Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards needs a proper chatroom

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just use a good client for IRC, with whistles...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Saskia wrote:
    *awaits ineviatable padlock of doom*

Not too keen on new ideas around here are we? From what ive seen of Boards so far its the online equivalent of an old man stuck in his ways and scared to leave the house :rolleyes:

It's not, ok, you (the admins) can go to bravenet and attach a dedicated chatroom here. You can ad your Msn to your profile and all your buddies can chat away to you that way if you want.

It is not a new idea, it was here before, it was abused, it stopped. I'm sorry if you think we're all fuddy duddys (apart from me, cuz i am innit) but , well, sorry. We're very sorry, all of us. Honestly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Saskia wrote:

Not too keen on new ideas around here are we? From what ive seen of Boards so far its the online equivelent of an old man stuck in his ways and scared to leave the house :rolleyes:
    That's not it at all Saskia, the problem here is that you've not been around when we tried your particular idea and as DeV and so many of us have said, it's not a viable option, it's not something the admins can have running on their site and rest easy with.

However, you're right about 1 thing, the vultres descended on this thread, but they at least waited until there was an official response from one of the site administrators. Did you report this post and make a proper complaint? For the record, I think they're out of order, you've been reasonable in your questions and the way you've posted, but you don't seem to be taking anything that's been said to you onboard.

This isn't me being a smart arse, but I'm going to make it very, very clear...
    As I see it (and I'm not an admin, but I've been here since the start and I'd say I have a fair idea how alot of the place ticks), there will not ever be an official boards.ie realtime chatroom again. The only way I could imagine something like this happening is when boards.ie has the financial clout to permanently employ 3 - 5 people (taking 8 hour shifts) to monitor the chatroom all the time. This is not going to happen I'm afraid (unless someone's got a few million Euro they'd like to donate).

Now alternatives have been suggested, I don't know if you don't like them or have chosen to ignore them, but it didn't take you long to get up on your high horse talking about mod's ganging up on people etc. How many more times can we say it, just because someone is a mod of a particular board, it doesn't mean they stop being a regular user on every other board. We shouldn't have to be restrained because we have decided to give up our free time and bandwidth to help the site out and it is grossly unfair of you the regular users (and I don't mean all of you, just the vocal minority who want to fight the power and don't realise how hard we've all worked to make this place what it is) to think we must abandon all rights to poke fun or out and out troll on a board we don't moderate if we wish. Moderators can and will be banned for bold behaviour. I really wish there was a way to turn off the Moderator tag and loose a star when a post isn't on the board we moderate.

The problem here is DeV didn't lock the thread after making his reply, but had he done that, someone else would be whinging about "Admins won't listen to me, they locked my thread without letting me answer!!!" Do you see how it is for the lads? They can't win! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Kharn wrote:
    That's not it at all...

Remove all other Feedback stickies and sticky that post instead! Well said. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

The flashchat applet would be a lot more secure than the IRC one. I'm not too sure of the full extent of options but I know it's very customisable and that there are probably boards who have had the same worries as the admins have here and perhaps have found a way to combat that with the applet. As I said, we don't have the problem on our site because it's nowhere near as busy and very easy to moderate. I think a big difference is that you can't log in as anything other than your boards username, meaning a quick /nick or whatever the IRC command is wont do anything, if you can be site banned, you can be banned off the chat, unlike IRC as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

It says you msut be authed to join #boards on IRC, how do you do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Saskia wrote:

ah yes, the inevitable insult throwing when your suggestion is passed over for several reasons, all of which are explained to you, but which you just choose to ignore.
    Saskia wrote:
    Not too keen on new ideas around here are we?

not at all. we love new ideas here.

but what you seem unaware of is that all users on here are entitled to an opinion. if some people think your idea sucks, they will probably say that.
    some people may like the idea. and they will tell you that too.

some people may actually give youa reason why things may, or may not work.

in fact, i think i asked you why you felt a chat channel would add to the site and the sense of community, but you seem to have ignored that.

this site has a community. in fact, its got a good one. however, if you cannot stand any critisism, im not surprised that you dont feel welcome here. apart form the fact that you havent been here long enough to wedge yourself into the place.

and then giving out about 'the mods' for charging in, as someone rightly pointed out is quite ironic.
    dont you think?
    so now we cant have a community unless you are in it? come on now, less of the double standardds and lets focus more on your idea.
    Saskia wrote:
    From what ive seen of Boards so far its the online equivelent of an old man stuck in his ways and scared to leave the house :rolleyes:

ah, the condesending smilie, the crutch reserved for those who cant communicate.

but your observations dont add up. old man stuck in its ways?

this place has changed so much since it started. this place changes every day. its changed since you started posting, and it will continue to.

i dont know what your problem really is, apart from the fact that this site fails to fulfill your need for commuity and validation. but that is simply not the problem of this site. thats your issue.
    let me put it this way, you get out of this site what you put in. ive put in more than the occassional smart remark and the odd idiotic post.
    i get a lot back. and i know a lot of people on here.

your suggestion didnt fly. thats ok. if you want acceptence on a grand scale without working for it, then think up another blinding idea and come back.

but dont dare to come here and start the insults becuase your first idea didnt take off. we are not here to validate you, and were not here to make you feel cuddly and warm either.

if you want to talk to people who post on boards.ie, then use irc.
    if you dont like the 'look and feel of it', then i suggest you go without.

