has the right to an opinion but I'd like to know how he formed that opinion. :)

Advertisement