Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What music?

Options
  • 26-02-2007 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

do you like? not related to lc, but i think this is required, i like blink 182(R.I.P) Plus 44, I hate Green Day!!! and hate dance music, Nelly furtado is class!!
    does anyone listen to music when studying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Metal. Favourite band would be Nevermore, then Opeth, Nirvana (has been for years), Cradle of Filth, Satyricon etc.

Haven't tried it with study, but with homework I ended up putting lyrics into answers if the words were similar...it really doesn't work too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

I kinda live in the past when it comes to music, there arent many contemporary artists that I like. Into the beatles, tranny bowie, queen, other kinda synthie bands also. I also appreciate classical music.

Generally speaking, I'm not very productive when I listen and study but I guess it comes down to the individual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭adamcp

tend not to listen to music unless I'm rewritin stuff like notes I missed or a final edit of an essay, I tend to start thinking on whatever the song reminds me of

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

If the music has little or now lyrics, (like Mogwai or Sigur Ros or Classical stuff) then I have no problem with listening. If there are lyrics, I usually just end up writing down more lyrics than actual... schoolwork.

Otherwise, I like most styles of music. I only really don't like metal in general, then subgenres of other styles. Every style has a place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I've never come across a successful student who listened to music while studying. My guess is it's bad.

And I'm your generic elitist music obsessive who is likely to think your favourite band is shít but couldn't be bothered to argue about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

I'm into the likes of Smashing Pumpkins and Muse. Would probably listen to it if I'm transcribing notes or homework, but never when I'm studying

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

I do pass maths, so in the evenings I always start my homework with maths (as it's the easiest) I always listen to music when doing maths but no other subject. Music,no matter how enjoyable, is distracting when doing homework and study. Maths is just numbers so I find it doesn't affect my work at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

It seriously hinders my concentration, and it's already bad enough as it is. Even if you think it does help you, in the exam it's going to be much harder to recall the stuff because you will have learned it while hearing the music, so you won't recall all of it unless you can hear the music

• Registered Users Posts: 83,535 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Music seriously hinders concentration when studying. Working is another story, but it just doesnt work with studying I have learned.

If you must have noise on I suggest classical or instrumental. You need the speech centre of your brain reserved for studying; reading and thinking with your inner monologue is helpful.

Im not particular about music but pop-punk like Blink gets to me and most of that nasty Rap tripe makes me want to kill someone. If you must listen to it pick something good like 2pac or the Beastie Boys.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

In general - metal, mainly power metal

For study - something complex like prog, or classical (trans-siberian orchestra ftw :D)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 candee82

:D....yeah -- i agree, people are basically getting sick of the same old rock/hip-hop/r&b bullsh*t..... :pac:and there is just this big upsurge from a new style coming out of Europe -- best place i've found it so far is a compilation series called 'euro club hits' on itunes -- or check this link: :cool:http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSearch.woa/wa/advancedSearchResults?albumTerm=Euro+Club+Hits+Vol+

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

blink 182(R.I.P)

Ever heard why they are named Blink 182 and not Blink? It's down to my uncle and his Irish band.:p

Advertisement