Archimedes wrote:
    It says you msut be authed to join #boards on IRC, how do you do this?

look at the help files in your irc client.
    it means adding in a password so that when you sign into irc you use the same name all the time and you are then registered. kind of.

long time since i played with it and cant remember the exact details.

im sure a quick google would give you all the answers you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Read the quakenet faq on their website for details on how to auth.

10:13 -!- Irssi: Starting query in quakenet with q
    10:14 <sj> showcommands
    10:14 -Q(TheQBot@CServe.quakenet.org)- hello Creates a new user account in the bot. - level 0.
    10:15 <sj> help hello
    10:15 -Q(TheQBot@CServe.quakenet.org)- /msg Q HELLO user@mymailhost.xx user@mymailhost.xx
    10:15 -Q(TheQBot@CServe.quakenet.org)- Creates a new user account in the bot, and sends the generated password to the supplied email address. Your email address MUST be given twice, to check that you didn't mistype it. Note that there are *NO HOSTMASKS* on this bot. Other bots allow you to ident if you just know the password, so this one just uses the password and scraps the hostmask as pointless.
    10:16 <sj> help auth
    10:16 -Q(TheQBot@CServe.quakenet.org)- /msg Q@CServe.quakenet.org AUTH <authname> <password>
    10:16 -Q(TheQBot@CServe.quakenet.org)- This will identify you on the bot as <authname> until you next quit from IRC.

Then join #boards. Then just PM me ON BOARDS.IE with your authname. I do not want your auth password, but I need your auth name to voice you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

To Register:
    /msg Q HELLO user@host.com user@host.com

Then to auth type;
    /msg Q@CServe.quakenet.org auth username password
    /j #boards
    /msg me(My name will be TarAldarion or Tearaway.) to verify your details, and I will let you talk in there once you have verified it is the real you, through PM.

EDIT: damn you scojones!
    :)

• Advertisement

Snap! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Pft, someone took bluewolf and stole blueywolf off me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Saskia

ah yes, the inevitable insult throwing when your suggestion is passed over for several reasons, all of which are explained to you, but which you just choose to ignore.

not at all. we love new ideas here.

but what you seem unaware of is that all users on here are entitled to an opinion. if some people think your idea sucks, they will probably say that.
    some people may like the idea. and they will tell you that too.

some people may actually give youa reason why things may, or may not work.

in fact, i think i asked you why you felt a chat channel would add to the site and the sense of community, but you seem to have ignored that.

this site has a community. in fact, its got a good one. however, if you cannot stand any critisism, im not surprised that you dont feel welcome here. apart form the fact that you havent been here long enough to wedge yourself into the place.

and then giving out about 'the mods' for charging in, as someone rightly pointed out is quite ironic.
    dont you think?
    so now we cant have a community unless you are in it? come on now, less of the double standardds and lets focus more on your idea.

ah, the condesending smilie, the crutch reserved for those who cant communicate.

but your observations dont add up. old man stuck in its ways?

this place has changed so much since it started. this place changes every day. its changed since you started posting, and it will continue to.

i dont know what your problem really is, apart from the fact that this site fails to fulfill your need for commuity and validation. but that is simply not the problem of this site. thats your issue.
    let me put it this way, you get out of this site what you put in. ive put in more than the occassional smart remark and the odd idiotic post.
    i get a lot back. and i know a lot of people on here.

your suggestion didnt fly. thats ok. if you want acceptence on a grand scale without working for it, then think up another blinding idea and come back.

but dont dare to come here and start the insults becuase your first idea didnt take off. we are not here to validate you, and were not here to make you feel cuddly and warm either.

if you want to talk to people who post on boards.ie, then use irc.
    if you dont like the 'look and feel of it', then i suggest you go without.

lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

IRC is fantastic for what it is. A simple text based irc client. No ****ty winks, nudges or smilies.

Jump onto quakenet as outlined above, grab a Q account and join #boards. Im 'Winties' ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

bluewolf wrote:
    Pft, someone took bluewolf and stole blueywolf off me.

There was an impersonator trying to infiltrate #boards using your name. 100 bonus points if you can guess who it was, bluey.

