Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reason for Marble Tiles lifting off floor.

Options
  • 26-02-2007 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

we have a large hallway with marble tiles set down. they have been down for 2.5 years now.
    The other evening the whole center across the floor area lifted with a large sound of the adhesive lifting. now two rungs of tiles across the floor are lifted in a kind of triangle about 1 inch off the ground. almost like a bubble.
    We called the builder and he in turn called the tiler who said the wrong grouting was used and that there was probably a pipe under the tiles in that spot and the heat lifted the tiles because the wrong adhesive was used.
    He sent us off to get two new boxes of tiles and he'd have the tiler lay them down with the correct adhesive.
    The tiles cannot be gotten now as it is 2.5 years ago, so we are looking at the prospect of replacing 25 sq ft of marble tiles!!
    I got onto the insurance this morning and they said that ist was unusual that it took 2.5 years for the heat to raise the tiles, and that actualy sounds unusual to me too now.
    They suggested that there may be a leak under the tiles adn to get a plumber out to do a pressure test to check.
    Anyone have any ideas on the whole situation above? get a plumber out?
    I was told to leave the tiles for the tiler to see, but I'm going home this evening and lifitng them to check for a leak...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

if the floor the tiles are on, i can guarantee the wrong adhesive was used(providing theres no leak)

onto wooden floors, firstly the plywood should be no thinner than 6mm, also, it should be nailed with RINGSHANK nails(or screwed) every 3 to 4 inchs, this reduces any bounce

as for thr adhesive ,some tile shops, mainly the daft daves of this world sell some crappy adhesives, its not uncommon for them to sell normal rapid sety and a bottle of liquid called ADMIX, its a white latex liquid, on a personal level, i NEVER TRUST it, you mix it through the normal adhesive and it supposedly makes it flexible, im sure it does to some extent, but its not flexible adhesive, i dont care what them salesmen in tile shops try to say

if its not a wooden floor its onto, and the floor is concrete, then id have to say its either

A) cheap adhesive

or

B) a bad batch of adhesive, a bad batch is common, of course the tile shop will never admit this, but we had an instance last summer, we did 2 jobs with the same batch of adhesive, unfortunetly, both came up, we got the rep out to test the adhesive, and it came back that the batch was faulty,

if you want to be fussy when you`re tiler is coming to fix these tiles, try and use 1 of these 2 brands of adhesives and grouts

PCI, heres their link http://www.pci-construction-systems.co.uk/

or

BAL, link here , http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/

these would be about the best gear on the market, in my humble opinion

hope this helps

Chris Bonnie

Advertisement