Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budgie health

Options
  • 26-02-2007 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi Everyone

I was wondering if you could please help me out, I have 2 budgies (1 male & 1 female) at the moment, both of them seem to be suffering from loose bowel. I been to a number of pet shops and both asked me did I buy seed from a source i would not usually use and I said yes.
    Both recommended avol mixture but i'm not sure if this is working. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Did the loose droppings start after you changed their diet?
    If so this is most likely the cause. I would avoid pet shop re packeged seeds you don't always know how long they have been on the shelf for or what brand it is.

Best thing to do is move them to either Trill or Vitakraft, when changing their seed it needs to be done gradually.
    Avoid giving them any greens at the moment as well.
    Avol mixture can work but if it hasn't over 2 or 3 days it might be an idea to take them to the vets to make sure they aren't dehydrated.

This food is excellent you are supposed to switch them slowly to it but it's so expensive that I mix it in with a good quality budgie seed it might be worth getting a small bag, a small bag mixed with say Trill or Vitakraft will last you ages for 2 budgies.
    http://www.24parrot.com/__12_product_info3_asp2_5_prdID4_42775_usrID36_1510BD9A-93A9-4EC0-B393-DAC9F91CE7E13.html

It's excellent stuff I found one of my birds who is prone to loose droppings has improved hugely on it. They ship to Ireland as well just e-mail them for the price.

Here's is a site that will give you examples of what could be wrong, don't want to alarm you it's probably just the change in the food but no harm in being armed with the info esp if you have to visit a vet.
    http://www.birds-online.de/gesundheit/gesallgemein/indikatorkot_en.htm

Hope this helps, keep plenty of water available for them and keep them nice and warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Hi

Thanks for this and yes the loose droppings started after I changed their diet but I've gone back to their regular diet. In relation to dehydration, they are drink fluid and very active and playful at the moment
    I've now dilluted the avol mixture with water and dipped it in bread to get them to eat more. If they don't get any better by the weekend they will be off to the vet.
    can anyone recommend a good vet for birds near dublin 6

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not sure how healthy bread is for budgies it could swell out their stomach so I would avoid it (now I could be wrong but just in case thought I'd mention it).
    Also the Avol mixture can only be used for a certain amount of time I think so if it's not working I would stop using it (check instructions just in casey). Not sure of any vets in Dublin but you could try Bairbre O'Malley in Bray.

Or irishanimals.ie have a list of vets

Advertisement