You can just register a new auth if you want to come and visit us :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

See you don't get any of that sh1t with the flashchat thing, you can't pretend to be anyone else if the username is taken on boards:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Steven wrote:
    There was an impersonator trying to infiltrate #boards using your name. 100 bonus points if you can guess who it was, bluey.

You can just register a new auth if you want to come and visit us :D.

Has he cleared off? I'm not gonna bother if I've to go through this again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

He's banned. You can completely ensure that he won't be able to speak to you by disabling PMs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Saskia wrote:
    The community feel on Boards is non existent, a chatroom with scheduled times for chats could help that. All there seems to be posts wise is a load of arrogance lately. There is so much potential for a chatroom.

Says she with how many posts ?

You say there is no community feel, correct? Well if so, why do we meet up for regular beers, lans, meals ect ect.

If you really want a chatroom, join our irc chan using a cgi irc client thats all coulorfull and pretty.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

With regards to the new ideas, click here to see some suggestions and here to see some of the approved ideas.

I was going to go on a rant, but WWM beat me to it and said it more clearly than I would have.

One last thing, of the three people you quoted above and inferred they were part of a clique, only two were mods.

One more last thing. I posted a lot of crap here when I first joined (worse than the crap I now post) and I was pulled up on it. I eventually got the feel of the place and I now love it.
    There is a great community feel here, but only if you are willing to put the effort in.
    Would you go to any other social arena and expect people to run over and start talking to you right away?
    No. And boards.ie is just the same.
    If you only make a small contribution, then people here will not recognise you and will not know who you are. Give it time and put the effort in and you will become one of us. one of us.
    Ask anyone outside of the forums I frequent if they know who I am.
    Most (if not all) of them wouldn't have a clue, because I tend to use six or seven forums regularly. The rest don't really appeal to my tastes.
    Find your niche here and you will become part of the community. It just doesn't happen overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Saskia wrote:
    Not too keen on new ideas around here are we? From what ive seen of Boards so far its the online equivelent of an old man stuck in his ways and scared to leave the house :rolleyes:

Honest mistake:
    "Hey, I've a new idea, how about we [old idea abandoned because it had considerable problems, only using suckier technology]".

Stupid:
    "Hey, I've a new idea, how about we [same idea after it was already explained that it was an old idea that was abandoned because it had considerable problems]".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

they should go to a boards beer, and i will have sex with them...

Yore on!

youre not a newbie.
    sorry.

denied.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I don't see us endorsing an 'official' chatroom any time soon - at least until we can find a way to fix some of the previous problems we've had.

Feel free to make them anyway - one of the things I love about boards is the way people spin out stuff all the time, but we're unlikely to officially stamp them. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

TBH, the whole "mods this" and "inevitable padlock that" thing makes me suspect he or she just ponder over what idea they could suggest that would be reasonably sensible at face value but obviously bad to those who know the community so they could get some ego-boo out of a fight.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

A now-dead site i used to be a mod on had a thing called DigiChat. The boards used UBB, but given the prevelance of vB it must be possible to tie the two together.

Trouble is, given a few things that have happened legally (read the sticky at the forum top), once something is said in a chatroom there's no going back.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The problem isnt the technology, tech issues can always be fixed. The problem is that the general public contains a number of utter 'tards who find it amusing/self-aggrandising to cause other people grief. They may be a minority however they are not in any way out-weighed by the majority of decent normal people. Their impact is disproportionately large and pain-causing. When we had IRC I was utterly sick of people PMing me saying someone was harrassing them and causing them heartache and pain.

Boards moves at a leisurely enough pace that we can enforce certain standards with volunteerism moderatorship. In a word it is "manageable" by the mods in their spare time which they are happy to donate to us. That dynamic works because we dont require a huge amount of their time. Moderating chat would certainly require minute by minute moderatorship.
    Or were you suggesting we should leave it as a free for all with all the Phishing, Goatse, scams, advertisements, abuse, spam and trolls that implies?? Id like an answer to that.

Presuming you arent suggesting that, such a workload wouldnt fly with our moderatorship system, nor would it scale, we could watch one or two rooms perhaps by taking shifts each between all the mods but what good is one or two rooms? We'd need a room for each unique topic really, I mean, would the humanities posters want to share the space with poker arguments and tech discussions?

I think you're immediate waaaah about people jumping on your idea is an emotional response and I dont appreciate your comments likening us to "an old man". We do take on new ideas, slowly and tentatively because we value our resources and time. We think things through and apply scale considerations to them. We are open to new ideas, but this is neither new, nor good.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Saskia wrote:
    IRC looks like something the army used back in the 1970s. Horrible horible look and feel.
    So it has to be shiny to be attractive and useful?

*sigh*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

a chat room could result in less topics being expanded as people just rant in chat.

S

Advertisement